Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to lose TOO much weight?

I was sleeved on Dec. 19th. It's now the 27th. I've lost a total of 18lbs in 8 days. I expected to lose lots of weight, but this seems almost dangerous. While it feels awesome to see my cloths much looser after only 1 week, i'm feeling a little bit weak and just weird. I'm only able to get about 3oz of Protein shake or 2.5oz of cream Soup with a 1/2 scoop of Protein powder at a time. I'm also getting about 24oz of Water.

I'm going to start drinking Isopure instead of Water to increase my calorie intake. If i don't feel better by tomorrow, i'm making an emergency call to the surgeon. I wanted to get some opinions here before I call the doc sounding like a lunatic.

You may feel weak and weird as you aren't getting in enough fluids. The Protein is less important at this stage, you must get more liquids in or you will dehydrate, if you aren't already. Check the colour of your urine - it should be almost clear or slightly yellow. If its darker, then you may be dehydrated.

Make a timetable of when to drink liquids and when to take in Protein. It might sound ridiculous and you may feel like all you are doing is drinking but, trust me, it works and will be worth it. Your stomach is still swollen so it is harder to drink but you need to do it, sipping and over the course of the day.

Hope that helps - but if in doubt, talk to your doc sooner than later....

I was sleeved on 17th.lost 12 pounds and have stayed at that weight about 5 days now..I drink fluids and Protein Shakes to keep energy up..keep getting fluids and Protein sources so u wont feel weak..( :

Much of that 18 lbs is probably Water weight. You can't lose 18 lbs of fat in 8 days typically, so I wouldn't worry about the speed of weight loss.

What I would worry about is hydration. As others said, this early on, the most important thing is staying hydrated. Your weakness and exhaustion are likely because 1) you just had major surgery and 2) you are dehydrated. That much weight loss with less than 24 oz of Water a day are honestly speaking, a recipe for a trip to the ER to get an IV to get re-hydrated.

Forget about calories, just find something you enjoy drinking and drink it like it was medicine. Take in an ounce or two, put in down for 5 mins, drink another ounce or two and KEEP doing that until you get at least 48-64 oz in. For me, I know warm drinks were easier on my sleeve than cold ones. For my husband, the opposite was true. Find what works for you. Water is tough for many of us so try G2 or propel or even real gatorade. For warm drinks, try powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth or just warm herb tea or whatever floats your boat.

If your urine gets very dark, you're peeing less than twice-three times a day, call the doc and go in for an IV. You're doing fine, don't worry. Just focus on drinking.

It sounds like you're not getting enough fluids. I wouldn't be as concerned about the number of pounds as I would about the risk of dehydration. When I was on my preop diet, I lost 17 lbs in a week (which shocked the hell out of me!), so yes it's possible. But 24 oz of Water a day is not enough. Try hot tea or gatorade or something like that. As others have already mentioned, if your urine is dark get yourself to the ER. Take care!

I lost 25lbs at my 2 week post op

Appt. they said that's on the higher side though.

I was sleeved on 17th.lost 12 pounds and have stayed at that weight about 5 days now..I drink fluids and Protein shakes to keep energy up..keep getting fluids and Protein sources so u wont feel weak..( :

Same thing with me. Lost lost lost, then stuck. Finally started losing again.

Today is one week for me. Down 16 lbs..I get plenty of fluids ...maybe not quite as much protien as I should but somewhere in the neighborhood..

I actually feel pretty good! I've found that Decaf cold brew tea with artificial sweetner really keeps me enjoying the liquid constantly..first thing in the am I also take my bariatric Vitamin and acid reducer pill...I started at 284.. today 268 5'6" idk how that relates to you or where I fall in the average but I've heard that the more overweight the more initially drops off..hope you feel better..;-)

Well, i'm certainly at ease now. Thanks for the responses. My wife ran out yesterday to get Isopure. I had a bottle in lieu of regular Water and I actually feel much less weak this morning.

Well, i'm certainly at ease now. Thanks for the responses. My wife ran out yesterday to get Isopure. I had a bottle in lieu of regular Water and I actually feel much less weak this morning.

--

I'm 16 days post op and still feel weak and struggling with Protein and Water intake

I made a trip to ER on day 11 cause I felt like I would pass out -- got very very very lightheaded

I spent most of the evening in ER that day and felt great when I left but still struggle with liquids due to constant hernia repair pain & pressure in my chest area

I'm supposed to return to work on jan 6 but if I feel as weak as I do now then there is no way; even tho I have an office job it requires quite a bit of walking especially at the start of each semester

Hope you stay feeling better -- I really despise the isopure zero clear drinks but trying to force them down

I too feel like weightloss is too fast considering I didn't start off awfully high

Sw was around 236-7 and currently around 217 at 16 days post op

My personal goal is to maintain in the low to mid 160s and I fear I'll surpass that in no time if I can't get in enough nutrients with this hernia issue

I don't want to look sickly -- I have a large frame at 5'7"

I too feel like weightloss is too fast considering I didn't start off awfully high

Sw was around 236-7 and currently around 217 at 16 days post op

My personal goal is to maintain in the low to mid 160s and I fear I'll surpass that in no time if I can't get in enough nutrients with this hernia issue

I don't want to look sickly -- I have a large frame at 5'7"

I started at 230 HW and 222 day of surgery. Counting pre-op, I lost 20 lbs the first month and was so excited! well it slowed down and after that, I've lost 6-8 lbs a month so it won't continue at this pace. I only wish it did!

Hi everyone. I'm Tonya today makes day 11 post op for me. It has been extremely hard. The day I started my pre op diet (12/10)I was 213. Yesterday I was 191 Im struggling with keeping down Water . so I had my daughter go buy the Gatorade G2. I also drunk soy milk which is helping. Now my urine is starting to lighten up. I have energy just kind of bored.i have never been do ready to return to work.

Very smart move to call your physician tomorrow -- he/she is your best resource, and can tell you what is okay for you and how best to improve your diet in order to feel better, and for you to feel comfortable and confident in your new life.