Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I'm early in my journey (I'll be at least five months before I have surgery) but I can't stop researching and I have a question. I read a lot on the forums that this whole thing is just as much about a physical change as it is a mental change. A lot of people mention the brain change they had that enabled them to rethink how they think about eating and food. My questions is this...being that I'm a few months out from my surgery? are there things I can do to retrain my brain to this new way of thinking? My program requires that I lose 10% of my weight before surgery and I'm trying to find a good program for myself to help facilitate this weight loss. So far I've been doing at getting rid of things I have daily that I know I'll have to do without after surgery (monster drinks in particular). I'm just wondering what people did to retrain your brain? or if this is just something that comes as a side effect of the surgery?

Hello and welcome!! I am so glad you joined us so early in your journey. :D

Yes, there is a lot of mental change that YOU have to do with surgery. Unfortunately, the surgeon can only operate on our tummies and has little control over what goes on in your head. THAT, my friend, is up to you. The fact that you care to make changes now indicates that you are probably really ready to get on your way and while you may hit some bumps on the road, you can and will be successful.

Giving up small (but really honking big!) things like your Monster drinks or soda now is a great start. It's hard to quit everything at once, for sure. I gave up caffeine and soda three months pre-op and I am so glad I did. It would also be a great idea to start training yourself to SLOW DOWN when you eat and to do so mindfully. Taking smaller bites, chewing really well and taking a moment between bites is a huge transistion and my inability to master that caused a lot of my discomfort and vomiting when I was on real food. Don't fall into that trap.

If you can, start getting used to not drinking 30 minutes before/after and with your meal. To me, this was one of the toughest things to learn. I was a die hart weight watcher and they preached drinking gallons with and before every meal. You will be shocked at how hard this is to change. I am 7 months out tomorrow and have finally learned that drinking even a little after I eat will cause vomiting or sliming.

Start going to support classes now so if you are able so you know what to expect! This is a fabulous journey, one I've enjoyed very much and am so happy I did. You will be, too. I am sure!

I agree....My surgery is 12/23, and I had to do a 3 month nutrition program which extended into four, waiting for the actual date. I was required to log onto myfitnesspal.com and record my eating every day. The nutritionist had me on 1100 calories and 60 grams of protein...eating Protein first at every meal. Small bites, eat slow, pace drinking beverages, no caffeine, no carbonated.....so these four months have helped me prepare for my new life. I don't feel overwhelmed by having to make a lot of changes, because I made them. Now we just get down to the real thing - only a week away. Good luck to you.

Two suggestions from me: first, give up mindless snacking. Allow yourself two or three small Snacks per day, planned and measured in advance, and that's it. Second, eat mindfully. That means you eat at a table (not in your car, not on a sofa, not in bed, etc.) and without a screen in front of you -- no tv, no computer, no picking up the phone during a meal (or snack, snacks get eaten mindfully too).

I agree with Miss Mac, it's a good idea to start logging all your food on MFP or a similar app. There are studies out there that show that people who log their food intake lose twice as much as those who don't. And I've been hanging around this forum a long time and have seen a lot of "help, I've fallen off the wagon and am gaining weight!" and "I can't seem to lose these last thirty pounds!" type posts and rarely if ever is the poster someone who is faithfully logging their food intake. So I am a big advocate of just making that a habit and getting used to it for the long haul.

Give up caffeine - if you are a soda or coffee drinker, ween yourself off gradually. (I went thru withdrawal when I tried giving coffee up cold turkey and it sucked - I had to ween myself off slowly, over the course of 3 weeks).

Practice mindful eating - don't eat in from of the TV or while reading.

Put your fork down between bites. There's an app called Eat Slower - download it (it's free) and set it to a minute - it will ding when it's time to take another bite. You will be surprised at how you will then feel your stomach (even pre-op) fill up and you can distinguish when you're full.

Practice chewing your food - chew each bite 20-25 times. This is necessary post-op.

Eat with appetizer spoons and forks - this will help you take the necessary sized bite early in post op when smaller bites are needed.

Integrate shakes into your day - maybe once a day, drink a shake and get creative. Add sugar free syrups, sugar free jello/pudding, or low-gylcemic fruits like strawberries or blueberries.

Cut back on your refined foods, specifically flour-based foods like bread, pastries, pastas, etc.

I did a lot of these things 4 weeks pre-op - while nothing can prepare you for how things will go post-op, you can certainly help yourself out by trying these things and the things the posters above state.

It's good that you're prepping yourself. You would be surprised at the number of people I spoke to at the surgeons office that had no clue what they were getting in to or what life would be like post op. This is a great forum to use as a resource.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you all for the suggestions.....from the suggestions I guess Im doing pretty good!! I already gave up caffieen and carbonation and I have been logging all my food into an app!! I've only been working on the chewing and not drinking while eating for the last week or so, so I guess Im doing well to prepare myself. Thanks Again!