Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Its almost that time

Hi my name is Lisa I am a 33 year old mother of 5 last 2 babies were born May1st yes twins, I love all my babies but I am at my highest weight ever 273lbs, I've always struggled with my weight and I'm just so excited to be having this done, my mother had her lapband put in over 8years ago and was over 400lbs she is now under 200. I Have my final appointment on January 9, 2014 I am so excited, then I wait for all paper work to be sent to insurance company praying that goes quick and surgery will be last week of January or first week of February. I cannot wait to see what I look like in July anyone want to share how much weight they lost in first 5months?

i am 6mos out. i have lost 44 lbs. i think i lost 40 lbs at the end of 5 mos. but you will learn everyone has their own timetable. it isn't healthy to compare yourself to someone. either you will be doing back flips because you are so happy or you will be sad and frustrated because you didn't lose much. this is a very individualized journey. i wish you happiness. good luck on your journey.

Hi Lisa! Congrats to you for taking control of your health! Remember, our journey's (and bodies) are all different, so it's really difficult to compare loses. I can tell you that if you put your focus on your new, healthy lifestyle, and follow the band rules from your surgeon, you'll do great! The weight will come off, and your body will change at the pace it's supposed to for YOU!

Wishing you all the best!

You can get many different answers to this question but if you want to compare, and comparisons aren't really an optimal way to judge your own journey, you need to find someone who is the same gender, same height, same weight, same lifestyle and same support system.

Low BMI patients like myself lose much less the first few months. For me, it was only about 20 lbs. If you are a high BMI patient your early weight loss will most likely be more. Much of the weigh we lose the first 2 months is excess fluids our fat cells are retaining. This can be as much as 40 lbs for someone around 300 lbs.

Any kind of weight loss is good though, but fat loss is what we should strive for. And we really don't tackle that monster until we get the band adjustments that enable the band to work it's magic.

tmf

Thank you everyone I was just curious as to what could happen, 16 more days till final appointment. Ready to go...

Hi Lisa, so excited for you! You will hear so many people saying they wish they had done this sooner in life. I am one of them but these days I'm not looking back -- like you I'm looking forward to this summer and all I will accomplish in the next six months. I was banded in November and am now in the process of getting fills to reach proper adjustment. I found this site so helpful -- read everything I could to prepare myself. I'm also really happy I started to exercise a bit more prior to surgery as that gave me something to step right into after getting banded. And I mean right after -- like that night. I walked and walked and walked -- it helped with any residual gas pain and also kicked my body into healing mode. The weight loss happens more for some than others during the first weeks. Because the band is adjustable that's the real deal -- after you've healed up to get to that place where your appetite is truly dimmed and you can walk away from temptation or just have one little taste of something without wanting more. Best wishes -- keep us posted on your surgery date, etc. And have fun with those twins!