Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone use BCBS-MN recently???

Hi!! Just wondering if anyone has used BCBS of MN for their lap band lately? If so, what were their requirements to have it done? Would love any info anyone can give me. Thanks in advance!!

Robin

I was banded 1 month ago and my husband's company goes through BCBS of MN. They want at least 2 documented weight loss Dr. supervised programs, you need to visit with a Psych. (which is covered) and a dietician (which is not covered - cost about $300), you need a referral from you primary doctor. You need to be prepared to fill out forms that ask what diet programs you have tried (beginning weight, ending weight, how much you've gain back and how many months you were on that program). BCBS was pretty good to work with and I got approval in about 8 days. We are still waiting to see how much they will pay on the surgery which costs $5700 Dr fees and $13,500 for the hospital. Should be at least 90% or more since we have met our max. out of pocket expenses already this year.

Hope this was helpful!

That is so funny, I have Bcbs of RI and what a long laundry list of things, endscopy, psyc, sleep study, heart clearance, nutritionist and dietician which depending on who i saw just had $15/25 co/pay. My surgeon designed their program around bcbs because they were the most demanding on a paper trail and they take up to 2 weeks for approval so I hope to have mine by Tuesday of next week.

I think the waiting period after going through all their requirments is extremely stressful. I've been working on this for a little over a year - I am so ready!

Good luck

I would be interested as well in any info regarding BCBS of MN. I have the list of requirements, but have never been on an official Dr. supervised diet. I'm hoping this can be self report. I have never been successful in getting support at helping me with losing weight. The one thing a Dr. said was eat healthier foods...which is a no brainer.

I have tried weight watchers, low fat diets, and a whole lot of exercise. Nothing stays off for long.

I would really like to get this done in early summer, so that hopefully I can lose some weight before my cruise in September.

So any help so that I can start preparing now would be great.:)

BC/BS of Minn is thru my husbands work. Dr's ofc told me this week that they want 12 months doctor supervised diet. Also, was told they wont pay up front or approve up front. You have to pay for it then submit the bill and records to them. They review then decide if they will pay.

BC/BS of Minn is thru my husbands work. Dr's ofc told me this week that they want 12 months doctor supervised diet. Also, was told they wont pay up front or approve up front. You have to pay for it then submit the bill and records to them. They review then decide if they will pay.

That is absolutely horrible! I have bcbs RI and I had to do all that stuff, my dr set his program based on BCBS requirements. I went to a nutritionist to track the program and we were required to lose 10% prior to approval. My bcbs did approve me but not until every pc of paper they required was submitted and I had to write in my own words a few paragraph paper on my weight history as part of the approval process. My pc has not done much to help me but they did write a great referral letter saying I've been a patient for 20 years and have always struggled with my weight.

GOOD LUCK

I have BCBS of MN and am going through MeritCare Clinic in Fargo, ND. The person there said they are very good about paying and we just have to submit for prior approval. They also said that BCBS is really looking for only 3 months of supervised weight loss, psych eval, obesity for more than 3 years. Apparently they are even being more lenient with people who didn't have the supervised weight loss plan. This is from the person at the hospital who takes care of submitting the claims. I would do some more checking into it if I were you. Good luck!!