Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do I Do Next In The Gym Re: Progress?

OK gym rats (Butter, Fiddle, etc.):

On all of my whole body exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, planks, lunges, squats) I'm doing 3 sets of 10 reps. Well, not the planks -- I just add time to those. On the rest, do I add more sets, or more reps?

On my weight training, I'm doing 3 sets of 12 reps (to fail), and slowly adding weight until I'm actually getting "to fail." I've added about 10 lbs to everything over the last two weeks. Do I add more sets, more reps, or keep adding weight?

Thanks!!

Edited by outwithbenjiboi

On all of my whole body exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, planks, lunges, squats) I'm doing 3 sets of 10 reps. Well, not the planks -- I just add time to those. On the rest, do I add more sets, or more reps?

On my weight training, I'm doing 3 sets of 12 reps (to fail), and slowly adding weight until I'm actually getting "to fail." I've added about 10 lbs to everything over the last two weeks. Do I add more sets, more reps, or keep adding weight?

Thanks!!

I fall into the "etc" part of that...:)

To make a difference in our size and strength, we need to add more weight. For example, when doing crossfit, we add weight until reps 6-8 are ridiculously hard (as long as form does not suffer). If you are making it to rep 12, definitely add weight until you can hardly get through #12. You will notice a huge increase in your strength alone within 2 weeks. If you want to see huge gains (in strength/size) maybe throw it in once per week, increase the weight so you can perform 6 reps and that be your failure point. Then go back to your regular workouts. Keeps the body guessing and rips the muscles a wee bit and then they can repair.

My disclaimer: (before people jump on here and jump down my throat)

any movement/exercise is better than nothing, we know this. I am basing this information based on the info you provided above, not knowing the results you wish to obtain. Lol.

Thanks!!

Of the choices you present, I would add weight. For me, I would alternate slowing down the movements to make them more difficult, as well. (Just like adding time to your planks.)

Besides adding more weights and doing more reps to your existing lifts and exercises, respectively, Consider trying some harder, perhaps more advanced, body weight exercises and see how your body does with them. For example, instead of doing air squats, try doing jumping squats or star jumps. Instead of doing push ups, try doing jack push ups or bouncy push ups. Instead of doing lunges, do jumping lunges or lunges while holding dumbbells or a plate. You get the idea. You can find more exercises like these by googling body weight workout. These suggestions will result in improvements in stamina and power. You can also increase speed to give yourself more of a workout. I think I have seen you on some running threads. Instead of steady state running, try sprinting short bursts. The sudden demands on your heart for oxygen will cause more blood and nutrients to get pumped to the muscles resulting in faster results and a truly dynamic workouts. Try to mix up the demands on your body, every day if possible, in order to burn mad calories. As others have said, it is key to pay attention to good form in order to prevent injury and not waste energy. Never just go through the motions in a work out, always challenge yourself. I know, preaching to the choir. Lol. Thanks for asking.

Edited by Fiddleman

You've been given some good advice and I agree with the general theme....you should increase intensity. Increasing the weight will improve your strength. Increasing the reps will improve your vo2 max. Increasing the sets will improve your stamina. These are general statements of course because actually you'll be increasing all 3, but more so the one than the other two.

I would warn that before attempting some advanced high intensity cross fit moves, seek out a coach or trainer to help you get your form down if you're not sure. Nothing will sidetrack your fitness routine faster than an injury.

But definitely....if things are getting easy, you should increase the difficulty level or our calorie burn will taper off as will your fitness gains. Remember, you're not just burning calories.....you're also extending your life.

Thank you so much everyone!! I'm really lucky in that I work for the Dept of Defense (as a civilian) and we have fantastic resources on base -- including two trainers, two physical therapists and a bariatric nutritionist. We have three gyms, and plenty of safe running room. Im being monitored by all of these folks on demand. And I get to work out with some very healthy folks from all of the services (we r a joint base). All free. That said, none of them has lost 120 lbs lately, and I value the advice YOU folks gave me above all. I will take it to heart. Thank you again for your kindness and willingness to help another fitness newbie stretch hiz wings!!!!

Edited by outwithbenjiboi

I couldn't agree more about the statement from "abetterme" about switching it up. Once I stop getting results, I'll switch up the TYPES of lifts or number of REP, SETS. Our muscles tend to adjust and stop responding.....kind of have to wake them up. :)