Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

water water water

Ok... I'm 5 days out and in woke up this morning feeling like I could drink an ocean. I'm so thirsty. I know this is supposed to be a good thing, but silly question...where is it all fitting?

What was everyone else eating (well drinking) at 5 days out?

It is my understanding that liquids pass quickly through the stoma. I have always been able to meet liquids goals, even early out. I can't chug liquids, but if I sip, I'm fine. Solid protein...after 3 oz, I'm done. My surgery was 4/29/13.

It was explained to me by my team that our original stomach has a valve between the stomach and intestine that opens and closes, allowing food to move from the stomach into the intestine in small regulated intervals. The bypass procedure also bypasses that valve which is still part of the old unused stomach. Our new modified pouches have a continuously open stoma instead of a valve. Fluids go through very quickly, a does liquid foods like Soups, and semi liquids like yogurt, puddings, an pureed foods. Solid foods take a little longer. That I why we can't drink for a period before or after eating - because it'll wash the solids through faster. Then you won't get the satisfied feeling, causing you to eat more and sabotaging your weight loss efforts.

I was wondering the same thing. I drink Water like a fish and two shakes. Where is it all going and why do I not fill it in my pouch

You do not fill anything in your pouch yet because your body is still healing. The nerve endings need to heal before you will feel full. This is why it is important to measure your foods and liquid I take during the first few months.

As for being so thirsty. This does get better. It can be a sign that your body is dehydrating so make sure you are getting in your fluids like your docs instructions. If you are having issues drinking enough suck on ice all day and sip sip sip.