Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Aren't You Losing Weight?

Why Aren't You Losing Weight?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Why Aren't You Losing Weight?

• I no longer care if I lose weight
    • I don't follow Bandster rules regarding food
    • I don't exercise enough
    • I drink fluids with my meals
    • I can't seem to give up sweets
    • I haven't beaten my head hunger issues
    • No support system in place at my home
    • The band doesn't work
    • I'd rather eat what I want than to lose weight
    • Medical problem (slipped, eroded, etc.)
    • Plateau that I can't break OR I use plateau as an excuse
    • I'll lose weight later
    • Alcohol issues
    • I AM losing weight
    • Other (please explain)

Well I am sure glad you found another doctor. There is no reason in the world that any doctor should treat his patients with anything besides compassion and kindness. You probably (or your insurance) paid him a lot of money and there is no reason for that kind of treatment.

this was an old 2007 post. she's at goal now - with the band

Actually, Saturday I plan on talking to my doc about revision to a sleeve. So far he's saying no. But I am saying yes. Not sure who will win this one. ;o)

Actually, Saturday I plan on talking to my doc about revision to a sleeve. So far he's saying no. But I am saying yes. Not sure who will win this one. ;o)

Seriously?? Seriously?

WHY?

Seriously?? Seriously?

WHY?

Too many problems and issues. I want a sleeve. I have for a long time but my doc didn't want to do an unnecessary surgical procedure and from his point of view, I understand that and for a long time he was right. But I'm tired of esophageal spasms, taking PPIs, fills, unfills, stoma spasms, the works. It just seems like it is always something. So yep, I want a sleeve. Not sure he'll agree that problems are bad enough to do surgery but we'll see.

I understand why you are going to talk to your doc about it.

If I was to lose my band for whatever reason, I would be asking for a sleeve rather than a new band.

I understand why you are going to talk to your doc about it.

If I was to lose my band for whatever reason, I would be asking for a sleeve rather than a new band.

If you had it to do all over again, starting from day #1, would you get a sleeve or a band?

Knowing then, what I know now?

Sleeve.

I didn't know if this was going to work. If I could work. If I could live with it. The "what ifs" got me. I need to know that if I was having a hard time, I could have it removed.

Now, three years and 190 odd lbs later, the ability to remove the band (and potentially regain the weight) isn't as attractive.

The band is fantastic, and if it was the only option I had besides the DS or RNY, it would be my first choice. But throw the option of the sleeve in there...

I should add that I am totally happy with my band at this very moment. I wouldn't have it removed and replaced for no reason because it would be another surgery for me (I have had 3 in three years - the band, TT then an ovary removed) and I don't want to have surgery for no reason.

But if something went wrong and I had to have surgery anyway... I would go the sleeve.

Knowing then, what I know now?

Sleeve.

I didn't know if this was going to work. If I could work. If I could live with it. The "what ifs" got me. I need to know that if I was having a hard time, I could have it removed.

Now, three years and 190 odd lbs later, the ability to remove the band (and potentially regain the weight) isn't as attractive.

The band is fantastic, and if it was the only option I had besides the DS or RNY, it would be my first choice. But throw the option of the sleeve in there...

Yeah, if it was a choice between RNY, DS, or a band, I'd find a way to make this band doable. But with a sleeve... it's a great option.

I too didn't know if the band would work and the idea of reversible was appealing at first. But no way to I want to regain weight and today (vs. yesterday) permanent sounds pretty darn good! Why would I want to regain?

Mostly I'm tired of battling band issues at the moment.

**sigh** i dont know enuff about the sleeve and am too tired (ahem lazy) to look it up ... can you give me the jist of it?

btw - what's a PB?

**sigh** i dont know enuff about the sleeve and am too tired (ahem lazy) to look it up ... can you give me the jist of it?

btw - what's a PB?

A sleeve is where they remove a majority of your stomach. That affects the vagus nerve and people don't typically experience hunger for about two years. It's like a forever band pouch with perfect restriction. There is nothing bypass, no malabsorption, etc. Just a smaller stomach like a band pouch without the fills, unfills, restriction issues, port issues, slips, erosion, etc.

Thing is, you have to go to an especially good surgeon for a sleeve. It's not a procedure you can go to just anyone for. Risks are low but they happen more with an experienced or bad surgeon. I'm kinda anxious to get it done. I am finding myself with this spooky feeling of .. what if my doc moves? What if he retires? There are two surgeons I'd trust with this particular revision and my doc is one of them. Not sure why I have this feeling that I need to get it done and not mess around with it anymore. Probably an unreasonable feeling on my part, I know. But I would like to get it done before I do plastics.

BTW, PB means the same as STHU! ;o)

Sooo.... no hunger? And it is like having restriction all the time with no fills? I haven't looked into it either and never even heard of it until I seen the adds on here. Can the sleeve slip or anything?

Sooo.... no hunger? And it is like having restriction all the time with no fills? I haven't looked into it either and never even heard of it until I seen the adds on here. Can the sleeve slip or anything?

No, a sleeve cannot slip. A slip is when the back of the stomach wall (usually it's the back) slides up through the band creating a bigger pouch. With a sleeve there is no band. Just a smaller stomach.

There is a bit more surgical risk because of potential leaks and potential infection as there is a drain for a couple of days. Drains work two ways, they allow body Fluid to drain from the body but they also create a place for bacteria to travel in the body cavity so usually people are on antibiotics for a few days after surgery just as a preventative measure. But after the initial 30 days are done, you are done. There is virtually no medical care needed. Sleeve folks take a Multivitamin daily like banded folks and some take a B12 tablet under their tongue monthly. That's it. No fills, unfills, restriction, ports, erosion, slips, nothing!

I am soooo looking forward to the day of no restriction issues!

No, a sleeve cannot slip. A slip is when the back of the stomach wall (usually it's the back) slides up through the band creating a bigger pouch. With a sleeve there is no band. Just a smaller stomach.

There is a bit more surgical risk because of potential leaks and potential infection as there is a drain for a couple of days. Drains work two ways, they allow body Fluid to drain from the body but they also create a place for bacteria to travel in the body cavity so usually people are on antibiotics for a few days after surgery just as a preventative measure. But after the initial 30 days are done, you are done. There is virtually no medical care needed. Sleeve folks take a Multivitamin daily like banded folks and some take a B12 tablet under their tongue monthly. That's it. No fills, unfills, restriction, ports, erosion, slips, nothing!

I am soooo looking forward to the day of no restriction issues!

That I understand. Kinda like a forever band?

Because I know you have had lots of issues it makes sense now....

The thought of loosing my band scares the shit out of me, I could't live one day without it.