Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAIR LOSS!

I am 4 days shy of my 3 months post op. Down 60 pounds, feeling better and better each day BUT.......

......the dreaded hair loss has kicked in :(

I am a blonde and already have thin hair so this is just awful. I've been researching products. Anyone ever use Nioxin Shampoo system? Or, do can you recommend a better brand? I know only time is the answer and getting in as much Protein as possible, but I need to do something else proactive.

Thanks!

Is it ok for me to move this to a more appropriate place so you can get more answers? This part of the forum is about food and nutrition. You can also search the forums for "hair loss" as it is an extremely common topic.

Nioxin is excellent! I lost all my hair in 2007 due to cancer and as soon as I could started using this!! I have long thick hair now and I'm gonna start taking the Biotin to help just in case! Right now I'm only 5 weeks out!

Aren't hair loss and nutrition linked? Sorry, I thought so. I searched "hair loss" and 1000 posts came up non of which had anything to do with hair loss.....

if you move this how do I find it again? I find this site's forums to be extremely complicated and not too user friendly.

Ok, I've found some other forums with more feedback.

Aren't Hair loss and nutrition linked? Sorry, I thought so. I searched "hair loss" and 1000 posts came up non of which had anything to do with hair loss..... if you move this how do I find it again? I find this site's forums to be extremely complicated and not too user friendly.

If I move it you will still be subscribed to it and will get notified when you get replies. But I can leave it where it is.

I'm finding some answers to my questions now, thank you for your help!

I am 5 months out and I have lost approx half the thickness of my hair which was very very thick and long. I am daily saddened and worried about my Hair loss. I have started some new Vitamins and I use nixion, not sure if it helps or not. I have been curious from some of the veterans how long before their hair was back to normal? Good luck!

I'm 5 mos out and boy o boy!, In losing so much. I take 10 k Biotin, Protein and vits . I have special Shampoo n conditioner. Protein spray. Nothing is really working:-(

My Hair loss is just now kicking in. :( I've been taking Biotin and silica, trying to watch my Protein. Bottom line is that surgery and anesthesia will stress your body and hair loss is one of the results. What you need to do now is try to nourish the hair that has yet to grow. Maybe look for a product that will coat and thicken the hair and look into a haircut that will flatter thinner hair. I was going to grow mine back out to my shoulders but until the shedding stops, I'll keep it at chin level.

I think the haircut is my answer....unfortunately

I've been growing it out for years because I had short hair ALL my life. But, at least I know it suits me. I will just have to suck it up and get through this phase with a good attitude. From what I've researched, there's no REAL proof that all the shampoos, vits, Biotin or what have you actually really prevent the loss. It's just an unfortunate, guaranteed side effect but thank God, seems like most folks have experienced good re-growth!

Where's the baseball caps & scarves aisle??!

I've been taking Biotin since before surgery14 months ago, and silica for about a year - I still have a bit of shedding at the sides, but overall my hair is growing longer - downside is I'm also getting more facial and even chest hair (where it wasn't before!)... I use thickening shampoos and conditioners and products, which help the overall effect... I do think its a wait it out sort of thing, but if I had my time over, I'd still take the biotin for sure! Good luck x

I am almost one year! Jan. 14. I lost about half the thickness of my hair also. It has been growing back for about 3 1/2 months now. I have about 2 1/2 in sprout all over, some longer pieces underneath, so yes it does come back. Probably by about 18 months it will be back to normal, small price to pay for being happy and

Suggestion: Maybe the 'BariatricPal host' should include the link to where you will move a post, so we all can readily access it.

Suggestion: Maybe the 'BariatricPal host' should include the link to where you will move a post, so we all can readily access it.

If you have already posted in a post and it gets moved, it is still in your list and you don't need to find it again. Just go to yiur "subscribed" content and it will be there. But I'm not moving this one because the OP didn't want me to.