Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can eat less than before

Am almost a month out (Dec 2nd). Really carefully following all post op diet instructions. Hard to get all the Water and Protein in (my doc says 40-60g and at least 50oz right now) but in the last two weeks I have been averaging 50g and all the Water (haven't been counting the liquid from Protein shakes so that's a bonus and gets me up to 64oz most days).

My dilemma is this. I had worked my way up to being able to get in about 1/2 c (over 30 mins) of Greek yougert/cottage cheese/puréed Soup or a couple of oz of puréed chicken or tuna. I have been able to drink 8oz lactose free milk + Protein powder in about 1-1.5 hours. Now all of a sudden I can only "stomach" about half that amount before I feel stuffed. Like less than 1/4c or 1 tablespoon of the purées. So the last two days I haven't been able to get my Protein in and my calories have dropped by half.

If I had always been that way I wouldn't be worried. Is it normal to have this kind of "setback?" Two days ago I could only get in 24g of protein and less than 300 cal. Yesterday was a bit better, but didn't meet my goals. Today hasn't started well...less than 1/4 c cottage cheese and about 1/4 of a c of my Protein shake. Of course everyone is gone for the holidays.

Anyone else have this happen? Thoughts?

Hmmm...i think it's worth a call to the doctor. Healing should be progressive, and regressing and being able to do less than before could warrant a look-see. Especially as early out as you are, better be safe than sorry, right?

Is this in conjunction with a transition to more solid foods? If so, some of the vets have said it's normal to have increased restriction while you adjust.

However, given my own experience, I was able to increase my intake with little to no problem, so I would call the doctor.

I am 10 weeks post op and I have days where I can get an easy 800 calories in but then the next day I can only really do 350 calories. I tend to have 1 or 2 days per week where I get really low calories in like that. Those are the days I stick to liquid shakes of some sort.

That said...I think maybe your at the point where i was at at your weeks post op..the numbness of my surgery and the sleeve had worn off and I could at that point really feel the fullness. I had to relearn a little bit at that point.

Like the others have said..it's worth a call in the ask about it. Never hurts. They'd rather you called than not.