Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slipped band picture

Incisions and recovery are pretty much the same.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Dr. C. You mentioned that this patient opted to not have a repair. Out of curiousity, how many incisions do you make when repairing the band and is the recovery easier than the initial banding?

If anyone is interested in seeing it:

http://thebanddoctor.com/messageboard_BB/viewtopic.php?p=184#184

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Lower photo looks like the Elephant Man...really.

thanks for sharing. I guess it slips and then starts backing up like bad plumbing.

Not from Constipation.< /p>

The pictures are grafic. But here is another question. Does strong constipation cause the band to slip? I experienced it twice now and it scares me that it could happen.

Thanks Dr. C for the pictures and the answers you always freely give!

I think a pic of a slipped band should be posted on everyones fridge next to a list of the RULES!!!! ;)

Although other family members might not appreciate it!

Dr. C, could you describe - or do you have any way of visually communicating - where the band would normally be placed? In other words, where would it be (in the picture) if it were not slipped? If you can describe it, I can photoshop it for you.

I had forgotten how ugly we are on the (literal) inside. ;)

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

It is amazing to actually see how the stomach slips above the band. They explain it to you but a picture is worth a 1000 words.

I have a history of lots of fills and unfills. I am waaay loose right now. We are trying to creep up on my sweet spot. I hope we get there but I have listened to you preach.......too tight is not good and now we can see where it gets you.

A slip would be devastating to any bandster. We self pay are especially freaked about slips.

Thanks for the pics.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

Question...

During surgery isn't the stomach sewn up and around the band, kinda sorta? If someone has a slip aren't the sutures torn and any scar tissue ripped?

Isn't it the scar tissue that holds the band in place?

If the above is true, when any patient has a slip and they are told to go on liquids and many times the band will go back into place, what holds it there at that point?

Sometimes the sutures are torn, sometimes the stomach slips up in between them.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

Question...

During surgery isn't the stomach sewn up and around the band, kinda sorta? If someone has a slip aren't the sutures torn and any scar tissue ripped?

Isn't it the scar tissue that holds the band in place?

If the above is true, when any patient has a slip and they are told to go on liquids and many times the band will go back into place, what holds it there at that point?

Can fills and unfills cause band slippage? I'm concerned that I may have slippage and can't get to my surgeon for a few days yet. My symptoms are not as severe as most I've read, though. I'd be interested in hearing more about symptoms, corrections and recovery times.

The history (if you're interested):

I was filled to 2cc's for 4 months with only a little restriction and went to a local NP for a fill. He's assistant to a local bariatric surgeon and sounded like he knew what he was doing. He gave me a 1cc fill. It was WAY too tight, so we unfilled the next day to 2.5cc. I could eat that evening, but the next AM I could hardly get Water down. I thought maybe it was swelling and waited a few days. Dehydration sent me back, and the NP completely unfilled me and prescribed Prednesone for the swelling. A week later we put back 2.1cc's. Again, I could eat thick liquids that day and drink anything. The next AM, same story. Again, waited a couple of days for swelling to go down, but no go. Back again for an unfill down to 1.75cc's. Kept to liquids for almost 3 days, then tried thick liquids (cream Soup, yogurt) and vomiting occurred (though not retching). Now, in the morning I have trouble getting even liquids down sometimes. Other times I can eat yogurt. At times (though rarely, and usually in the evening) I can eat softer foods and even crackers, but most of the time I can't eat anything.... That's where I'm at. I can't get to my surgeon until next week.

Fills and unfills directly won't cause a slip, but if you had a fill and are too tight and puking your guts out and you don't get an unfill, that could.

Dr. C Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

Hi Dr. Curry...

As of last week I contacted my insurance and they will pay for lapband if you meet their 4 requirements. I qualify for all but one....the one is a comorbidity. I dont have high blood pressure or diabetes. I have a bmi over 45 which is what they wanted. I am 310lbs and I would have to show documentation over my attempts at weightloss.

I was just wondering if it is worth even tryin for insurance to pay since I dont have comorbidity. SHould I just stop right now and not persue it since I dont meet all 4 requirements? I have PCOS and asked if that was considered one...and they had me call someone else and then that person said to call my insurance back. So I dont know. lol

I basically want to know if I should proceed on. Also you were the one of my two choices to come to if this all works out!

I have had the band for two years.. I just had an endoscopy, and my band is fine..

I want to note.. IF MY band is fine.. ONE must PUKE or ABUSE their band quite ALOT to slip and be found responsible for it..