Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some slight pain in middle of chest which comes and goes since my third band fill 6 days ago

Haven't felt A1 since my fill on Saturday. Had an episode of sliming on Monday and was sick with it (just saliva). It was all my fault because I obviously hadn't chewed properly !

I never want to experience that again!

I can eat much less now, feel totally different. But I have experienced this mild pain in middle of my chest today, wondered if it might be hunger? Has anyone else experienced this? I am needing some reassurance :(

you are doing very well. it sounds totally normal to me. my doctor suggested with the first bite of food especially to chew, swallow and than wait a few min's and than go for another bite. sometimes she said that first bite of food can get stuck. the pain you describe is food getting stuck even if its very temporary.

Hi Sally,

Your stoma could be a bit irritated from the slimming episode you had on Monday and the swelling could be causing food to not pass fully.

Try going back to liquids for a day or two, and try some warm tea to see if that helps to sooth things for you. If you still have that tight feeling after then you may need a tiny unfill to take the pressure off.

It is not a bad thing to unfill even if it's a tiny bit, you can always put it back in later as needed. In my opinion it's better to take out a bit and heal the swelling then to risk erosion or slip down the line.

Let us know how your doing in a few days OK?

Haven't felt A1 since my fill on Saturday. Had an episode of sliming on Monday and was sick with it (just saliva). It was all my fault because I obviously hadn't chewed properly !

I never want to experience that again!

I can eat much less now, feel totally different. But I have experienced this mild pain in middle of my chest today, wondered if it might be hunger? Has anyone else experienced this? I am needing some reassurance :(

Hi Sally,

As you get more saline added to your band, you have to re-adjust your eating and slow way down. Take teeny bites, (pea size) and wait until that food goes down before taking another bite.

When the band is tightly restricted, if you eat too fast and start slimming, this can cause some additional swelling, (and swelling can sometimes make the band a bit tighter) and you may experience some discomfort around the band (the band is located in your chest area, upper stomach).

It takes newbies a little while to get used to restriction and slowing down, what you are experiencing is normal and getting used to your band.

What is NOT normal after a recent adjustment is frequent vomiting, and not able to eat any solids without vomiting.

Good luck

Thanks so much everyone. I realised that I had got into some bad habits before the fill, i.e. Eating too larger pieces, not chewing enough, eating too fast! I have had to re educate myself, and feel so much better now.

Thank you so much for your support, it means so much, there is nothing like getting advice from people who have experienced what you are.

XXX

hi everyone I have found this very helpful myself and I am nearly 13 months post op , you never stop learning . I think sometimes we forget to slow down when eating , the discomfort being a stark reminder to slow up , chew well .