Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Splenda

Ok, I may be the only one here that didnt know this, but JUST in-case Im not, I thought Id share it.

In our local paper yesterday, there was a column that stated Splenda was NOT safe to use - so "I investigated". This is what I found....

12 Questions You Need to Have Answered Before You Eat Splenda

From Dr. Janet Starr Hull's Health Newsletter, December 2003

Q: What exactly is Splenda?

A: In a simple sentence, you would just as soon have a pesticide in your food as sucralose because sucralose (Splenda) is a chlorocarbon. The chlorocarbons have long been known for causing organ, genetic, and reproductive damage. It should be no surprise, therefore, that the testing of sucralose reveals that it can cause up to 40 percent shrinkage of the thymus: a gland that is the very foundation of our immune system. Sucralose also causes swelling of the liver and kidneys, and CALCIFICATION of the kidney. Note: if you experience kidney pain, cramping, or an irritated bladder after using sucralose in Splenda, stop use immediately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: So sucralose is not found as a natural compound in nature, like real sugar?

A: Absolutely not. No sugar molecule is compounded with chlorine anywhere in nature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Do you know how it is made in the laboratory?

A: I found this information from a statement from the manufacturer, actually. 'Sucralose is made from sugar, but is derived from sucrose (sugar) through a process that selectively substitutes three atoms of chlorine for three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sucrose molecule. No artificial sweetener made in the laboratory is going to be neither natural to the body nor safer than unprocessed sugar', they claim.

People need to stop searching for excuses to eat all the junk food they want without penalty. In the long run, no one benefits from this product but the corporations.

Q: The corporate researchers claim that the chlorine atoms are so tightly bound; they create a molecular structure that is exceptionally stable under extreme pH and temperature conditions. Do you agree?

A: They are testing these conditions in lab rats, and these types of corporate studies have forced and 'selective' results, in my opinion. Aspartame research is the proof of this!

Test these chemicals on a child and see how stable it is--but that would be cruel. So, why then do we buy it and give it to our children? I don't buy into manufacturers' claims when it comes to human beings using ANY man-made chemical. Plus, I have learned over the past 25 years of aspartame research to value independent research above that which is funded by corporations.

Q: The corporations say sucralose is safe.

A: They said the same thing about aspartame, and look at the rampant disease and obesity taking over America since aspartame was put into the food supply over 20 years ago.

Q: Can sucralose cause cancer?

A: Any animal that eats chlorine (especially on a regular basis) is at risk of cancer. The Merk Manuel and OSHA 40 SARA 120 Hazardous Waste Handbook states that chlorine is a carcinogen and emergency procedures should be taken when exposed via swallowing, inhaling, or through the skin.

It all depends upon how much you use and how often, your present and past health status, and the degree of other toxins you are putting inside your body. Good luck with this one …

Q: Sucralose has been thoroughly tested, they claim. Actually they have stated that sucralose is the most tested food additive in history. I quote, " … more than 100 studies on the safety of sucralose designed to meet the highest scientific standards have been conducted and evaluated over the course of 20 years. "

A: I don't believe that for a second. They stated verbatim the same thing about aspartame. We are looking at the same scenario in so many ways. As with NutraSweet, no human studies, corporate payrolled researchers, selective result reporting, government involvement and personal financial interests and controlled media. I will say that sucralose is not as dangerous as aspartame.

Q: Splenda is approximately 600 times sweeter than sugar. How can that be?

A: As I stated before, the product is a forced product, not a natural sugar the body uses for fuel. People forget that sweetness is a by-product of foods--a bonus so to say. Forced sweetness, revved-up sweetness, and artificial sweetness--all altered foods that are a trap for people to get addicted to the sweeter tastes. People with eating disorders, children who are just learning about food, and people with illnesses are all being 'sold a bill of rubbish' in my opinion.

Q: The manufacturer claims sucralose doesn't react with other substances in the body and is not broken down in the body.

