Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 Days Post Op! How Much Can You Eat And Lose ?

Hello,

How much can most people eat 13 days post op and what is the average weight loss by 13 days

Hello,

How much can most people eat 13 days post op and what is the average weight loss by 13 days

That is all highly individual. At 13 days out each person is eating what their surgeon says to. Weight loss varies widely from person to person.

Don't worry about comparing yourself to others or an "average." Just do your own thing in your own time. That will be right for you and that is what matters, most. :D

Most of us followed Dr's orders and ate the 4-8 oz/meal prescribed by most docs. But many of us were very hungry and could have eaten more. That would be a bad idea as the surgery has not healed completely before the first 30 days.

Hello,

Please don't set yourself up for failure. There is no average weight loss and 13 days post op might find you with a weight gain due to swelling, fluids, etc. Just take this journey to wherever it leads you and know that as long as you follow your doctor's guidelines, you should do well. Good luck!

I am doing what the MD says Just a little discouraged today. Last week I lost 10 pounds but this week none :(

Edited by jujusmommy07

I was banded on 11/15 and lost 13lbs the first 2 weeks. I am on the 2nd day of my 4 week and have not lost any additional weight. It is easy to get discouraged especially when you know your following the rules but I read that the weightloss slows down and you feel more hungry prior to your first fill because the swelling has gone down and you body is trying to adjust to the changes your making.

I am doing what the MD says Just a little discouraged today. Last week I lost 10 pounds but this week none :(

oh sweetheart...you've just started. first of all, ten pounds is amazing. second...you will have stalls, weight gains, plateaus, etc. just focus on following your doc's protocol, which it sounds like you are doing, and the weight will come off. Remember...you didn't gain it overnight, and you won't lose it that way either. I bet that three months from now, you'll have a nice weight loss and maybe even be in smaller sizes.

oh sweetheart...you've just started. first of all, ten pounds is amazing. second...you will have stalls, weight gains, plateaus, etc. just focus on following your doc's protocol, which it sounds like you are doing, and the weight will come off. Remember...you didn't gain it overnight, and you won't lose it that way either. I bet that three months from now, you'll have a nice weight loss and maybe even be in smaller sizes.

WORD. :)

While you are healing from surgery, your body is going to change and your weight is going to naturally fluctuate. I am sixteen days out and only stepped in a scale once because I needed to be seen by a primary care health care provider. Otherwise, I am avoiding scales except for when i am seen at my surgeon's office because I feel so strongly that right now is not the time to be worrying about weight loss, but to be concentrating on healing, recovering and setting myself up for a healthier future. :D

Wow! You lost 10 lbs in one week and you are frustrated! Please don't be, now is the time for healing! Many surgeons, mine included, do not allow eating for the 1st 2 weeks, only liquids. Weightlosses vary as much as poeple do! don't judge yourself by others. best wishes, Karen

Here's an article that explains why we lose weight so rapidly in the beginning and stall shortly after 2 weeks:

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html#.UqP7uBLn-Uk

all the answers and advice you were given are right on. i am one of the ones that does not weigh myself at home. only at my surgeons office. i don't want the scale to determine my mood or eating habit for the day. please read the nsv's. non scale victories. they are what you should be basing things on. such as, energy level, fitting in clothes better, being able to move much easier, and doing something positive for yourself is such a high. lapbanders on a whole is not about great fast weight loss, its all about how, what , and how much we are eating. 4lbs to 5lbs a month is what to expect. good luck and keep a positive attitude, you are winning this battle.

losing weight on pre and post op liquids are mainly Water (it still counts) but its Water

and losing like that will not happen weekly..oh how i wish i could lose 10pounds a week....

but its not reality....i agree with the others......

understand you didnt gain weight to need wls in one week

and because you had wls, you wont lose it in one week

its a day in and day out lifestyle change

and once you have healed, and eating again, eating the better chosen foods/exercising will help the loss..

to lose actual weight, you must take in less calories than your burn off

3500 calories is a pound...ate or drank

For most surgeons the goal is for us to be satisfied with ONE cup of food for 3-4 hours (I'm there now). I've also been where you are, frustrated and discouraged. These are all emotions that we eventually work through and conquer.

As many people have said before, the first month should be focused on healing (even if there is no more pain) because your insides have taken a beating... If the scale determines your MOOD for the day, you should stay off it. Have someone hide it from you. I use the scale everyday, BUT, I don't let it "get to me" whatever the number is. I use it just out of sheer habit...

Sometimes I see the number and it doesn't even "register" in my head. What I DO use as a booster or as a warning sign is a pair of jeans.... They tell me the truth-- am I gaining or am I losing (right now they tell me I'm losing).

It is said that we should expect a loss of 1-2 pounds per WEEK.... So a total of 8 a month.... That sounds pretty darn good to me. Good luck!!!

Ps... Many times our band tells us when we've had enough or when we are nearing that point. Some people get a tinkle in their nose, others a little hiccup. I get a small involuntary sigh. I noticed it about a month an a half after surgery and I'm always aware & on the lookout for it...

You may or may not get a similar sign. When we take our time with our meals and pause between bites, not only do we appreciate and enjoy our food more, but we are more aware of our bodies and their signals.

Edited by HotButterFly

That first drop is so exciting but there is the leveling off and even sometimes a gain prior to getting fill right and adopting to new lifestyle. I lost 10 pre-op, 10 immediately post-op, then another 4-5 which I then regained. Just got that off again following my first fill. I recognize there will be ups and downs, Water weight gain and loss, etc., but I know I'm on my way to good health no matter what. You are, too!

Thanks guys :)