Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my surgeon mentioned something during my seminar that RNY wasn't the best option for those who take steroids for arthritis. Well, guess who was just diagnosed with arthritis? This gal. So now I'm just trying to figure stuff out. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be on my current medication or if I'm going to be off it before I have surgery in February. I'm just so confused!

Has anyone else been told the same in regards to the meds?

RNY people can not take oral NSAIDs such as Aleve, Ibuprofen, Motrin--meds many people take for arthritis--because they can cause painful ulcers. That leaves you with fewer options for managing your arthritis pain, Your doctor may prescribe Vicodin, but that can impair your thinking or make you sleepy. I have had good luck taking Cymbalta for severe arthritis, but it's not for everyone. It's something to think seriously about because arthritis only gets worse over time.

I've had a hip replaced and am about to have a shoulder replaced as well.

So my surgeon mentioned something during my seminar that RNY wasn't the best option for those who take steroids for arthritis. Well, guess who was just diagnosed with arthritis? This gal. So now I'm just trying to figure stuff out. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be on my current medication or if I'm going to be off it before I have surgery in February. I'm just so confused! Has anyone else been told the same in regards to the meds?

One of the NSAIDs that's somewhat questionable in the bariatric community ( I'm repeating this from my surgeon not on my personal opinion or advice) is Celebrex. It's a benefits outweigh the risks kinda investigation in his practice before he would place anyone on it. Idk but RNY is wonderful there are just a few drawbacks. No NSAIDs unfortunately is the biggest. Always discuss options with your surgeon. He's there to help make the best decisions through the circumstance for your care. Good luck :)

So my surgeon mentioned something during my seminar that RNY wasn't the best option for those who take steroids for arthritis. Well, guess who was just diagnosed with arthritis? This gal. So now I'm just trying to figure stuff out. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be on my current medication or if I'm going to be off it before I have surgery in February. I'm just so confused! <br><br> Has anyone else been told the same in regards to the meds?

Shirley,

Welcome to the site!! I have had rheumatoid arthritis for about 12 years now. For the past 6 years I have been on prednisone. It was prednisone that made me get the rny surgery. I was on a high dose of 20mg a day. I have never been able to take NSAIDS. Please understand these are two different types of drugs to treat arthritis. The only restriction I was given was that I could not get the lap band surgery. I spoke at length with my rheumatologist about getting the surgery. She said I needed to reduce my pred amount before he would operate. I interview 2 surgeons before making my mind up. It came down how the surgeon was going to handle my prednisone use. The first doctor said I did not need to worry about it. Nothing would be changed pre op. The second doc said he wanted me to reduce my dosage of prednisone . So that I was only taking 5mg before the actual surgery. I went with the second doctor as it was inline with my RA doc. I did not stop my prednisone during the pre op.

What meds do they out you on, and what form of arthritis do you have?

Please do not hesitate to ask me questions . I am sure you are a little overwhelmed with all the information. Just send me a private message.

I am 17 months post op and down 125 pounds. My meds have been decreased.

Please send me a private message anytime with questions!

I have arthritis in my back and a curved spine due to mild scoliosis. I was in constant pain before my surgery. Losing weight has helped tremendously! I've lot 92 lbs! Most days I'm pain free. Even when my activities aggravate it I don't need pain relievers. I just take it easy for a few days and avoid bending or lifting till it eases. It's working for me. Definitely talk to you doctors about your concerns. There may be options for pain management that will work for you. And less weight on your frame can only improve things! :-)

I also have arthritis and the weight loss has helped tremendously. I have never taken steroids for it but was on meloxicam for years before the surgery. I am allowed to use voltaren gel but have only needed to use it a couple times. Good luck with your journey whatever decision you make.