Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've started reading a bandster's blog elsewhere on the internet. She was banded a few years ago and has had great success. I noticed while reading some old posts that she really seemed to test the limits of the band. She didn't do a lot of actual vomiting but definitely PB'ed A LOT.

My question is: Is PBing as bad for the band as vomiting? And for those that have been banded a while, how often do you PB?

For the past month I have PBd daily. I can't tell you it is most certainly bad for the band and your pouch. Nit sure how bad in comparison to vomiting, however my PBing was quite violent and frequent at times. To the point where most of the time my stomach was completely swollen shut. Couldn't even get liquid down 90% of the time. I let it go on way too long and was extremely miserable. Finally got an unfill today went from 5 cc to 2. I was extremely reluctant to remove that much liquid but he NP advised me it was pretty much my only chance to give the pouch enough room to heal. I got immediate relief and have enjoyed drinking liquids with no problem today. Something i couldn't have dreamed of for the past month. I will go in for an upper GI to make sure everything is ok next week. Praying he band didn't slip!

I've been banded a year and try my hardest to not PB. The times it has happened, I'm usually talking and take a big bite and then swallow before fully chewing. But IMHO I think it's bad. And that it is not the purpose of the Lapband to physically restrict you from eating. Hopefully some vets will chime in here with more info.

I've been banded a year and try my hardest to not PB. The times it has happened, I'm usually talking and take a big bite and then swallow before fully chewing. But IMHO I think it's bad. And that it is not the purpose of the Lapband to physically restrict you from eating. Hopefully some vets will chime in here with more info.

Me too. Distraction can be our worst enemy. The TV, talking and eating, hurrying to go to work and trying to cram down an omelet, waiting too long to eat and being very hungry can cause us to fail to chew and swallow too soon.

I PB about 3 times a week. My band seems to be very fickle and definitely now during the Holidays she's misbehaving. I'd say PB'ing isn't as bad as a full hurling session but it's also not good. PB'ing means your stoma is clogged and food is backing up. This can cause the pouch or your esophagus to dilate. jmo

Anything that comes back up if its full fledged heaving your guts up or just PBing there is a chance that it could go into your lungs. Also I would think anything that comes up with PBing has been in your esophagus too long which can cause dilation. I know its hard to slow down but putting your fork down in between bites helps to ensure your food is going down.

my doctor just told me that 3times a month is considered a normal. but the idea is not to pb at all. before this last fill all the doctor and i talked about was what to eat , how much to eat etc. now we are talking on how to eat. like using a saucer as a measuring device. using a baby spoon or small pickle fork, that the first bite of food should be chewed so well and that you wait a min. or 2 after that first bite. she says it gets the whole digestive process working.

Remember people pbing means productive burping or belching , so I have done it like after I eat also that is one of my signals to say don't take that list bite or it will not be good , and sliming and being stuck is a two different things also , and when that happens it hurts sometimes and it is really gross , if you ever slime then you will know what I mean just try not to and for beng stuck , well for me it felt like if I had over ate and that it all wanted to come back up or just not being able to eat my next bite cause I either felt like I had a sore throat or my left shoulder would start hurting , it took me a long while but I did get it eventually as I listened to my triggers and my body and band , cause that all helped me to know when to say no more.

Remember people pbing means productive burping or belching , so I have done it like after I eat also that is one of my signals to say don't take that list bite or it will not be good , and sliming and being stuck is a two different things also , and when that happens it hurts sometimes and it is really gross , if you ever slime then you will know what I mean just try not to and for beng stuck , well for me it felt like if I had over ate and that it all wanted to come back up or just not being able to eat my next bite cause I either felt like I had a sore throat or my left shoulder would start hurting , it took me a long while but I did get it eventually as I listened to my triggers and my body and band , cause that all helped me to know when to say no more.

And due to the band, you are more likely to pb than to truly vomit. Vomiting can and will cause slippage, I am not sure that pb'ing will. But any questions like this should be addressed to your surgeon's office. Happy New year. Karen..aka.kll724