Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me get out of the psych. office!

I have been going to visit the psycologist now since December 8th. She schedules my appointments every two to three weeks. We talk about being accountable and getting consistancy in my life. We discuss exercise and eating right. It has been helpful, but I am really wanting to get on with the surgery. She will not tell me when she will pass me through. I have tried to see if I could request another psycologist and the office said no. I feel like I am being help hostage with this woman. I need some advice on how to move forward. I had done everything she has asked me to do and I am wondering why she wont just put me through. I am trying to be successful but I am feeling frustrated that I am not moving forward. If you have any advice for me, it would sure help. My next appointment is this Friday. It has been three weeks since I have seen her last.

My advice to you....and this is only my advice...be aloof...super cool. Tell her what you know she wants to hear and get out of that office. You see the difference between Canada and the US i think is...we don't have a consultation with anyone before banding. I was self paid, but I never had to see anyone psycologically before surgery. Hmmmm now that I think of it, maybe I should have! lmbo Good Luck....break free!

POPT

Tracey

I have been going to visit the psycologist now since December 8th. She schedules my appointments every two to three weeks. We talk about being accountable and getting consistancy in my life. We discuss exercise and eating right. It has been helpful, but I am really wanting to get on with the surgery. She will not tell me when she will pass me through. I have tried to see if I could request another psycologist and the office said no. I feel like I am being help hostage with this woman. I need some advice on how to move forward. I had done everything she has asked me to do and I am wondering why she wont just put me through. I am trying to be successful but I am feeling frustrated that I am not moving forward. If you have any advice for me, it would sure help. My next appointment is this Friday. It has been three weeks since I have seen her last.

As a therapist myself, I know that the psychologist must have developed a treatment plan with goals that you BOTH establish and agree upon. Ask to see the treatment plan and goal (should be written down in your chart). If they are not (a big no-no and grounds for you to see another therapist) ask to develop them together. Then, set up your goals for treatment.

Secondly, if there are goals that you have developed together, then you must have set a time frame in which to reasonably reach those goals. Escpecially if you are doing all that is needed (as far as "home work" etc) to get the job done.

Sula

I haven't been banded (yet) and I haven't had my psych eval (yet), but I have been seeing a clinical psychologist on and off (mostly on) for six years or so - and I can't imagine her stringing me along like this. I'm sorry, but SHE sounds nuts.

Heck, I had a pretty bad case of clinical depression after several miscarriages, and my shrink got me out of it in about four months. This lady should have determined by now if you are mentally fit and prepared for lapband!

I would talk to whoever is requiring you to see her (your surgeon? your insurance company?) AND do what the lady who is the therapist before me suggests - ask her to see your plan.

I sure wouldn't just keep going along with it. but I have learned alot about using appropriate assertiveness from my psychologist!

Karen