Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving up meat is not the end of the world

This post stemmed from a young lady who wanted her band out because she can not eat meat. Well life can be lived without meat if your band doesn't like it. I have been a perfectly healthy vegan for 3 out of my four years being banded. If a day arises that I can eat meat then I take advantage of that day, if not then I move on to so many other things that are so good. Sautéed yellow squash seasoned to perfection stir fried and place on a bed of baby salad greens. Tofu and sautéed cabbage to die for. There are many other options out there besides meat. Wonderful well seasoned black Beans on a bed of couscous. Both are packed with Protein. The problem is that we think we need meat to live and that is farther from the truth. You can happily live without meat and have wonderful great tasting food.< /p>

i love meat. but i am now realizing that perhaps meat isn't going to be the big thing on my plate. today i did research on what foods make a complete Protein. there are a lot of foods that i love that together make a complete Protein so i'm not going to be sad anymore. says I, until i see someone eating a rib eye steak. :angry: but i know i am still adjusting but i like to plan ahead.

My Dr.',s, including my cardiologist, have been preaching to me for years about the need for me to give up meat...the compromise was if I was to enjoy a T-Bone, etc, at least try to keep it down to once a week....

After being banded, and the 2nd fill, it began to become problematic to eat meat...my Surgeon said this was not uncommon....

So, seeing how I have always been pushed in that direction, I gave it up entirely.....

I did not do it for "Bambi", but for health reasons.....

I got my health back...100% and then some...was there a direct correlation to not eating meat? can't put a finger on it and there it is, but I am certain there is....all my blood work is perfect, and a lot of that was from no longer eating animal fat, I'm sure.

If you are ever around geriatrics, or visit someone in a nursing home, long term care facility, you will see there is hardly meat offered on the menu....it just does not go easy on the digestive process....

NOW that I no longer eat meat, I start to be more aware of the other issues....there was a big article in the news lately about the FDA, and pumping copious amounts of antibiotics into cattle so they would be disease free for humans to consume safley (?) There is a reason Frank Purdue makes his chickens extra "Plump and Juicy"...when their feet never touch the ground their entire short lived lives....

But all that only started for me to notice recently....it was all about the band initially....

The other thing about being banded....because I eat so little nowadays....grocery shopping is not what it used to be...so it is easier to select organic foods, non processed, and also look for "free range" chicken when available...

Yes, it is more expensive, but I purchase so little...it all evens out.

Edited by B-52

I wouldn't go as far as wanting my band removed- because I love him so much, but I would never adjust it to a point where I wouldn't be able to enjoy my steaks, chicken & ribs.

It's difficult to convey that after getting a band people may not be able to tolerate certain foods but also that they may not even want them -- that their desires may change or what seems like will really matter does not anymore....I think as people consider their futures they are nervous about potentially having to forfeit something, whether bread or meat or however it may shake down -- when in fact the idea is that our appetites will be dimmed and we won't be ruled by food desires the way we once were. Or that our bodies are rejecting something as it won't go down well, and that's why we are doing this, to be well. The difficulty is in finding out what those things are for our own bodies. Last night I had sushi and was nervous as I have not even tried rice. It's so glutinous and I don't need those carbs but the sushi was there and, well, no problems at all. But I'm not at the green zone yet so I know I may need sashimi next time -- fish pieces with no rice -- and I'm okay with that. And I am avoiding shrimp. Nervous about that one.

Terry I love Quinoa and Cous Cous they are both full of Protein and you can add them to anything. Taste of east makes a wonderful cous cous that is flavored. I also make a darn good black bean burger that goes down good and taste good. My husband and I eat a lot of different Beans with different spices. I have learned to make a lot of things that taste really good and do not include meat.

I don't enjoy steak, pork chops or most red meat anylonger. I eat a lot of fish, and some chicken. I,agree, that you can eat healthy and get your Protein in other ways. Happy New Year, Karen..aka..kll724

Terry I love Quinoa and Cous Cous they are both full of Protein and you can add them to anything. Taste of east makes a wonderful cous cous that is flavored. I also make a darn good black bean burger that goes down good and taste good. My husband and I eat a lot of different Beans with different spices. I have learned to make a lot of things that taste really good and do not include meat.

My family loves Beans, made frijoles refritos last weekend and navy bean Soup is scheduled for this weekend. I have both Cous Cous and Quinoa in the pantry, although I haven't tried the quinoa yet. I'm not in any danger of becoming a vegetarian, but meat consumption has definitely been reduced.

Funny u all are saying this!

Just yesterday, for the 1st time ever, and idk if i cld be just too tight after this last fill 5 days ago, but i tried beef tips w/rice and gravy. It hurt soooo much! I just had to bring it back up.

And last night after only one bite of fried chicken at a NYE party, same exact thing.

I absolutely hated vomitting at a friends house but this "stuck" pain i get now just takes my breath away. My eyes Water the slime begins and let me just say, its not pretty.

Should i expect my band to loosen, like it has in the past, after a week or will it be like this on out?

The band takes the joy out of eating. It causes u to really think before u eat. I ended up taste testing other foods just to see if theyd go down without causing any damages

Vomiting may cause your band to slip. It is expected that some meats might give you problems, but if you are vomiting after each bite, even if you chew well and take small bites, you may be too tight. This will lead to problems, one of which would be eating sliders instead of good foods. Can you eat fish?

I have not tried fish yet but after the two incidents yesterday youre right i do fall back to sliders.

Which, I imagine, cant be good!

If you are getting food down even if they are sliders you are not too tight. Some times you just have to wait it out because there is swelling after a fill. When I get a fill it takes me sometimes three weeks to be able to eat food. I say only go get an unfill if you literally can not keep anything down. If not then wait a little bit.

I have not tried fish yet but after the two incidents yesterday youre right i do fall back to sliders.

Which, I imagine, cant be good!

Made this tonight Cheryl, wife requested that I make it again. Would have made last night, but I started out with dry Beans and it took a little longer than expected. Need to make some adjustments though, a bit bland for my taste.

Made this tonight Cheryl, wife requested that I make it again. Would have made last night, but I started out with dry Beans and it took a little longer than expected. Need to make some adjustments though, a bit bland for my taste.

I like mine full of spices too Terry but some don't that is why I posted it like this. I add way more things to mine. Even some hot sausage sometimes. I think everyone has to season to taste. I like mine with a lot of spices in it.