A: They claimed the same thing about saccharin, even though I feel saccharin is the only artificial sweetener with true merit. To answer your question, if the body is digesting properly, anything you put into the body will be assimilated. If it happens to be rancid, the stomach will throw it out immediately by vomiting or diarrhea. It is totally out of the realm of biological science to think the body will not immediately attack a toxic chemical. Henceforth, Migraines from aspartame and diarrhea from Splenda.

Now, to add a note to this: if the body is fed an indigestible product such as plastic (like in margarine) that it is incapable of dissolving through normal digestion, it will pass through undigested (if it doesn't get stuck in the gall bladder, that is.) So, if sucralose is indigestible due to its laboratory compounding, then we have yet another serious health problem to consider, don't you think?

Technology is great, but we sure don't need to be eating it!

Q: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and government food authority committees and the Health Ministries in countries such as Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Argentina, and Brazil have confirmed the safety of sucralose. So have the countries of Colombia, Peru, Venezuela, Uruguay, Romania, Lebanon, Qatar, Bahrain, Pakistan, Tajikistan, China, South Africa, and Tanzania. What do you think of all these countries confirming Splenda's safety?

A: The history of aspartame has unfortunately proven that individuals within government agencies cannot and should not be trusted to make such empowering public decisions behind closed doors.

Now, re-read this list of countries … Mexico, Jamaica, Tajikistan and Tanzania? These are the countries in which Splenda is now marketed? (See the final question.) As an international geographer, I can comfortably say that these countries are not nations with the same technology and mass marketing strategies to be compared with the United States. These countries are more concerned with birth control, food staples, hostile take-overs, and drought--not diet sweeteners. Compare apples to apples.

Q: Is sucralose safe for children?

A: The manufacturer actually made this statement for disclosure: "One should note, however, that foods made with low-calorie sweeteners are not normally a recommended part of a child's diet, since calories are important to a growing child's body."

Pay attention … Children should not be encouraged to grow up on fake foods. But just like cigarettes and alcohol, do what I say and not what I do? And we wonder why the younger generation is angry, ill, and ridden with ADD/ADHD and diabetes?? How many kids do you see taking a sip of mom or brother's diet cola?

Q: Who manufactures and markets sucralose?

A: McNeil Specialty Products Company (MSPC), a wholly owned subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, along with Tate & Lyle PLC, a world leader in sweeteners and starches, all share responsibility for developing and manufacturing sucralose for commercial use. Sucralose is the first product from McNeil Specialty, whose mission is to develop and market innovative food ingredients that help consumers control, maintain and improve their health. Internationally, McNeil Specialty markets sucralose in the United States, Canada, Latin America, the Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand, and the Middle East; Tate & Lyle markets sucralose in Africa, Asia, Europe and Canada. Internationally, McNeil Specialty markets sucralose under the name SPLENDAR Brand Sweetener. SPLENDAR is a registered trademark of McNeil Specialty Products Company.

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

This is an excellent interview and one that I encourage you to read carefully if you think Splenda is safe to use.

Please note that I do not advise using Splenda. Over three years ago I posted an article describing the dangers of Splenda (sucralose).

Why not use Splenda? Well, research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems such as:

Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40 percent shrinkage)

Enlarged liver and kidneys

Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus

Increased cecal weight

Reduced growth rate

Decreased red blood cell count

Hyperplasia of the pelvis

Extension of the pregnancy period

Aborted pregnancy

Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights

Diarrhea

Nearly every month we receive a report from someone who has had an adverse reaction to Splenda, and you can see many of these reports posted on our site.

Being as Splenda is about the only sweetenter that will not trigger my cluster headaches, I am not about to give it up over this information.

If the effects were proven to be so dangerous, I would assume there would have been a groundswell of protest from many sectors (i.e. asbestos).

