Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lump in my throat

Before I got my first fill, sometimes in the morning, I would feel the feeling you get when you take medicine and it "doesn't go down," like a lump in my throat. (That description is not necessarily a sensation felt by bandsters only, but I never had it before I was banded unless I had swallowed something that just didn't seem to go all the way down at first.) Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying I get the feeling when I take medicine. As I said, I felt it in the mornings, like before I even got out of bed. But since my first fill, I have the feeling pretty much all the time. It doesn't matter if I have eaten. I even had it when I was doing the liquid diet, after the fill. This isn't the bad feeling when you eat too fast. It's just a mild sensation, not painful, but bothersome. Anyone else have that? Do you know what it is?

I have just started having this feeling. It feels like the lump you get in your throat before your about to start crying uncontrolablly. The feeling is just uncomfortable not a pain. At first I was worried I couldn't breath but I can breath fine I can eat and drink fine too. The discomfort goes away as I eat and drink. I think it is just a muscle in the throat that is having a spasm. I guess I'll go to the dr. if it doesn't get better soon. SO did your throat lump ever go away?

I'm still having the problem. I'll be going to my family doctor next week for other things and will ask him about it. But he doesn't do banding, and he may not know anything about it. However, I'm going to my surgeon for a fill next weekend. I'll let you know what he says when I get back.

I hope you can get some answers from one or the other! Keep us informed.

Gina

I'm still having the problem. I'll be going to my family doctor next week for other things and will ask him about it. But he doesn't do banding, and he may not know anything about it. However, I'm going to my surgeon for a fill next weekend. I'll let you know what he says when I get back.

I hope you find out what is causing it and feel better soon. I'm still feeling that sensation. It has been a week now.:welldoneclap: Please let us know what it is.

Gina, Are you experiencing it, too?

No, not for no good reason or when I am still in bed -- just when I eat to fast - old habits :guess are HARD to break sometimes.

But I really haven't had any (or let's say not very much) :rolleyesrestriction -- I could eat anything from surgery to first fill == including Steak, bread, salad, you name it!

I had my fill last Thursday which did give me good restriction to begin with - been doing liquids for the most part. I hope it continues.:welldoneclap:

Gina

Just to keep you all informed, I didn't go to see the doctor for my fill because his fluoroscope broke. We'll be rescheduling. My family doctor didn't know much about it. I'm anxious, though. Half the time, it feels like someone has their finger on my Adam's apple.

I have this lump in my throat feeling too, but banded 3/19/07 and still finding restriction, so I went in for my 3rd fill and the feeling almost immediately felt more intense.

I figured w/ the 24 hours of liquids, then mush I'd be fine, I just didn't chew well enough or something and injured it somehow.

Nope, now I have acid break through, its a signal of acid reflux that isn't bad enough to start burning yet. You may be too tight, or as I always fear the worst-case scenario: slippage.

Call your Dr. and get a slight unfill and see how you feel then.

When I talked to one of the docs at my OCC she said she wanted to see me immeditately tomorrow and she said it wasn't a good sign. GREAT!

I finnally find restriction and now I have to get some Fluid out. Freaking fabulous.

The surgeon still hasn't seen me, but he believes this is a form of esophageal motility disorder caused by irritation from over-flilling the pouch (eating too much for a bandster). I think it may have occurred when I was still learning portioning.

The surgeon still hasn't seen me, but he believes this is a form of esophageal motility disorder caused by irritation from over-flilling the pouch (eating too much for a bandster). I think it may have occurred when I was still learning portioning.

Actually, I'm being too hard on myself. There are a number of reasons for motility, and I have been relatively careful about the amount of food I eat.

I haven't seen him yet. We're still waiting for the fluoroscope to be repaired. He needs it to look at my throat. Barbara now has me set up for the July fill trip. Hopefully, it'll be fixed by then. Meanwhile, I've lost 57 pounds. That's a half pound short of halfway there for me.

Richard,

What did Dr. Rod suggest you do about this?