Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day Two Post Op & So Much Pain

I need someone to make me feel better about this...because I'm a worrier.

My surgeon warned me that this would probably be my worst day because swelling is at peak, etc. but I just wanted to know if there are others who experienced the same thing.

My incisions are fine, there's no sign of infection, etc...I just can't get comfortable. I'm sure some of this is weakness from not being able to drink enough, etc...but there is progress. Today I got down 2 16 oz bottles of Water and yesterday I could barely do an ounce or two an hour.

I'm so tired of being in pain....help.

You need to call your doctor in the morning and get a prescription pain med. Pain slows healing so you need to get ahead of the curve, get meds and take them on schedule. Not all of us need pain meds, but if you do, get them and take them.

Gas pain is a major problem for many. Best solutions are to walk, walk, walk and to take Gas-X. The strips give faster relief than the little gel caps, but both work. Some people say a heating pad helps soothe the tummy. You're doing okay with your Water and should be able to have more in a few days. It may be easier if you have the Water at room temp or warm.

Take good care of yourself. It will get easier!

I will confirm everything TurnThePage has said. Stay on pain meds as long as you need to every 4-6 hours. I took pain meds every 4 hours religiously to stay ahead of the pain because it is much more difficult to manage if you wait until it gets so bad. By then end of the first week I didn't need them anymore. The only cure for the gas pain is walking and passing the gas so it is out of the belly and body cavity. My gas pain lasted longer but it was localized in my back and shoulders. That lasted about 2-3 weeks. The heating pad was a lifesaver for me the first week. Just over 5 weeks out now and no pain at all.

I didn't believe it at the time, but in a few short weeks you will be feeling much better. Hang in there! :)

My first few days were awful! Do you have pain meds? Definitely take them! I am ten days out and I still need mine sometimes. I also found that childrens tylenol chewables work really well too if you don't want the narcotic pain reliever from the doc.

My surgeon warned me that this would probably be my worst day because swelling is at peak, etc. but I just wanted to know if there are others who experienced the same thing.

My incisions are fine, there's no sign of infection, etc...I just can't get comfortable. I'm sure some of this is weakness from not being able to drink enough, etc...but there is progress. Today I got down 2 16 oz bottles of Water and yesterday I could barely do an ounce or two an hour.

I hope you're feeling better today. The gas pains can be difficult and I agree....pain meds are absolutely necessary for as long as you need them. I needed them for 2 weeks. Less and less each day was necessary, but I was happy to have my liquid pain medicine. What helped me get through it all was to breath through it, reach out for support (like you have), and remember that the pain is temporary. I gave myself permission to cry, moan, and say what I wanted through the pain. It's ok to express it. I wish you a speedy recovering and look forward to hearing your success story!! Best wishes!!

Best advice is to walk and walk and walk. One thing that worked for me was the heat pad. So if I wasn't walking around I had the cheat pad laying on my belly or shoulder. Good luck!