Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wine For Improved Weight Loss

I'm getting banded on 12/5. Excited but nervous. I'm hoping it all goes as well as I'm anticipating. I'm currently on the pre op diet. Drinking Isopure Protein Shakes (yuck). Anyways, I was was watching a DVD that the doctors office gave me and it has the 8 rules for success. In the DVD they say that people who drink wine with dinner actually have greater weight loss success and they encourage wine with dinner (limited of course). Well... Yay. Lol

Does anyone enjoy wine with dinner? Are your results ok?

Someone messaged me and asked for the 8 rules so I thought I would post here in case anyone is wondering.

1. Eat 3 or less small meals per day - don't eat Breakfast if you are not hungry just drink coffee.

2. Do not eat anything between meals.

3. Eat slowly and stop when no longer hungry. - they suggest getting a small fork and taking small bites - never eating off of a regular size fork.

4. Focus on nutritious foods. about 1/2 cup mostly Protein.

5. Avoid calorie containing liquids - the only exceptions are one glass of wine per night has proven to help accelerate weight loss in their studies and you can have up to 1 pint of low fat milk per day.

6. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day.

7. Be active throughout each day.

8. Always keep in contact with them and tell them if you are getting hungry... go into their office if you are gaining to see if an adjustment is needed.

I think this may be a correlation/causation type of problem. Do people lose weight better, because they drink wine with their dinner (Causation), or does some other factor in their life (i.e. attitude) that allows them to lose weight easier, also make it more likely that they will drink wine with their meals (Correlation).

Personally, I can't stand the taste of wine, and I don't like the carbonation of beer, but I do keep a bottle of vodka in the freezer and I am really fond of scratch margaritas. But you need to be careful, alcohol is extremely high in calories

i was asked to sign a contract stating no alcohol for the first year. i don't know how my new doctor, my surgeon moved to florida, feels about it. they were partners so most likely had same rules. i don't drink anyways so it isn't a issue for me. but i would likely treat wine, like fruit juice is to a diabetic. we just stay away from it.

i was asked to sign a contract stating no alcohol for the first year. i don't know how my new doctor, my surgeon moved to florida, feels about it. they were partners so most likely had same rules. i don't drink anyways so it isn't a issue for me. but i would likely treat wine, like fruit juice is to a diabetic. we just stay away from it.

Interesting, while my surgeon made no mention of alcohol, the psychologist that conducts the monthly group meetings once told us that people who have had WLS are at higher risk of addiction, she specifically mentioned sex and alcohol. It makes sense if you think about it, most of us are addicted to food, WLS interrupts that addiction, but it doesn't deal with the root issues that caused the addictive behavior in the first place. So, many of us simply replace one addiction with another.

Or as I have heard many times on this board, the band works on the stomach, not the brain.

i think the addiction problem is with gastric bypass. ppl drink and it goes straight to the small intestine. it takes very little alcohol to get drunk. but with the lapband, we still have our stomachs and absorb things normally.

i think the addiction problem is with gastric bypass. ppl drink and it goes straight to the small intestine. it takes very little alcohol to get drunk. but with the lapband, we still have our stomachs and absorb things normally.

Well, since the psychologist was speaking to a group of banders, and was banded herself I have to believe that it wasn't specific to a particular WLS. Besides, she listed several addictive behaviors, including sex addiction, which unless you are doing it wrong, won't be affected by a particular WLS :D

Just googled it, and darned if you aren't right, RNY patients have a higher incident of alcohol abuse than banders.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/news/20121015/addiction-risk-weight-loss-surgery

i use to drink a LOT before surgery...coors light..wonder if they saw a drop in sales?

anyhow, i had some wine over thanksgiving...it didnt hurt me...just made me have a head ache..

i know lots of people who drink wine w/dinner or at night with the band..some at goal, some lost massive amounts....i think if one uses common sense (count calories if they do that), i see no issues....what works to lose weight, is eating less calories than one can burn off...wine or food or wls..

We have been going out or having people in more than usual due to the holidays, plus had a little getaway. I drank both nights on our vacation and here and there for about a week or so. Have not gained but I haven't lost either. I'm pretty sure the alcohol is stalling out my weight loss. Not worth it! I just need to remember that when some one offers me a glass. No thank you! I may need a rule for myself to take me through the season -- one night per week or something like that.

As for transference, I am very happy to be planning exercise the way I used to plan eating. Instead of wondering about stopping off somewhere for a treat or thinking about that cheese in the fridge, I find myself worrying over getting another walk in before it's dark. This amazes me.

Just googled it, and darned if you aren't right, RNY patients have a higher incident of alcohol abuse than banders.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/news/20121015/addiction-risk-weight-loss-surgery

Interesting article, Terry -- thanks.

Wow, I have never heard of the drinkng wine with dinner thingy, but heh, its your surgeon rules to follow! My only thing is that alcohol hits me quicker! I am one cheap date,now, 1/2 a meal and 1 drink! Best wishes!! :lol:

Edited by kll724