Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At 3.5 with 4 cc band and not tight enough

Hi All,

Happy Holidays.

I won't go into all the details, but after a long hiatus I went back to the weight loss clinic and had .5 added to my band. I thought I would feel more restriction. This is getting me worried. I've been away from the board for a long time, so I'm not sure as to how far they will fill? Can I expect to get filled up to 4 cc in my 4 cc band, and then what? Where do I go from there if my weight loss continues to stall? I have gained 30 lbs. after a 3 year hiatus. I'm getting back on track, but now I'm worried.

Just want to add that my NP ordered an upper GI for this Thurs. to make sure all is well with my band.

I had the older 4cc band for over 7 years and by design they are a bit tighter and higher pressure than the larger Allergan Band. However, it does NOT matter how much saline is in your band it is how you feel, some people have gone up and over the max of 4cc to get to their sweet spot, but most people do not need the max fill volume.

You did not mention how long you've had a lap band, but I am assuming you've been banded for a few years, if this is the case, if you are not feeling any restriction after getting a large adjustment, it could be pouch dilation, a leak somewhere, or erosion.

If your surgeon determines that your band is OK, then sure many have been filled to the max level at 4cc and a little over, the lap band can safely be filled to the max fill capacity and over in any of the band types,

Good luck

Good thing NaNa replied as I'm not familiar with 4 CC bands. But I would imagine it's like she said, more restriction with less saline in such a small band.

BTW-CCs in your band do not equate to weight loss unless your band is allowing you to feel satiety sooner and longer? I'm sure you already know this but maybe you've forgot how this works? The theory is that we have to eat slower and chew more so that we stimulate the valgus nerve which gives us the feeling of not being hungry any longer. That's when we need to stop.

Good luck with the upper GI.

tmf

I think sometimes you don't remember how it feels to be satisfied when you have been banded for a long time. You may just not be eating properly to feel satiety. Have you tried to do the 5 day pouch test as I would recommend anyone to do that has been banded for a while. It will allow you to see if your band is properly adjusted. If you Google the 5 day pouch test you will find it. In answer to your question to what happens when your band is totally filled well there is really nothing else to do unless you choose to have a larger band placed. That is why I recommend to newly banded people to not be in such a hurry to get filled up because you have the rest of your life to be banded and once your band is totally filled to capacity there is nothing else you can do and its basically on your own after that. You might want to talk to your doctor about your options. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Happy Holidays and ty for your great responses. NaNa, I have been banded for 6 years, approaching 7. I did think about trying the 5 day pouch test.

I really don't expect anything to be wrong with my band, as I have been feeling fine, except not as tight as I was in the beginning.

Thanks again for the great advise. I'll keep you posted. And yes, I agree that I have forgotten the proper way to eat my meals and I'm scheduled for a followup visit with the weight loss team in a few weeks.

If all is well, I'm going to ask for another small fill and go from there.

checking in arose, wondering how you're doing lately....

<p>I had the older 4cc band for over 7 years and by design they are a bit tighter and higher pressure than the larger Allergan Band. However, it does NOT matter how much saline is in your band it is how you feel, some people have gone up and over the max of 4cc to get to their sweet spot, but most people do not need the max fill volume.</p> <p> </p> <p>You did not mention how long you've had a lap band, but I am assuming you've been banded for a few years, if this is the case, if you are not feeling any restriction after getting a large adjustment, it could be pouch dilation, a leak somewhere, or erosion.</p> <p> </p> <p>If your surgeon determines that your band is OK, then sure many have been filled to the max level at 4cc and a little over, the lap band can safely be filled to the max fill capacity and over in any of the band types, </p> <p> </p> <p>Good luck</p>

I have a 4cc band and it was put in 4 years ago. I had stopped getting fills about 2 years ago and have since gained weight. I didn't want to go and get a fill mostly because I was embarrassed that I had gained so much of my weight back. I broke down and got a fill last Wednesday and the doctor told me my band was empty and filled me to 2.5 cc. I am very tight right now and wonder if I may be too tight or since I've been empty for the past 2 years if this is just an adjustment period. If your not feeling any restriction you may want to consider going back and getting more Fluid put in. God luck.

I have a 4cc band and it was put in 4 years ago. I had stopped getting fills about 2 years ago and have since gained weight. I didn't want to go and get a fill mostly because I was embarrassed that I had gained so much of my weight back. I broke down and got a fill last Wednesday and the doctor told me my band was empty and filled me to 2.5 cc. I am very tight right now and wonder if I may be too tight or since I've been empty for the past 2 years if this is just an adjustment period. If your not feeling any restriction you may want to consider going back and getting more Fluid put in. God luck.

Watch this video. It explains when you're too tight, just right or not tight enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa3Lwt6ElIs&list=UL Part 1-There are 3 other parts that are very good too.