Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me help myself

I am seriously considering Lap Banding as that is pretty much my last alternative. Gastic Bypass is out of the question. I am a nurse and have taken care of GB pts and I refuse to go through what they have gone through. Diet and exercise work great for me but only when I have accountability and motivation from someone else. My hubby is great but he just doesn't get it and he is no motivater. I would like to know some pros and cons of LB. Tell me why you would not change a thing if you have had the banding and/or tell my why you can't/couldn't wait to have it removed, if it didn't work for you. Thanks for helping, Kyra

I recently read on one of these posts that shows the surgery, in fact this came from the surgeon, not in the same words, but something to the effect of, the band encourages us to stay with the program, and keep up the work. If unbanded, many pt's. quickly revert to their old ways.

There are so many messages and stories on this website just go down to the FORUM JUMP option at the bottom of the page and pick a topic to read. The one thing you will find is you have so much in common with these people. We all have tried endlessly to lose weight by traditional means. Most of us are morbidly obese if not severely morbidly obese. That tells you traditional methods have not been successful. I personally picked the band because it is less invasive surgically and my chief complaint to my doctor on dieting has always been " I never feel full " This is the perfect solution for me.

I am only 10 days post-op. But I can tell you why I decided to do this. I, like many others can diet for shot periods of time. I have tried everyone imaginable. Lost weight only to gain it back and then some. I needed a long-term tool to help me lose and then keep it off. I do not plan on doing this and then "cheat" the band or myself. At my age time is running out to better my health which is my main goal on top of feeling and looking better. I have a little grandson I would like to see grow up and be more active with. I have gone to the support meeting in my area and talked to many success stories. Sure, there are some that aren't, but most of those chose to ignore the rules of the band. I want to succeed and believe I will. I think it is by far the least invasive and safest weightloss surgery available. I studied, researched, ask a ton of questions, ect. for over a year before I did this. I think you will find that the good outweighs the bad if you do your homework. Of course the decision has to be yours. Good luck.

Well, I have decided to go for it. Now my decision is whether to wait through the whole process it takes to have it done in Alberta, where I live, in the states, where I would feel more comfortable having it done but paying out of pocket, or Mexico where it will save me money but I would not feel as safe as if in the states????