Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Gaining Weight And Can't Get Back On Track!

Hi - I am new to this forum and need some help. Weighed 348lb in March 2007, had Lap Band surgery in Feb. 2009 and date of surgery weighed 258lb. After surgery lost another 85lb. and my lowest weight was 173lb in Jan.2013. Became ill in Jan. 2013 with pneumonia and esophagitis and to make an extremely long story short, had to have all Fluid from band removed so esophagitis would completely heal and it did. Had several endoscopies and band showed no signs of slippage and was in the right place and appeared there were no other problems. Was checked for a lot of other stomach, esophagus and band problems all negative which was great! Except for that I have gained 80 lbs. back. With no restriction in my band it was a free for all with eating and food. I forgot how great it was to eat and I have to admit I love eating and love food. I my lifetime, I am 56, I had twice lost over 100 lbs. and always gained them back and more, so when I decided to have the lap band surgery I was determined to lose the weight and keep it off, never, never gain it back. The band was great, even if the food looked and smelled great, I would just eat a little and be satisfied.

Now starting to have band refilled, have had 3, and even at last fill had a fluro fill to get a precise fill. I still feel no restriction at all and am still eating. Is it possible that once the fluid is totally removed and then gradually put back in you won't have the same restriction or results as before? I know that going back to healthy eating and lifestyle are the key, I am trying, but the band was such a tool and a help before and not now. Wondered if anyone else has experienced this type of scenario and what was your outcome? I know some who have taken what I think is a drastic measure and have had the band removed and had either bypass or sleeve surgery, but I never want to have internal organs permanently re- routed or changed. Any advice and hope would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Snoops :unsure:

boy i was reading your story and thought "that could be me". i think you really need a talk with yourself and try to remember how great you felt when you weighed your lowest. it had to feel so good. start walking and do your thinking than. at the age of 56 , same age as me, we have so many health issues we are going to face naturally that facing them thinner will be so much easier. food is just a temporary satisfaction but every pound you lose will be better and last longer than that one mouth full of cheesecake. you did it once you can do it again. i have faith. good luck and best

Reading your story, it seemed as though you answered your own question(s).....In the beginning, the band was properly adjusted, worked great, and you steadily lost weight....

Then

You experienced medical problems, had to get the band completley unfilled, therefore nothing to inhibit you from returning to the old habits, and you gained a significant amount of weight back....

Now

You are starting to get the band re-filled, to get back to that place you were in the beginning.....

Hi Snoops, sounds like the correct fill is just a little harder to get to this time around but you will get there. And it sounds like you have good medical professionals to work with you to get back on track.

I don't know if this would be helpful to you or not, but while I was waiting to get banded I started seeing a therapist. Like you I'm in my fifties so it's not like I hadn't read a lot of books about food and emotional issues, etc., but I felt like I needed that objective person to track with me for a while. I was able to identify some very specific patterns of overeating and get at those reasons I was seeking out food. I hate conference calls, for example, so prior to a call I would get myself some food to anchor me. And I used food as a reward for doing something I didn't want to do -- either as a distraction, a delaying technique or just carrot and stick. Emotional eating is difficult to break down into specifics sometimes, but it really helped me. Now if I have the impulse I take a minute to go a little deeper into why -- puts a chink into the habit so it is easier to break.

Don't beat yourself up about all that has happened. You have today -- how can you be good to yourself in ways that don't involve food and how can you get a little exercise.....we are all in this together. I'm talking g to myself right now, which is what is so great about this forum. Glad you're here!

Sorry I didn't proofread -- all those asterisks should read "chink" -- put a chink into the habit that needs to be broken. Weaken it by taking a minute, not responding. Our brains are wired a certain way but we can change that, like getting Water first or just not giving in immediately.

Okay that's a weird bug -- I give up!

<p>Hi - I am new to this forum and need some help. Weighed 348lb in March 2007, had Lap Band surgery in Feb. 2009 and date of surgery weighed 258lb. After surgery lost another 85lb. and my lowest weight was 173lb in Jan.2013. Became ill in Jan. 2013 with pneumonia and esophagitis and to make an extremely long story short, had to have all Fluid from band removed so esophagitis would completely heal and it did. Had several endoscopies and band showed no signs of slippage and was in the right place and appeared there were no other problems. Was checked for a lot of other stomach, esophagus and band problems all negative which was great! Except for that I have gained 80 lbs. back. With no restriction in my band it was a free for all with eating and food. I forgot how great it was to eat and I have to admit I love eating and love food. I my lifetime, I am 56, I had twice lost over 100 lbs. and always gained them back and more, so when I decided to have the lap band surgery I was determined to lose the weight and keep it off, never, never gain it back. The band was great, even if the food looked and smelled great, I would just eat a little and be satisfied.</p> <p> </p> <p>Now starting to have band refilled, have had 3, and even at last fill had a fluro fill to get a precise fill. I still feel no restriction at all and am still eating. Is it possible that once the fluid is totally removed and then gradually put back in you won't have the same restriction or results as before? I know that going back to healthy eating and lifestyle are the key, I am trying, but the band was such a tool and a help before and not now. Wondered if anyone else has experienced this type of scenario and what was your outcome? I know some who have taken what I think is a drastic measure and have had the band removed and had either bypass or sleeve surgery, but I never want to have internal organs permanently re- routed or changed. Any advice and hope would be greatly appreciated! Thanks</p> <p> </p> <p><span style="font-family:'comic sans ms', cursive;">Snoops :unsure: </span></p>

I had similar problems. Had my band fixed back in place but now can't seem to get the same restriction. When I have 4mls in I get into problems. They take out 0.2 mls and I can eat too much. Fed up with band but don't know what else to do.