Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Support Badly

I know everyone says they experience needing support but I feel like have none. I'm not losing as much weight as I should be because I've been very discouraged lately. How to do you guys jump start your weight loss again? I feel like it's still very easy to over eat :( any words of encouragement would help. Thanks

I use this forum as my support group, as I don't have any hospital-affiliated support group.

I come on here every day and I always find it renews my dedication to my mission towards weight loss and better health. It's like a continually-inspiring support team on demand!

I stick with the successful bandsters and learn from their choices...what led them to success, what are their challenges, tips and strategies.

I do not read weight loss blogs of dieters whose methods are futile or whose mindsets are not like my own. This would put my own motivation at risk, as it might possibly allow me to justify some non-band compliant behaviors.

I second Parisshel! I went to a support group but everyone there was RNY so they had no idea what I was going through/dealing with and my husband was NO HELP at all. I come here for the encouragement and to see other people's day-to-day to help me stay focused.

How many CC's do you have? Do you feel any restriction? If you aren't in the green zone, try not to think of yourself as failing. If you aren't at your sweet spot then really any loss is on YOU and that's good! Until you get to that sweet spot you are depending your own will power more than anything and that's really hard! We got the surgery for a reason, right? So don't beat yourself up and be proud of what you have accomplished so far! I would LOVE to be 216 lbs again! :)

Find a group of people on here that are ACTIVE and stalk them! Go where they post, see what they reply too and heed their advice! There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on these boards that love helping people! (Me included! Feel free to add me as a friend!)

My support comes from those who believe in the band...

I can't do anything by myself...jumpstart or whatever...that's why I had this surgery in the first place....If I was filled with motivatinal sayings, self determination, etc...I would not have had this appliance, a foriegn object, wrapped around my stomach connected to a injection port via tubing....inserted in me...

So when I was getting discouraged, I would question why the band was not doing what was expected, and spoke with my Dr. about it....

I'm happy to say the band has not dissapointed me....it does, and is doing everything I was unable to do on my own...

Maybe jump start by a fill? Time to see the doc and start working with him/her, so the band can work for you! Best wishes!

Honestly, I talk to myself a lot. I am always analyzing whether or not I am in need of food or if I just want it. I will admit since finding the green zone last January I have rarely had head hunger issues.

Some good questions have been asked above already. How long can you go in between meals before feeling hungry? Also, you need to remember the band will not keep you from over eating. Do you measure out your portion sizes and keep a journal to track? If not those may be good options to see where you're at. For me I no longer journal or measure. At this point it is all habit but if I start having issues I will do it just for analysis purposes.

This is a great article on the band and an easy read.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Lots of good advice here. I also use the group as my support system especially when I am away from home. My husband and I are banded together so we are a good support for each other, however I spend most of my time at work.

It's not so easy to be here 9-10 hours a day and be mindful of what I'm eating, when I'm eating if I'm getting in enough Fluid and if I'm moving enough.

When I feel a little lost or discouraged I check out the site and people here lift me up and help keep me on track. It's not just the veterans or those who have been largely successful that are a great support for me either.

I learn from those who are new and those who are seeking WLS. Many times they have great questions, and sometimes their questions remind me that I may have forgotten the band basics and I should take a look at that in my life again and apply them.

It helps me to be interactive and to share my experience with others as they share theirs with me along with their advice, thoughts and opinions.

Ultimately just remember that everyone is entitled to their own thoughts, and opinions. Take what's offered and apply or not to what works for you and discard the rest.

There are a great many supportive and helpful people on this site, and I value all of you!

I love and agree with every word mentioned above.. i have not yet found the green zone.. so when i'm feeling down and have let the scale play mind games with me i give my self a pep talk.. everything i've lost so far as been on me. the band is a motivator but not really an enforcer yet..

i'm really trying to work on listening to my body head hunger is a real problem for me i stop at noon to eat not because i'm hungry but because well that's when i always eat.. Yesterday as i was on fluids/mushes from my fill i really paid attention. and really surprised myself the small amount of food i ate really kept me full. hoping this feeling will stay with me now. being on here is so very helpful as it's so good to know there are others that have been through the same thing and have succeeded.

hope you find your motivation i'm usually around if you need an ear.

Focus on habits. We didn't gain the weight over night we won't lose it that fast either.

Try to incorporate exercise and nutrition into your everyday activities park farther away, use the stairs, use smaller utensils or chop sticks while eating to slow yourself down. None of these things individually will magically help but the more you do them the more natural they become and they'll lead to more small changes that eventually replace older less positive habits.

We aren't perfect we'll mistakes but my motto for moderation is "less than you want but more than nothing"

First and foremost you can not get discouraged because you are not losing as fast as you would like. Everyone here is different. What took my three years to lose will take someone else a year. A loss is a loss whether it be pounds, ounces or inches. Increase your Protein and skip the carbs and fruit. Stick to that for a week and you will see results. Are you drinking enough Water? There is no exact science to the band. Are you sleeping 8 full hours every single night, are you moving your bowels regularly, are you stressed? These are all important things for good weight loss. Are you exercising at all. Even a five minute walk is better then nothing.

Hi Beautiful -- getting outdoors helps me so much, and then one foot in front of the other for enough days in a row and suddenly you are not just walking but you are a walker. Maybe some exercise will make you feel better......and don't worry about how long it may be taking to reach your goal as we are all just works in progress, one day at a time. So glad you are on the forum. It helps me to read how others are doing -- we are all in this together. Best wishes!

You have already been given some excellent advice by the former posters.

What I would like to add is that the weight loss journey is one both of mind and body. What I mean by that is learning and understanding what your relationship with food is. Like Jim said, self talk helps a lot.

"Head Hunger" is real, and recognizing it is essential to successful weight loss. There are differences between authentic hunger and head hunger. Recognizing these differences will help you to avoid overeating, and recognizing satiety.

Making a commitment to exercise and making it part of your day is also essential. I understand that not everyone has the block of time to go to the gym, but we all should have the ability to walk extra steps by parking further away from the building or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Move any way that you are able...it all adds up over time.

I use self talk to keep myself mindful of everything I put in my mouth. I stay with a structured schedule for eating and making sure to drink enough Water as much as possible.

It may help you to have an appointment with a nutritionist to look at your current eating habits and identify ways to modify them to break through your plateau.

And it is also important to not compare your rate of weight loss with others. A loss is a loss. You are unique, and your weight loss journey will also be unique to you. Look at how far you have already come instead of lamenting that you are not losing as much as others.

We all take a day at a time...and remembering that you gained weight over time, and it will take time to lose the weight is essential to keep you in good emotional health.

Best wishes for a successful journey...

Thank you everyone! I'm trying to change my habits but I feel like I fail more than not. You guys give great advice and I'm definitely going to try some of your tips. It's hard when your spouse is no help like someone mentioned and the support group here meets when I'm working. I'm going to try and log into here more often. Thanks again everyone :)

I know everyone says they experience needing support but I feel like have none. I'm not losing as much weight as I should be because I've been very discouraged lately. How to do you guys jump start your weight loss again? I feel like it's still very easy to over eat :( any words of encouragement would help. Thanks

Please come to us for support! Many of us only have online friends who understand! Even though I have family that have had lapband, I still feel the love from folks here,too! Please don't be discouraged! As other postes have said sometimes you just need to change soemthing, try to use the smaller forks, try cutting out carbs and fruits. Many ways to jump start your losses! Best wishes. Karen