Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm New To The Forum And Need Some Help With Lingo.

What is PBing and Stuck? I feel like I may be stuck but idk what it means. Help please!!

Hi Amber, And welcome!

PB'ing is a term used to describe when food that has NOT went through the band area ( stoma ) is brought back up. A "productive Burp". For me, it's when I didn't chew it well enough.

Stuck for me, is when a bit of food is physically stuck in the area where the band is. Once again, caused by my not chewing well enough or eating something that doesn't work so well with my band restriction level... It has always passed....and I try and remember to do something different next time. Chew better, etc.

Hope this helps. Best wishes! :)

Edited by catfish87

It would help of you told us how you feel.

PBing is sometimes cause by what he said above. Its a constant burp, usually there is also pain in your chest. It can also be accompanied by a buildup of a Fluid we call SLIME in the back of your throat. It's highly uncomfortable and usually results in vomiting the slime and/or the food you're stuck on. There is usually immediate relief after it comes up. Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by HotButterFly

Well I am not sure how to explain the feeling. It feels like there is something stuck in my chest area & it's extremely painful. After about 2-3 hours it subsides like nothing ever happened. I recently had a fill done and so I'm assuming it's the tightening of the band combined with me not chewing properly. I'm not 100% positive of course, but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced the same sensation. It doesn't happen all the time, but every now and then it GETS me good. Today it has happened twice. I am going to try hot fluids to see if that helps. Thank you for your responses :)

it happens. just remember that there are really soft signals that indicate if you are going to be in trouble, usually with the next bite. a tiny feeling of fullness, a feeling of heart burn almost. a burp. it's always the next bite that does you in. i usually blow it with my very first bite of food. i always forget. and swallow to soon, and get that feeling. so i wait until the all clear. and than i just eat small bites chewed very well.

If you are already taking small bites, take even smaller ones. Use small utensils.... You won't believe how helpful that is! Try counting how many times you chew (I think it should be 30times) AND, wait between bites. It's very weird, I tell ya, but eating this way really helps in preventing what you explained. When I get "stuck" it only lasts a few minutes. I can't even begin to think about being stuck for hours.... I couldn't deal with that.

If you're stuck for that long you must be trying to get pretty big bites down. Also after an episode of stuck, most go on liquids for awhile and rest things

Where I get confused is : you slow way down to avoid getting stuck but shouldn't eat your meal for longer than 15 minutes. Then an hour later I'm hungry again due to nor getting enough food the first time. Agghhhhh

Where I get confused is : you slow way down to avoid getting stuck but shouldn't eat your meal for longer than 15 minutes. Then an hour later I'm hungry again due to nor getting enough food the first time. Agghhhhh

Usual time is 20 minutes, but that can vary. I stopped worrying about the time limit, I measure my food up front, then I eat it as slowly as I need to, so that I don't get stuck. 30 minutes for a meal is not unusual. The time limit is really there to make sure you don't over eat, since you can by pass the restriction of the band by constantly eating. If you take 30 minutes to get your cup of food down, that isn't a problem. If you get it down in the first 10 minutes and then keep on eating, that is the problem.

Edited by Terry Poperszky