Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting Pre-Op Diet...

Has anyone else remarked yet on the irony of asking a morbidly obese patient to just go hungry on a liquid diet for ten days???

I'm like 10 hours into this and I'm already sick of it- literally! Yup, I've already got the "big D", but I'm figuring it's either the whey Protein shakes messing with me or it is just plain psychosomatic... :sick

Doc actually said Atkins would be okay as a pre-op diet since his main concern is shrinking the liver, but told me to avoid eating as much as possible to maximize the liver shrinkage.

So I have my "meat cheats" ready- with permission.

I suppose I'll have to be on immodium to keep these sprints in check. *sigh*

Thanks for reading my whimpers and whines...

I know after a couple of days it'll get better and I won't be hungry. Just gotta burn up that glycogen in the bloodstream (accompanyed as this process is by extreme hunger, severe headaches and a mood that could best be described as APOCALYPTIC) first and then I'll hit ketosis and the ride will smooth out. :heh:

I have a long trek to go much like you. I have my phone consult tomorrow. I'll let you know when he puts me on the deprivation march. Yes, asking an obese person to stick to that skimpy plan is like walking past a cat kennel and saying "stay!". Ah well. We do the best we can knowing that it is a short term discomfort for a long term benefit.

It is definitely ironic and a tough time during the banding process. I have a rule that I only allow myself to step on my scales once a week. However, during the liquid diet phase, I was on that baby every day. Seeing the weight literally melt off was a huge motivator for sticking to the liquid diet. That, and knowing my reward at the end of the road would be my band. Good luck to you, I know you can do this. And, yes, immodium will be your friend. The good news is there is liquid immodium. Oh, and after about day 3, I found the headache and hunger subsided significantly.

Yeah, this will be for my benefit, I know it.

I've got a terrific variety of crystal light flavors available as well as beef and chicken herb broth... Gonna strain some egg drop Soup and give the remainder to my roommate one of these days...

I'll survive.

Did anyone else get "cheating" recommendations from their doc, though?

I am sorry but I am not much help...in australia we didn't have to go on a liquid diet pre surgery....so I literally had the last supper the night...before...I ate and ate. and it was yummy! Post surgery...was a different story...I found the liquid diet sooooooo hard. infact I was on thickish Soups by the third day...and I felt sooo hungry all the time. But surprisingly, it got easier...now sometimes I have to force myself to eat.