Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills and flying

I'm trying to decide between getting a my next scheduled fill on the 30th or if I should postpone it until after my travels in Jan. I have 2 trips to make in Jan a one day trip to CA which will be an hour flight which I think I'll manage just fine as i will be back home at the end of the day. however i have a second trip date yet to be determined but will be early Jan where I will have to fly to Boston from Phoenix.. it's a 5hr flight at min. right now I'm not in the green zone but feel that i am close. i am hoping my next fill will put me right where i want to be. i am already eating much less but still more than what i should be and really do not want to postpone my fills as my weight loss has slowed to almost nothing.. i'm not gaining but i have lost perhaps 1.5lbs since my last fill a month ago. total loss to that point was great not sure what has changed to result in such a drop in loss.

my question is and i know each and every one of us is different so i can't base what my experience would be as it will be entirely personal I had just wondered what others have experience during flights?

I fly alot, and I fly international long haul flights a lot. I have never ever had an issue with my band due to a short or long flight. My band does not tighten due to air travel.

What I do do, however, is never rely on airline or airport food to be band-friendly. In fact, it's pretty rare to find band-friendly airport/airline food since I don't eat bread--and there's a lot of sandwich shops in airports. I always pack my own band-friendly food and I always pack extra (Protein bars, even though I hate them). Flights are often delayed and I've had to dip into my stock more than once.

Since they only give you peanuts now, and not a meal, I don't see what the concern would be...if it even effects the band...

As long as I can drink my Gin & tonics I'm happy when I fly....

I have flown several times on business since being banded and I could never tell any difference....but you may have some issues with eating right away from the fill itself...

Edited by B-52

i haven't flown but if i was to, i would just be careful with that first mouthful making sure it goes down okay. make sure you drink plenty too! take the Protein bars and perhaps a packet of Protein . happy flying

I have flown 10+ hour flights and never had a problem My concern would be how soon aftefr the fill would you be flying. I would suggest that there be enough time to ensure you are not over filled before you leave home. That seems just common sense. If you are safely back on solid food before the trips, I would not expefct any problems.

Since they only give you peanuts now, and not a meal, I don't see what the concern would be...if it even effects the band...

As long as I can drink my Gin & tonics I'm happy when I fly....

I have flown several times on business since being banded and I could never tell any difference....but you may have some issues with eating right away from the fill itself...

you so have a point there.. not getting food on a flight will finally be a none issue for me. I went ahead and had my fill today. I plan on just taking things easy not trying to eat while in the air. bring my Protein shakes so that I can have something filling after I land and will just basically take things easy..