I know that this information was shared with concern for other bandsters. We will each have to weigh the odds and decide if using Splenda outweighs the related risks. Boy, there is always something going on about something!:D

Marie, good post, but I'm not going to read it because I gave up all artificial sweetners after being diagnosed with a lung disease. I have an autoimmune disease called Sarcoidosis, which was diagnosed by accident after an abdominal scan related to my band. The radiologist saw a mass on my lungs in the corner of my abdominal films, so my doc ordered a chest MRI.

There's no known cause for Sarcoidosis, but I've read reports that believe Aspertame could be one of the culprits.

Now I have a lung disease. So I use plain old sugar now. Just a spoon in my morning Decaf. And I occasionally endulge in tea with honey. No more artivicial crap for me.

It is weird that this post came up today. Last Thursday, I felt like something was wrong with me, my stomach hurt and my side hurt and I just felt bad. I actually almost went to the ER, but started thinking about what I was eating/drinking. I only drink Water at home, but at work, I drink tea, etc. Well, I was using quite a bit of splenda in my drinks. I also was eating Cereal with splenda in it. A couple of years ago, I was using sweet and low and when I used too much my eyes would swell up and itch real bad. I began to wonder if maybe I was having a reaction to the splenda as well. I couldn't quite believe that splenda would do it, I had read so many articles about how it is so safe and was made from the sugar. Well, it was the only thing I had been doing different. So, all weekend I didn't drink or use any splenda at all. I have already improved a lot. I really do think it was the splenda that was making me so ill and hurt even to walk across the floor. I will not use it anymore, and see if it was indeed that. I got a tea today, but got it with real sugar in it. I have been using splenda since it came out, but I have just been using more of it in the last month or so. I guess time will tell.

Betty

If you have ever been od on medicine, that is what I felt like, only I had not changed any of my meds. I will keep you posted, but I already feel lots better.

Betty

Betty, I know exactly what you're talking about - the feeling of being on meds. When I drank Diet Pepsi or anything with artificial sweetners, I actually felt high or medicated or something weird. But when I stopped drinking diet and drank regular Pepsi, I never felt that way.

There's something in sweeteners that makes me feel bad. And I don't care what anyone says, the artificials sweeteners have an addictive quality. I tried quitting Diet Pepsi for years, but I was so addicted that I'd be grouchy as hell if I couldn't get one. I weaned myself off by mixing diet with regular. Now I'm finally off sodas, but I took a sip of a Diet Pepsi yesterday, and it was so gross. Hard to believe I used to drink the stuff by the barrell.

I started using splenda about 2 months ago - I WAS using un-refined (brown) sugar. But the carb levels were more then I wanted, so when I got the band I switched to the splenda.

Havent had any side affects from it so far. Im not gonna give it a chance though... back to the natural brown sugar! I do NOT need any EXTRA health concerns.

I love all of you so much that I just wanted to share this information with the rest of you.

Betty - hope things get better now that you MAY have found the root to your failing heath.

This information is always so disconcerting to me. I am the child of a diabetic who was also a dentist, and was literally brought up on artificial sweetener. When I was a child the options were cyclamates and saccharin, which were dangerous and tasted bad.

Sugar really makes me sleepy, which in my imagination is a precursor to having a diabetic-level sensitivity to it. But there's no getting around my occasional sweet-tooth; if I were to sweeten my coffee with sugar I'd be using 5 or 6 teaspoons per cup.

So it's a lose-lose situation. Sigh.

Sugar has been around since the beginning of time (as far back as my brain can calculate.) Sure, it's got carbs, but isn't it worth the real thing once in awhile?

Originally posted by DeLarla

Sugar has been around since the beginning of time (as far back as my brain can calculate.) Sure, it's got carbs, but isn't it worth the real thing once in awhile?

Hell yes. I don't have a problem with sugar if it's in food in normal, natural amounts. Like even in ice cream, it doesn't have the same sleep-inducing effect. But if I have a candy bar or something like that, I'm passed out 10 minutes later. There are just SUCH concentrated levels of sugar in processed food these days.

