Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loosing weight but not feeling like it !

Hi everyone i have a question. When you are loosing weight and you feel like your clothes are looser , and you see it in your face . You feel like your hanging down stomach is smaller ,You start feeling your ribs you look down at your legs and they look smaller. All the little things that you notice whereas other people might not notice. Guess i am rambling but You feel like you are loosing some without even getting on the scales. Do yall know what I am talking about? WELL since I have started loosing I have felt like it, except for this week. I was sure i had gained this week and was really surprised when the scales showed a half pound drop. But I am uneasy about how I feel. I am wondering if anyone else has felt this way. I dont feel like I am loosing but gaining even the scales say differently. I read on another post that a weight gain or loss could take up to 10 days to show up on the scales. This maybe one of the silliest and vague posts yet But anyway thanks...Janie

I can relate to how you are feeling Janie..

Right now I'm feeling real fat and bloated even though the scales show NO weight gain, but and my clothes are still fitting really loose I know it is from my monthly cycle getting ready to start any day now..I always feel thisway right before my cycle..its in my head I think!

Hey Michelle, Thats how I Feel, like I am bloated. I havent had periods for 6 or 7 years now so i know its not that. Allready been thru the change. But its YUCCKY. Thanks for answering me...Janie

I have 'fat' days and 'skinny' days too. I had a hysterectomy in '96, so it's not that with me, either. I do believe, though, that we retain Water etc and it makes us feel puffy. but, yea, I definitely have those days. :D

I also think this may be part of our process of adjusting to the weight loss. Some days, I feel like I have gained back 20 of what I have lost. they say it takes awhile for our head to catch up with the loss. :cry

I have these days too. Sometimes I have to put on my "fat" clothes and I marvel that these are MANY sizes smaller than what used to be my "fat" clothes. It is all in our heads, indeed.

By the same token, once over the summer I had a day in which I was 6 lbs heavier than the day before, and I didn't feel any different. It took two days for that to come back off, and on the third day I was lower than I had been before the spike. It was hard to believe I could be retaining 6 POUNDS of Water, but that must have been what it was. And I didn't feel a thing.

This is why it doesn't pay to worry about what the scale says. What's happening in the macro world (the mirror, your clothes, your stamina) is much more important than the fluctuations on the scale.< /p>

This morning I took my older daughter to school and had to park two blocks away. When I walked to the school it dawned on me that last year this same walk winded me. (It's uphill, mostly.) This year it felt like absolutely nothing. :D

OK I can so relate to the "fat" and "skinny" days. I just got back last night from my vacation. We went out to eat. I felt so "fat" and bloated. I even looked down at my ankles and noticed they were swollen. I get "bloated" and swollen from airplane rides myself. It takes me a couple of days to adjust.

While on vacation I had a couple of those "fat" days and a lot of those "skinny" days. LOL!!

It truly is a mind game sometimes. I had a hysterectomy in 87 when I was 27 so I haven't had a period for almost 20 years. WHOO HOO!! So my "fat" days aren't related to that. Thank god.

I wish I could relate. I do notice those small changes like you mentioned but I never FEEL lighter or feel like I have lost. Literally I have gone to weigh in and swore I gained only to find I lost several lbs. I never go in thinking I have lost. If I did feel that optimistic I might not dread getting on the darned thing every week and have a ritual list a mile long before getting on the scale. LOL, Your doing great! Teresa

It sounds like we all have those feelings! Some days I feel like a tub.

Lately, though, I actually have to remind myself that I am still too heavy. I feel so much lighter and start to worry that I will let loose and start eating, forgetting my committment to weight loss. So I remind myself that I still weigh about 200 lbs., which means I have a long way to go. I think it's a reality check, doesn't really make me feel bad.

I think some of us go through emotional cycles even without the monthly ones.

Boy, this weight thing is as much mental as it is physical! Even though I've lost weight, I still see and feel myself as extremely fat. I guess I've been stuck in that mode for so long that it's hard to let loose. I know that my health is so much better and I have energy that I haven't had for years. I guess I need to look more at how far I've come and not so much at how far I have to go. Well, one day at a time!:D

Thanks for all the support. I guess it is really a mind thing. The house i just finished painting in had one room that the wall was all mirrors , and I really kind of got depressed when I would go in there. I am not doing this for how I will look, I keep telling myself. I know its a journey and I want to feel better and I really do feel better. I just really like it when I feel like I am loosing when I am loosing.. Thanks Everybody...Janie