Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I was just introduced to this web site and haven't had much time to read through the threads. But I will.

I'm scheduled to be banded on 3/20/07. Right now I'm on my pre-op diet. I've been told that I can have fish or chicken to help curb food cravings but the rest should be liquid. I'd like to hear what others have been told about the pre-op diet.

I'm really excited about getting banded. The surgery doesn't bother me (this will be my 6th surgery). The post op diet had me a bit worried until I sat down and made my own list of foods that I can have that I like. I then bought me one of those bullet mixers so I can experiment with the foods. This should be interesting! Especially with the protien powder additives.

To keep myself psyched I have been going through clothing adds pickout clothes I'd like to buy for myself in a few months.

BTW - The name I chose for on here is my Geocaching name. My friends tell me it fits me well. :paranoid

Wow Donna that is right around the corner!!! How exciting!

Yes the post op diet can be a bit trying, just try to remember how important it is...WHY it is important, and if need be when the food demons hit, and they will---we call it bandster hell---just get up, get out of the house, and do something, it will help them pass.

Preop, the basically want you to eliminate the fats from your diet, as it helps in reducing the size and flexibility of the liver, which they have to manuever around to place the band.

So hang out, tell us all about yourself, where you hail from, who is doing your surgery, how much you hope to lose---all the good details!!!

I have a friend here in NM who does the geocaching!

Look forward to getting to know you!

Kat

A bit more info: I'm 48 from Hamilton, OH. I'm looking to lose 85 pounds. My surgery will be in Dayton, OH and done by Dr. Clarey. Insurance is picking up most of the bill.

Besides my grandkids (ages 1 month, 1 year, 3 years, 3 years and 10 years) Geocaching is my favorite past time! It's fun and can be very good excersize. In the past year I have had about 450 finds. That equals lots of gas and lots more hiking. That is how I plan to get some of my walking in after surgery. Kat, Have you ever gone with your friend? It's a blast. My oldest Grandson goes with me most of the time. Also, I have a thread on our local geocaching web site about my upcoming surgery and what it took to get to this stage. I plan on keeping it going for about a year. My GC friends are pretty supportive.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi Donna---no I have never gone with him. He is one fella I don't know I should be left alone with out in the hills!!! Good Looking does not begin to cover it!!!! And I am a very happily married woman!!!

And then there is also the matter of his new GF!!!!

Kat

You are saying I know my good looking men!!!! LOL---thanks Maziemommy!!!

I was told similarly, to make sure it would go through a straw. I am just so doggone picky!!! But yes, Protein is so important as you prep for surgery and recover from it---it is excellent. Some Dr.s refuse to allow it, some won't even let them add Peanut Butter to smoothies---really strict, and I am sure they have their reasons. Mine was not that strict, just emphasized WHY it had to be liquid thin enough to go through a straw, and not any pieces.

I am going to let Donna explain the geocaching, as I have not participated---just know of it through a friend. A rough idea of it (as my limited understanding is) there is a place singled out, and then coordinates given to the "players" to find it using GPS---here they do lots of 4 wheeling to get to the places and lots of hiking.

Ok, I am off to bed. DH and I went to a musical of Urban Cowboy tonight, so I am up late....tomorrow I'll be a grump!!!

Kat

My Grandson describes Geocaching as Treasure Hunting. Not much is needed...a computer with internet, an account at Geocaching.com (it's free), a GPS and a way to get there! On GC.com you will find caching pages that list information about where someone hid a container. The container maybe as small as a pill or as large as a storage tub (some may be larger). They may give you hints on where it is, depending on how difficult is to find. Difficulty and terrain are rated on a 1-5 scale. A terrain rating of 1 means it is wheelchair accessible. I live in Ohio and there are none rated at 5 here. Those are the ones you may need climbing gear for. The containers must contain a log book so you can sign it. Larger containers will hold swag (trinkets mostly geared toward the kids). I have seen small change, flashlights, toys, candles, and lots more in them. food and weapons are not allowed. There are also places where caches can not be put. Please read the website for all do's and don'ts.

