Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Debating with myself

I am debating with myself as to whether or not to have the banding done. I would like to hear some pros and cons from actual people who have had the banding. I am trying to weigh the good with the bad. Dieting works great for me, as does exercise, but ony when and if I have someone to be accountable to, and I don't because of my job. I would like to know if there is anyone here from Southern Alberta who has had the banding done and can suggest a good dr. Thanks.

I'm from Ontario, so I can't help you with s doc, but as for banding, it was the best thing I ever done. For me it was a answer to a prayer. It has gliches along the road, like everything else, but I wouldnt part with my band for anything!!! I'm sure you'll hear more on this thread from others. Best of Luck in your decision!!:)

Pro: I've lost a bunch of weight.

Con: I can't pig out like I used to.

From what I've seen, the only people from Alberta on here are self-payers that went out of province. The only Alberta Dr's you're going to hear of are the ones you'll have to wait years to see/get banded by.

So with that said, unless you're going to wait, or unless for some reason you'll only listen to Southern Albertans (I lived there for 5 years!) my Dr. (and CLOE's) was great, and I'm sure we'd both recommend. But everyone here, it seems is very happy with their surgeon, so you're gonna have to research and find who YOU feel the most comfortable with.

But then again... if you can exercise and diet, why not try a Dr. supervised diet if you need someone to be accountable to? You can't do that because you have no time, or what do you mean 'because of your job'? You can't just get it done and expect that it'll do all the work for you... cause you DO have to work at it.

Good luck.

I am from Calgary (raised in High River, lived in Lethbridge for 8 years) & was recently banded in Toronto by Dr.Coburn.

I am only a little over a month post op but here is a short list of pros & cons.

Pro's:

- More energy

- Feeling better

- Eczyma improved

- Fewer headaches, body aches

- sleep better

- Lost 46lbs since my pre-op diet began Jan.24

- Better mood, sleeping better

Con's

- None yet. I dont even consider the cost of the surgery or the pain from it (which was less than I thought) as a con. I would do the whole thing again in a minute.

In terms of your options in Albertan I will copy whay I wrote in another post.

All the bands that are being done in Calgary being paid for by Alberta Health Care, and we dont have the option of paying the Calgary Docs to do ours. The Calgary Clinic is limited to doing 25 bands per year, and this is the first year that they are being done. My Dr. was the one that trained the Calgary Docs, and he told me that they did 12/25 bands for 2006 when he was here to train them.

If you want to have your band done in Calgary you must meet certain criteria for BMI & co-morbitities, be refered by you family Dr., be accepted by the clinic, go through a 6 month supervised weight managment program and be prepared to wait 1.5 years to get a consult and another 2.5 before surgery.

Getting a band in Alberta is really tough right now. I personally was not willing to wait that long, so had to do a self pay in Toronto. There is no option for self pay in Alberta at this time.

I dont know your particulars, but if you need accountability, the band is the best thing in the world for that. Better than what any spouse or friend can provide.

We have all been on the losing end of the diet roller coaster here, and I for one am happy to put an end to it.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Thanks to all who responded. I think I will end up going to the states to have it done. I just don't think I can wait 5 years. I am 45 and want to start living normal again. I would like to add all of you to my friends list or you can email me @ kymcgill@yahoo.com. Especially, you Gaffer as you are so close to me. Thanks again.

Hi: There are pros and cons to "where to go for the banding". For instance, if you have serious health problems you might not be able to get travel insurance outside Canada. That can prove expensive. The other thing is to consider "fills". A lot of doctors/clinics will not fill anyone other than their patients. You will have to find a fill clinic/nurse close by. As for the decision of the band, you say you can loose weight on your own, so can all of us, but the question is "do you put it back on again". If the answer is yes, you need the band as an aid to help you stay slim. Even with the band you can put the weight back on, but, the band is your conscience. There are clinics in Alberta, and I believe the AB health insurance helps out. Not like most provinces. Will have to be checked out though. Doddie

There are clinics in Alberta, and I believe the AB health insurance helps out. Not like most provinces. Will have to be checked out though. Doddie

The clinics in AB do not allow you self pay. I tried, and they told me no. To get a band in AB right now, you have to wait for the system, 3-5 years.

AB health does help. I was able to claim back $1036, not much for the $16,000 plus I spent going to Toronto.

Some people that went to Mexico were able to get back ~$1700 due to out of country rate differences, vs out of province.

Make sure you find a fill provider BEFORE you commit to Mexico. I think there are some people who are having difficluty getting a fill provider in Alberta.

One thing to also consider it the "warranty" that comes with you band. I know that with the Canadian clinic you have some recourse should you have problems with your port, leaky band/tubing or other problems. I dont know if Mexican clinics offer that.

Andrew

I agree with Gaffer, the after care is very, very important. I thoroughly questioned Dr. C during my consult to be sure I understood what the clinic was offering me for support and for further care if something went wrong. I was completely satisfied with his answers. I also know that I have several doctors to choose from for fills in Calgary. Having post-op care in place before surgery is extremely helpful and, for me, it is piece of mind.

:welldoneclap:

I agree the Con is that I can't eat what I want to...but it passes

Pro, I KNOW I'd still be 280 had I not had this done. I no longer have to hate my inability to lose and keep it off.