Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 2nd day of surgery

Hi pals,

So I had my surgery yesterday. I have to say that I wanted a redo that's how much it hurts. I kept gagging because of all the gas and there is nothing they can give you to make it stop besides you have to walk. And who wants to walk just few hours after surgery? Not me for sure. So even though you feel like you need to throw up, nothing will come out but but gas. I was regretting and should of put more thoughts into it. They were giving me medications but still felt discomfort. Finally in the evening I took few walks including 3 am because of the gas pain. You have no choice believe me. Omg I am literally peeing every hour because of all the Fluid they are giving me. I am still epo until my test later. Hopefully I won't have a problem. Oh I had throat discomfort and it was so scratchy. I told my nurse and she ordered me this spray which they approved and she sprayed it on my throat. At first the taste was horrible I felt like I wanted to throw up but OMG it helped sooo freaking much. It numbs the throat. Right now it's 6:30am and honestly I feel good. No pain besides maybe my back hurts a little and I can feel my scars when getting up to use the bathroom which is normal. I thank god for not having any shoulder pain how some explained. Maybe it might start later but as of right now I am good. The nurse said that's because of gas and as much as you walk.. It will help a lot. So do I have regrets now? Not so much. I feel normal and forgot I had surgery lol. So don't be discouraged everyone is different

Donoboss I am so happy for you congrats, I'm glad your feeling better and walking you will be going into the new year a healthier you. Keep us posted .

1st and second days i had terrible regrets. Vomiting, pain, more vomiting! Couldn't believe I had done this to myself. But every day gets better and better and now, 10 weeks out I am loving my sleeve. I just needed more patience (and faith!)

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Yes, those two days i. The hospital were really rough for me. Everyone keeps saying to walk, but it's like 'i just got cut open, i'm groggy from all the meds you keep pumping me with, with would i want to walk?"

The peeing thing was annoying too because i had a lot of trouble getting out of bed (besides being sore, i had an i.v. and some other machine hooked up to me, plus these things massaging my legs to prevent blood clots). So i was waking my husband up every hour or so to unhook me, then he'd walk me to the bathroom. I don't know what i would have done without him.

For me the heartburn was way worse than the gas. , i kept complaining and telling the nurse that i had a pain/pressure rising in my chest and it hurt each time i swallowed and she just kept pumping me with morphine. So the pain intensified and i felt groggy from all the morphine, but still in pain whenever i was conscious.

What i needed was a prilosec or some kind of antacid. That was a pretty miserable feeling.

It wasnt unbearable, but i am glad to be home recovering. I was at a really nice, upscale hospital but nothing beats your own bed!

Yes I have those legs massage thingies too and a heart monitor because of my heart surgery I had and of course the iv hooked so yes it's annoying. I miss my bed. I hope I will never experience the first day ever again. It's a horrible feeling. The doctor just came to see me and said I will have the swallow test soon yay. I am getting thirsty now

I had to do my barium swallow test about 2 hours after surgery and dopped up on morphine and phenergan..needless to say I was misserable... felt sick the whole time, couldn't stay awake and the barium was terrible, but after working out some of the gas....took about 3 days I felt so much better. I am 12days post op now nad would feel like myself if it wasnt for a very tender incision from moving around so much.

It does get better....

congrats!

It's going to get better, TRUST ME! As you'll hear from a lot of people here, the first two days are hell and you definitely feel a lot of regret. But it gets better -and it gets better fast! Take care :)