Once you are a GC member you can log on, download or manually input the coordinates into you GPS and off you go! As an example, I followed the GPS and ended up at a park that I never new existed. From there I walked the trails until I got close to where the GPS was taking me. I found a plastic container about the size of a Crystal Light container stuck in a tree that had fallen.

Caution: Once you get addicted to it you will want Travel Bugs, coins and to put out your own caches. It is way too much fun and a great way to get in your walking. Not all caches are in the woods, most of mine are in the city I live in (on poles, in cemeteries, etc).

Let me know if you try it out!

Kat, where do you live. Maybe I should come out and meet this man. Oh wait, I still have one. Give me a week! :(

I know of three couples that met because of caching!

LOL!!! I live in the NW corner of New Mexico. It is a unique area in regards to the GC. If you travel north for 30-45 minutes, you can be deep into the mountains in Colorado. Drive south the same distance, and be among cactus in the desert. We are surrounded by sandstone formations, and some awesome rock deserts. We have rock crawler contests. 4 WD vehicles with the ability to climb rocks, it is unreal! We are within 50 miles of the 4 corners...where you can sit or stand in 4 states at one time. so getting to some of the areas in each state is possible.

Have fun!!!

Kat

Kat,

My family visited NM long ago when I was only 7. I do want to come back out that way and of course cache along the way. I remember how beautiful it is. But I doubt that I could rock climb, but who knows, maybe next year! My boyfriend is into all kinds of out door sports climbing, rafting, camping, motorcycling, 4-wheeling, etc. He's always on the go.

My favorite cache was one that was on a small bridge. I went there three times and searched for about an hour each time and still could not find it. I got my boyfriend to go back with me and he found it within 5 minutes. It was a small container about the size of a fill with a magnet on one end. The owner had painted it the same color as the bolts and stuck it in an empty bolt hole. You could only find it by feeling it. That was truly and evil hide!

"My boyfriend is into all kinds of out door sports climbing, rafting, camping, motorcycling, 4-wheeling, etc. He's always on the go."

He can do all of those almost out my front door!!!! We have a friend who runs river trips on the Animas, he owns a company that builds rafts, Water bladders, all kinds of plastic welded items. We motorcycle both tour bikes, and dirt bikes, and ride ATV's. We own 2 4WD vehicles. One we use for hauling wood, and use the 4WD that way, the other is only used on highway, and into 4WD if the weather demands it.

We have access to many ancient Indian ruins, petroglyphs etc, that we ride close to and hike into, we are very careful, my DH being a tree hugger!!!

We can snow ski/board in the winter, with a really nice ski park less than 40 miles away. And we can Water ski in the summer with a huge lake less than 30 miles away. Boating is always fun---fishing if you like it in quality water. Excellent hunting around the area.

Lots to do, if he is an outdoorsman!!!

Now if you (me sometimes!!!!) like to shop while he does these things, it is possible, but less options than what he has!!!!

Kat

WOW IT SOUNDS GREAT TO BE WHERE KAT817 IS RIGHT NOW!!!!

THANKS for clearing up my vocabulary question. It sounds very fun, and active for health!! The more you want to find, the more you have to search, walk, hike etc.... right? Does it sound like "G O cashing"???? don't know if I'm pronouncing it correctly......or like... G O catching???????

Mazie,

"G O cashing" would be correct.

Kat,

I knew I was living in the wrong state! There isn't much here to do. We have lakes and rivers, but there are so many dams on the rivers you can't take a canoe very far. Cincinnati is built on 7 hills, but is covered with homes and businesses. There are some pretty awesome caves a few hours from here, if you like splunking. Most of them have regular public access too. Anything else has to be built (like amusement parks, ski slopes). Life can get pretty boring especially in the winter. I was born and rasied here, lived in 4 cities (all within a 20 mile radius). I'd move if it weren't for the grandkids. Oh yes, shopping is a premium here. Stores everywhere! I have six Wal-marts within 15 miles of my house.

thanks for the vocab/pronunc. lesson....sounds like fun and even though I'm in the beautiful "ozark mountains" of missouri it sounds like nothing compared to NM