Of course, that doesn't keep me from doing it up once in a while. Snore. :D

I appreciate the spirit in which this information was shared, but personally I am taking it with a huge grain of salt. I don't know if Splenda is or is not harmful because I haven't researched the issue. I am curious as to whether the doctor in this article has done any long term double-blinded experiments with Splenda and whether her results have been published in a peer-reviewed journal. I doubt it or I assume she would have referred to a particular study. Instead all she does is state that the chemical in Splenda is similar to chemicals which have been shown (again, where? how?) to be harmful. In fact, I wonder what kind of doctor she is. Whenever I see a book or article written by "Dr." so-and-so instead of so-and-so M.D. or Ph.D., I wonder. It's just like "Dr. Laura." I can't remember what her PhD is in, but it is a subject totally unrelated to psychology.

If you have begun using Splenda and soon afterward noticed unpleasant symptoms, please don't jump to conclusions that it was the Splenda that caused it. A correlation between two events does not prove cause and effect. For example, I slept in a hotel last night and I woke up with a sinus headache. Was my headache caused by the hotel? Or was it caused by the high pollen count outside? Jumping to conclusions about what is causing your symptoms could cause you to overlook other possible causes of them.

I would also advise caution to those who would switch to sugar on the basis of this article. Sugar has definitely been proven to be harmful to humans in that overconsumption can lead to obesity, insulin resistance, and diabetes.

There is so much information coming at us from all sides and all kinds of media these days that we must become skeptical consumers of information.

Nancy

Hi,

I hope this doesn't seem pointed at you, as I'm not questioning the intention of your posting of this article, If I could read it and believe it, I'd have posted it too. Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that much of it IS true. There could well be merit to it. I personally am not a fan of any artificial sweeteners... I get an after-taste from every brand I've ever tried, and am never surprised to hear that something artificial is bad for us.

But I've just gotta clear something up...

I'm not sure I can buy this as a legitimate "scientific article", when it states ingested plastic could "get stuck in the gall bladder" That actually made me laugh out loud. Nothing we ingest passes through the gall bladder.

The GB is behind the liver and above the intestines. It is a small pouch that has out flow.

The GB produces digestive enzymes (bile) that flows down into the intestine through a tiny bile duct, meets up with our dinner and continues the digestive breakdown.

The gallbladder and or bile duct can be blocked, but to my knowledge, only by stones, tumors or cancer. It creates stones from an excess of the acid we cause it to produce when we eat high fat hard to digest garbage.

plastic stuck in the gallbladder... good lord :straight

I agree, I laughed when I read about the plastic. I had already suspected the splenda before this article got posted. I am not saying splenda is bad for you, or good for you. I am saying I was using a lot of it and I really think that is what caused my problems, like I said I had a bad reaction to sweet and low too. I doubt if you use splenda in small doses, it would affect you. I was using maybe 6-10 packs a day, and I think that is what happened. I also drank lemonade with splenda and fudge bars with splenda. I have been feeling so much better since I stopped, and I probably won't go back to it ever again. I haven't used sugar since about late 70's early 80's, but I will now. I don't really think it will harm me if I use my head and watch how much I use. Please don't think just because it affected me that way it will affect you the same way. You might use it the rest of your life and never be affected. I used it for years before my first reaction to it. I definately don't want to scare anyone or upset anyone. I had a Doctor once that put me on medication and I got so sick that I thought I was dying. Everything inside my body was irratated. I went to a different Doctor and he said I was overdosed on the medication I was on and actually did not need it at all. It took weeks to get back on my feet, I was that bad. Once it all got out of my system, I was fine. That is exactly how I felt last week, and I am feeling 75% better since I stopped the splenda. I have not changed one other thing. I will just have to wait and see if it is indeed the splenda for sure. I can say this much, my stomach doesn't feel like a big boil anymore. It is not hurting at all! Time will tell.

Betty