Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shopping list for the hospital etc.

You're welcome, donaboss. I've been reading a lot of posts and most people said that after the surgery, our mouths and lips will be really dry, even though they give us ice chips. I glad this helped, also the worst complaint was pain in the shoulders from the air they pump into our stomachs, that's why gas-x strips are important. Also, if you bring a pillow, just don't have a white pillowcase on it! I'm getting really excited...hope we both do well. Betty

Keep in mind some hospitals won't allow Chapstick Bc it has glycerine in it. Be sure and bring blistex brand. No glycerine ;)

Edited by superfatty

How long is the hospital stay after the surgery (sleeve)?

They offered to discharge me the next day(and my surgery was at 230pm) but I was self pay so I opted to get the most for my money and stayed another night! Was discharged around 11 the next day and only bc I requested they help me shower bc I had a pain pump in and wanted to know how to handle it after!

They offered to discharge me the next day(and my surgery was at 230pm) but I was self pay so I opted to get the most for my money and stayed another night! Was discharged around 11 the next day and only bc I requested they help me shower bc I had a pain pump in and wanted to know how to handle it after!

I believe I will have to stay 2 days as well since I had heart surgery and they will want to monitor before they let me go.. I also heard that if you can't drink the next day, they won't discharge you. Thank god I have insurance

Thank you, Superfatty. I have Blistex so I will be bringing that with me instead of the Chapstick. I wasn't aware of the difference. I going on Thursday and I am ready...can't wait for this to happen!

Thank you, Superfatty. I have Blistex so I will be bringing that with me instead of the Chapstick. I wasn't aware of the difference. I going on Thursday and I am ready...can't wait for this to happen!

Lots of luck!!! This is a great way to kick off 2014 and get the new you:)

April

My discharge was Christmas morning and I will unpack my bag this afternoon. Two things on the take list that I am so glad I took, were the Chapstick and some nail clippers. The doc would not let me use the Gas x strips or the Vitamin C lozenges. The nurse offered Cepacol lozenges which I refused. They are quite nasty.

So, I just nibbled on ice chips and put on Chapstick every now and then. The doctor extracted as much CO2 as possible, so I did not have the chest pains that some folks have. I am glad to be home...slept in my lift recliner last night.

You could get away with nothing but a basic toiletry kit (toothpaste, toothbrush, comb/brush, deodorant), Chapstick and underwear. I was in a gown the whole time I was there and wore home what I wore to the hospital.

Curious, did any one take Nexuum for the gas during their hopsital stay?

Bella,

The hospitals will not let you bring in any of your own prescriptions or OTC products like gas-x strips. Ask your surgeon for a PPI while in the hospital.

I was released yesterday after my surgery. I was able to use Gax-X strips and throat lozenges, also no mention was made about the chapstick or Blistex. I guess it depends on your hospital and I was in a hospital of excellence because of Medicare. My surgeon has me on Tylenol with codeine liquid for the pain. The best thing for the gas pain was walking...walk, walk, walk as much as you can, it really helps!

I'm happy to be home and beginning my new journey.

Congrats. Take it easy. I haven't had surgery yet but I read all these threads. Apart from Hair loss I fear I will fail not knowing to eat or drink but I guess they have support groups for that. I hear some people gets chest pain. How was your first night home. How did u sleep? ? Congrats again.

I didnt notice anyone else mention this but bring a pillow from home. Its nice to have a fluffy pillow for the hospital stay and its priceless for the ride home. I hugged mine for the full 1 hour ride home. It helps when the driver hits bumps, potholes, fast turns. It keeps your belly from jiggling. Makes the ride alot more comfortable.

Congrats. Take it easy. I haven't had surgery yet but I read all these threads. Apart from hair loss I fear I will fail not knowing to eat or drink but I guess they have support groups for that. I hear some people gets chest pain. How was your first night home. How did u sleep?? Congrats again.

My surgery is actually on Monday. And yes the chest pain I am afraid of since I can't imagine how painful it will be. I finished my shopping today and I bought different kind of medicine just to have it handy when I am home. I can't wait

I am having the sleeve on the 7th and everyone's post have been very helpful when packing. Ty!