Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded...What to eat and how much?

I was banded on Friday and wasn't released until this afternoon because of some complications. I'm allowed clear and full liquids. How do you know that you have had enough to eat on the liquid diets? I just had a scoop of chicken stock out of a can of Campbell's chicken noodle Soup (i can't stand plain chicken broth) and was able to eat all of it. Does the no drinking rule only apply when you are on soft/solid foods? I also have 5 incisions is that normal. I thought they only made about 3 cuts. I'm still not sure of where my port is located. I do have one incision that's larger than the others. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

the larger incision is the one in which your port is at. and yes 5 incisions is normal. i have 5 little ones and a big one. when you are on Clear Liquids , full liquids just eat what makes you comfortable i made my own chicken broth. chicken, onions, carrots and celery. salt and pepper, or any spice you like. drain the liquid through a strainer and you will have a delicious broth. use any of the meats. there isn't any limit. you just might not like eating so much right now. the drinking rule only applies when you are on solids. drink as much as you want. don't forget that crystal lite, vit. Water, Jello are all liquids.

I also had 5 incisions...my largest is to the left of my belly button...up about 3" and over about 3" (middle of stomach on left side)...

As for liquids phase I was drinking slowly and until I felt full...it is hard figuring all that out in the beginning. I am about 3 1/2 months out and I'm STILL trying to figure it all out...LOL...it is a big learning curve and it does not happen overnight....any questions you should call your doctors office first and foremost...that is what they are there for.

Good luck and a happy and healthier 2014 to you! :)

Thanks! My large incision is above my belly button and off to the left so I guess that's where my port is, I guess I thought I would be able to feel it but I can't. All I have been eating since yesterday is chicken stock, Jello, popsicles and flavored Water (CL drops). Goin to get some cream Soups tomorrow and mix them up and the blender and goin to try out the Protein shakes.

I'm also attempting to have the swelling go down by switching between heating pad and ice packs. Anything other than hot and cold help with the swelling?

Thanks for advice.

Just make sure you are following your doctor's protocol for what to eat and when. If you are not sure about said protocol, call the office and get specific instructions. You should not be guessing at this..not now, nor months from now either.

Eventually, you'll know what and how to eat but right now, you should have a detailed list so you can follow the doctor's directives to the letter.

Good luck and congrats on being a bandster.

If your doctor gave you the papers then read them carefully and you will find out what you are suppose to do post op diet , also if your not sure ask your doctor and make sure you take small sips , it is hard at first and yes you will feel like your not getting enough to drink or eat , but remember , why you did this , as for my self I took a medicine cup fro y Nyquil bottle and used that to drink out of every 15 min. like my doctor told me , it really didn't matter unless I was awake cause I took the meds the first few days just so I could be comfortable so when I was awake , I used thenn nyquil cup to drink my Water, and I kept a big jug of water by my bed so I could reach it and pour it in my little cup.

You doctor should have provided you with a list of what you can eat at what stages. If he did not then you need to call his office and get one. No one should be guessing what to eat after surgery. Our plans were made for us so it may not be what your doctor wants you to do. Do not go to full liquids until he said its okay. Most people are on Clear Liquids for at least two weeks that may not be the case for you but you really need to call your surgeon and ask what your diet should be.

Normally, it is not how much clear liquids you can drink. Just sip them, don't guzzle anything, either now or ever with the band! If you are constantly sipping, it is not a big deal. You might never reach the enough to eat on full liquids. Just sip what you can. Once you move from clear to full, then you can start worrying if you have had too much! Best wishes for the new you in the New Year. Karen..aka..kll724