Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Year Out & have been same weight since 5 Months out!

Went into Surgery 1 year ago at 215 lbs. Have been 165 lbs. since 5 months out. Clothes fit the same too. I exercise 3-4 times a week, and follow all rules; except I have incorporated sugar back into my diet. It does not make me sick. Mostly Dove Dark chocolate squares; I used to be happy and satisfied with 2, but now I can (want to) eat 6. I have also dabbled in Desserts brought into work and at parties. Thinking I would only eat a bite or two, but then I eat like 2 or 3 cupcakes, brownies, or pieces of pie. Ugh.... Anyone else having these issues? Cannot imagine this is what has stalled my weight loss for the past 7 months?? Just not sure. My Surgeon thinks I should get down to 140-145 pounds, I am 5' 3". I feel good at my current weight, just cannot accept it yet. If I am this weight at 18 months out, then I will accept it.

Edited by Pamela Bitson

Went into Surgery 1 year ago at 215 lbs. Have been 165 lbs. since 5 months out. Clothes fit the same too. I exercise 3-4 times a week, and follow all rules; except I have incorporated sugar back into my diet. It does not make me sick. Mostly Dove Dark chocolate squares; I used to be happy and satisfied with 2, but now I can (want to) eat 6. I have also dabbled in desserts brought into work and at parties. Thinking I would only eat a bite or two, but then I eat like 2 or 3 cupcakes, brownies, or pieces of pie. Ugh.... Anyone else having these issues?

Hi Pamela!

Yes, I feel several of us will go through this at some point. Just have to jump back on the wagon. Sugar is a slippery slope, especially for me. I love my sleeve tummy and don't want to fill it with the crap, but I do indulge on occasion.

If I want a cookie, I have A cookie. One. If I want a 2nd, well, I have to earn it. I go for a walk and add mileage to compensate. Sometimes, I have talked myself out of that extra cookie because I don't have any more time to do more walking. Lol.

Once we get the flavor back in our bodies, we have to go through that sugar detox again. Did you have a pre-op? I swear that was brutal for me. Day 2 almost did me in. Thank goodness i only had a 7 day preop diet. I didn't realize the detox associated with sugar. I can't incorporate that back in my life.

Good luck and get focused. You can do this! Darn holiday treats!!

Hi, Pamela--

Welcome & I'm sure you'll get lots of detailed answers:). I know that carbs & sugars are commonly held to ignite our appetites. My experience is that eating a sweet starts the craving, out-of-control cycle for me. Once I've given in to it (even for a day) it takes me 3 days to "de-tox" from the sugar/carb. BUT --after that uncomfortable 3 days is over, I am not hungry or sweets-interested AT ALL. I then get back on a roll of just eating high protein/low carb and usually soon lose 3-5 lbs quickly, which reinforces the positive cycle I'm on.

Again, I'm sure you'll get lots of advice-- congrats on reducing your set- weight to 165, though-- that sounds pretty healthy & fun to me :)!!

Yes I do, except my issue, oddly enough, isn't with sweets. I tend to "dump" so at 10 months post-op my vice's are pizza, chips and the occassional plate of jollof rice. Although it hasn't completley stalled my weight loss (although I do w/o about 5-6 days a week, 60 mins, and stick to my pills and water) it has slowed it drastically. I go through 2 and 3 months stalls because of my struggles with these foods. I still binge, just...much slower I guess.

It's been an extreme mental struggle. Before surgery I was all about sweets, now because my body can't take it anymore I am all about salty, carby Snacks...sigh...that whole "replacing - one - addiction - for - another thing" has reared it's ugly head again...but I keep up the struggle and each day I make a mistake I vow the next morning not to make the same one...I'll get it eventually.

I was off sugar for pre-op and most of post-op until about 5 months out (funny, that is when I stalled) - I don't even remember when it was, what it was or how much I ate, but that just started it all. I know I am a sugar addict and I need to "detox" again. It is stress & boredom that get to me and I go for the sweets. Also, I do not fill up on sweets, I do eat my Protein, etc... and then crave sweets afterwards, therefore taking in too many calories. (looks like I may have answered my own questions!) LOL