Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Morning Thoughts

After browsing through "New Content" posts this morning, I noticed a common theme, and one that is not new by no means with the Lap Band Surgery.

Instead of saying the same thing in each thread, i figured I would put my thoughts here in a new topic...

The following is just what I have experienced and learned with the band, what it True for ME..... NOT saying everyone MUST do the same.

I'M NOT PREACHING!!!!

Having this surgery, there is a large learning phase that HAD to happen....the Dr. and staff cannot be all that specific because everyone is different and reacts differently....

All they can do is give us a set of "Rules", tell us to start practicing them, even BEFORE surgery, until they become a habit, without giving them a second thought, because after a few fills, these rules will be the only way you will be able to live and have the band function properly......and then I learned as time went on, that some of the rules applied more so than others, and a few rules fell by the wayside....but it was only after practicing and learning this new lifestyle.

I read everyday, where a poster , especially someone new to this, will say "My Dr. said I shall NOT do this, or that" and they would be correct in following and not second guessing that rule....get it in your head now, not when you realize you need it....

I was told, there will come a time eventually, if I followed My Dr.'s band adjustment protocol, treatment plan, I will come to a crossroads where I will begin to get stuck, slime, spit up food, experience pain...etc...

This can certainly have this happen if your band is too tight, and needs attention from your Dr....OR.....you can also have this happen because you are not following the rules you were warned you would need to have as a new habit someday....

That day has come...how was I supposed to chew? How big of bites? Should I drink with my meals? How much time between swallows of food?

What can be interpreted as a tight band, can also be interpreted as improper eating habits, improper foods, etc...

No one out here in cyber space can know for sure how another person behaves when it comes to food.....

I was told, pre-surgery, that this will change my life.....IT DID.....but when people think about this changing our life, we immediately think about being skinny....but it is a lot more than just loosing weight....it changed my life in respect to HOW I eat.....WHAT I eat...and WHEN I eat (how often) and also my overall feelings about food and the need/desire to eat...all of THAT was the biggest change of all.....the weight loss and good health naturally and effortlessly followed.

Finding that "Groove" that "Sweet Spot", "Green Zone"...whatever you want to call it...now that was the where the hard work, frustration, etc, all took place.....and I needed to start getting ready for it from day one.....

Ok, so much for my early morning thoughts...Happy New Year !!! (I'm pissed because the gym is closed today)

Edited by B-52

Right on B52 I think the whole problem that a lot have is they do not eat properly. Sure I had a hell yesterday of sliming, puking because I tried to eat a whole cookie that I baked for my husband not for me and that is what I got in return. It takes me at least 30 minutes to eat and if you don't think that heating up eggs about 4 times is fun that is what I do not to eat cold food. If you don't learn to eat properly with your band then you will always be miserable and pb and puke and get stuck. Its a new life, slower eating which is probably 90 percent of everyones problems. Put the fork down in between bites and read or something do a cross word puzzle while you are eating. Pay attention and when that tightness starts then don't force more food on top of it.

Thanks for your insight, both of you! I am so glad that I had started eating much healthier (Paleo) & working out 3-4 months pre-op. This makes it much easier to continue as I introduce foods back into my diet. My mind was already in the healthier mode, just needed one more tool to start the weight loss to kick in. My doctor cleared me for going back to the gym and starting out slowly on the machines, tomorrow will be my first day back. I'm sure that I will experience issues as time goes but for right now, all is well :)

Right on, as usual, B-52!

"but it is a lot more than just loosing weight....it changed my life in respect to HOW I eat.....WHAT I eat...and WHEN I eat (how often) and also my overall feelings about food and the need/desire to eat...all of THAT was the biggest change of all.....the weight loss and good health naturally and effortlessly followed."

The mental part is what I am most worried about. How I feel about food. The role food plays in my life is huge right now. It is going to have to change officially January 6th, the date of my banding. There have been some changes about the way I see food in the last few weeks. I feel like I have gone through grieving food and had the opportunity to eat my favorite unhealthy foods "one last time." In some ways I think it is helpful to have my banding right after the holidays b/c I got all of foods in that I really enjoy, so it will not be so hard to not have them.

On this low carb diet I have noticed that I am full about ten - 15 mins after I am done eating my pre-portioned meals which is new to me. I typically eat until I am uncomfortably full. This is just the start for many changes to come for me. I am looking forward to them and to having some rules back in my life when it comes to eating.

Thank You for your thoughts as they help me to focus on my thoughts and feelings.

"but it is a lot more than just loosing weight....it changed my life in respect to HOW I eat.....WHAT I eat...and WHEN I eat (how often) and also my overall feelings about food and the need/desire to eat...all of THAT was the biggest change of all.....the weight loss and good health naturally and effortlessly followed."

The mental part is what I am most worried about. How I feel about food. The role food plays in my life is huge right now. It is going to have to change officially January 6th, the date of my banding. There have been some changes about the way I see food in the last few weeks. I feel like I have gone through grieving food and had the opportunity to eat my favorite unhealthy foods "one last time." In some ways I think it is helpful to have my banding right after the holidays b/c I got all of foods in that I really enjoy, so it will not be so hard to not have them.

On this low carb diet I have noticed that I am full about ten - 15 mins after I am done eating my pre-portioned meals which is new to me. I typically eat until I am uncomfortably full. This is just the start for many changes to come for me. I am looking forward to them and to having some rules back in my life when it comes to eating.

Thank You for your thoughts as they help me to focus on my thoughts and feelings.

We all have had that grief for food but to me I feel wonderful. Never tired as I used to be after consuming a million unhealthy carbs every day of my life. You will feel better, sleep better and look better. I had the chance to have my last meal and decided it was no big deal. I wasn't giving up anything good for me anyway. You will look at food in a different way and wont every have to feel that uncomfortable feeling again.

Right on B52 I think the whole problem that a lot have is they do not eat properly. Sure I had a hell yesterday of sliming, puking because I tried to eat a whole cookie that I baked for my husband not for me and that is what I got in return. It takes me at least 30 minutes to eat and if you don't think that heating up eggs about 4 times is fun that is what I do not to eat cold food. If you don't learn to eat properly with your band then you will always be miserable and pb and puke and get stuck. Its a new life, slower eating which is probably 90 percent of everyones problems. Put the fork down in between bites and read or something do a cross word puzzle while you are eating. Pay attention and when that tightness starts then don't force more food on top of it.

I love what you said about heating your food 4 times during the course of a meal. I do that at every meal. I like my hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Thank goodness for microwaves!