Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass and Nervous and new to this site...

Hi,

Apologies I have been lurking around this forum for a while before registering, and am now up to posting on here. I have been overweight for pretty much all of my life, I lose weight then gain it and some again and it's not always through lack of trying, some of it is too do with comfort eating due to lack of self esteem and self worth. We all have our own story and not about to post it all on here but maybe one day who knows.

I have looked into the gastric bypass and decided this is the best option for me, friends are saying I should just go to the gym more but these are all friends who are a tiny well a size 10/12 and they just don't get it. I have decided to have the surgery in Tijuana Mexico with Dr Ortiz, who appears to have lots of good reviews, but as with everything there is a risk. I am 173cm tall and weigh 294 ilbs, I want to be able to enjoy my son and grow old without too many health issues that are down to my weight. Does anyone have experience on here with Dr Ortiz? I am also trying to decide on how much time I need to take off work, I am thinking two weeks, I work in a office so nothing too strenuous, can anyone offer a view? I am planning to go on my own to Tijuana, has anyone else done this alone?

I am so nervous it's unbelievable, but have been uplifted by the reviews on this website, thank you all for sharing your stories.

Caroline

I don't know anything about Mexico - I know some people have had their surgery done there.

I took two weeks off but one would probably have been fine, as far as how I was feeling physically. I work in a bank which is considered light duty. When I went back to work I felt fine and had no trouble working a full day. Just a tip for you... don't introduce any new foods while at work. About two weeks after I went back I decided to try tuna. I got so sick and spent almost two hours in the ladies room trying to either puke or walk it off. It was horrible. Stick with foods you know you can tolerate well and save experimenting for home. :-)

Hello and welcome, congrats on making the steps to better your life!

I had my surgery here so I cant say much about Mexico other than I have been on here over a year and have known a lot of people who went thru them, I have only heard good but you can search the threads for people who went, also you may end up finding a buddy on here going same time as you so you wont be alone, ive seen that happen too!

As far a work, I went back after 17 days, kinda wish I had another week or two but my job is a little different, I see a lot of people go back to office jobs after 2 weeks.

good luck to you!