Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Merry Christmas to Me!

This year my Christmas present to myself was sleeve surgery. Yes, Christmas Eve I had my surgery. Spent Christmas Day in the hospital. I love my family for adapting and not even blinking an eye as this Christmas was all about me and my health. Thank you to Dr. Fariba Dayhim at Easterm Maine Medical Center in Bangor Maine. She is great if any of you out there are wondering.

My question.....I am about to progress to soft foods next Monday. Anybody out there found any products in the stores one wouldn't normally think of for this phase? Any advice?

Congratulations! That was a big commitment, sacrificing Christmas to get sleeved - but I understand why you would do that... Great family too!

Re the food, that's pretty quick to move to soft foods, my doc had me go through liquids and mushy foods before soft foods at 6 weeks out. Just check it's soft foods not mushy stuff you are moving on to :-)

Keep it simple and stick to what's on your plan. Nothing processed, Protein is the priority. At the soft foods stage, I was allowed very moist chicken/tuna (I gave it a quick whack in the food processor to make it a bit more mushed and added milk) scrambled egg, ground beef, poached fish, avocado, cottage cheese and added a little soft veggies, banana and other soft cheeses. I also kept eating thick Soup with added milk for extra protein.Other people had shrimp, scallops etc

Hope this is helpful - and good luck on your journey!

Thanks so much for the info. Great help.

My plan is similar to yours. Sleeved on the 23rd, came home Christmas Day. I am on full liquids / pureed foods until Sunday, then I can start soft foods on Monday. So far, I have not had any problem with vomiting, dumping or stricture...I have just been eating very carefully. I also have a follow-up appt. on Monday, so I am sure that progression to soft foods will be discussed. My plan calls for two weeks of soft foods, then on to regular food.

I ate 1/2 scrambled egg yesterday and did all right. Come Monday, I will probably eat normal kitchen food, run through the blender like mashed potatoes - just not watery like purees. I will also still be cautious about anything very spicey.

Congratulations Miss Mac! Hope you are well and that you are surviving the first few weeks, which I found the toughest. But with your Scottish blood, you'll handle it fine!

Thanks, Indigo...I have to good fortune of being retired with a low drama - long distance family. This way I can recover in peace and quiet.

To Maddenam...good luck with your recovery...let us know how you do.