Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting Smoking Before & After Band

Just wanted to know if anyone else was or is still a smoker. I have to quit a month before surgery and after reading some of the paper work given to me from my surgeon looks like I should never smoke again. I have been a smoker for about 15 years so quitting has been rough. Through out the last six months I have tried to quit but then after week 2 I went back to smoking. Just wondering if anyone else was or is going through the same thing.

I quit about 3 years ago, this is when my weight went out of control (way before band). I used Champix (called Chantix in the USA) and LOVED it. I still miss smoking but it is an awful habit, so I will never go back. Good luck, I know it is hard! I smoked for about 20 years uggh!

i'm an a on and off smoker. for over 20yrs. i hadn't smoked for almost 11mts before the surgery and then about 3 wks ago.. life in general was well CRAZY that i relapsed.. that didn't last long i could see how much the chemicals messed with me i was retaining Water like crazy - felt like crap..

all i can say for giving up.. it's a one day at a time for the rest of your life.. least that's how it is for me. every day i wake up and decided. usually for the best..

It is most certainly the right thing to quit before surgery.. it can really mess with how you heal. and i talk from past experience :( . I know it's easy for other folks to say just quit.. it's a drug and an addictive one at that you just have to want something more than that smoke....

best of luck i hope you find something that works for you

I hate to admit this, but this forum is about honesty and helping each other. I am a current smoker - before the surgery and still today, 5 1/2 months later. I tried to quit, but my life is hectic and too many life changes at once didn't seem like a good idea at the time. I know, neither is/was smoking. However, as any smoker knows - this is a horrible habit and once you pick it up it holds on for dear life. That's neither here nor there. But to answer your question, I haven't had any adverse affects from smoking but I have cut down a lot - the desire is just not as strong as it was before the lapband.

WE have to stop smoking. It is imperative. Being a smoker, I understand that it is easier said than done...but it can be done.

Good luck and best wishes!

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I'm hoping I can stick to this but I completely agree this is a very hard habit to quit!!!! And of course I'm sure you all would agree when you are hungry sometimes smoking can curve that so I am trying very hard now before my surgery not to pick at food when all I want is to smoke. I'm going stay on this track til at least my surgery so I can heal properly and hopefully HOPEFULLY never start again!