Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being successful in the band land is determined by your eating and mentality. I have always been a good cook and the very reason I weighed almost 300lbs. I feel that food should taste good and I don't even make a boring chicken salad. But this recipe I have used many times, added things subtracted things and it has endless possibilities. Seasonings: learn to use them to make food taste good. I will post other recipes that I have made. This one is just delish.

Here is my black bean casserole. It is delicious and packed with Protein.

Cook Time

Prep time: 15 min

Cook time: 30 min

Ready in: 45 min

Yields: Makes six servings

Ingredients

•1 cup roasted garlic and olive oil couscous, A Taste of East makes this product
•2 15oz cans black Beans washed and drained
•1/2 cup chopped peppers
•1/2 cup chopped scallions
•1/2 cup to a cup Kraft fat free cheddar cheese
•1 cup mild Salsa
•2 eggs
•1 cup Fat free mozzarella cheese
•2 tbl spoons Sour Cream
•1 tsp chopped scallions
•cooking spray

Directions

1.Make couscous according to package directions. I used a Taste of East box mix. Takes less then five minutes.
2.Add all ingredients except eggs and salsa and mozzarella cheese.< br />3.Add one table spoon of fresh chopped garlic, and pepper. I did not use salt because the couscous is salty enough.
4.Mix Salsa and eggs together in a separate bowl then pour on top of the bean mixture. Do not mix it together.
5.Pour in a 9x 12 baking dish that is sprayed with cooking spray and top with mozzarella cheese.
6.Bake on 350 degrees for 30 minutes
7.Let dish sit for 15 minutes before serving
8.Top with sour cream and scallions for garnish
9.Enjoy!

I also like to use dried black Beans. If I chose to use dry beans I season them with garlic, seasoning salt, black pepper and Badia season all, cook them in some chicken stock until they are tender.

•1/2 cup chopped peppers

Cheryl, I am assuming these are bell peppers? While I could hand 1/2 cup of Jalepenos or Habeneros, I don't think my girls could ;)

would i have to use couscous?

what that make a difference if i did not?

Yes Terry they are bell peppers. I would think it would be quite zappy if you added some not to hot peppers to it. I guess you wouldn't have to use cous cous but it does give it more flavor. Cous cous has more Protein in it then people give it credit for. I have used Quinoa also but that can be expensive. I will have to play with it for other things to add in place of the cous cous because that gives it a good flavor.

The pic I took of the last one I made

i like and am going to make. i think even my crazy husband might like this. this is a spin on rice and Beans. the good luck dish. yummy!

would i have to use couscous?

what that make a difference if i did not?

How about trying it with Quinoa -- finally something yummy to do with all that Quinoa in the pantry. I love black Beans, garlic, etc. Thanks for this little inspiration. One thing I've noticed in these early days of being banded -- I love Beans now. Crave them. Throughout the holidays at every party there has been some kind of bean something and that has become my go-to food at an event like that.

Happy New Year all you cooks out there! Now if we could just get Terry to deliver the Kale smoothies and Cheryl this casserole we'd be all set.

One thing I do is pour the salsa and egg in the pan not on top of mixture this is your base to hold it all together.

Edited by cheryl2586

Looks yummy!