Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. T and the Hartford Hospital Experience

now i just have to wait a bit longer. My surgery date is June 27th. a bit disappointed that I have to wait till the end of june but i have waited this long. Also it is a blessing in disguise - now i don't have to worry about the surgery interfering with my vacation.

I just had my first problem with my lap band surgery. I got sick-no fault of the lapband-and threw up. I didn't know that the lapband swells when you vomit so I couldn't even keep Water down. Dr. T, Nina, Alba and Deandra were so kind to me so anyone out there that is thinking of having Dr. T do the surgery-DO NOT HESTITATE!

donamarie

I've had my band since March 2006 and am just catching up with the board. Dr. T was only doing open back when I started looking (summer of 2005) so I had mine done at St. Francis. I've been happy with the decision ever since...just wish this procedure was available when I was much younger.

I understand your apprehension, but you'll be in the hands of experts and you'll be through it in a flash. I was apprehensive about my first fill too, but it was a piece of cake.

I try maintain a reasonable eating plan, but I'm not an angel...which is why it has taken me so long to get here. The one thing I can tell you is that I can't count the number of times I've been faced with a pile of delicious food only to be stopped by the band....and I am eternally thankful every time because I know I wouldn't have stopped but for this handy little companion.

I wish you the very best.

Ellen (who needs to update her pic because it's over 40 lbs old)

Bigsexy - CONGRATULATIONS on your approval! :clap2: And the end of June will be here before you know it!

I went to the May support group meeting - was happy to see and hear Dr. T in person. Couldnt believe the number of people there. I guess I didn't really have any idea what to expect, but wow! Anyway, hope to attend more meetings at some point, otherwise just passing the time until my initial appointment.

ctpaddler - Congratulations on your success! It's good to hear about those who have been helped by the lap band. I seem to change my mind every day about whether this is the right road for me. but I will not cancel that appointment - not when I have already waited this long!

I'm anxious to hear how you are doing. Did your surgery go as planned last week? I hope you are up and about and starting to think about full liquids by now.

Ellen

I'm anxious to hear how you are doing. Did your surgery go as planned last week? I hope you are up and about and starting to think about full liquids by now.

Ellen

Ellen i think this was directed to me so I will respond. The surgery went off w/o a hitch. Was wheeled into the room had a brief minute with dr t and then out went the lights. I did wake up however rather quickly after the general anestesia (sp) and I had intense shoulder pain immediately upon waking up. They gave me some serious pain killers and all was well.

I ended up spending more than 3 hours in the recovery room because hartford was hit with a series of thunderstorms and the patient transport elevators were down temporarily and i could not be taken to my room. I finally got to my room and met the first of many nurses I would meet during my stay. I cannot recall her name but she was sweet and caring and made sure i was comfortable. They hooked me up to an IV pain med machine that gave me metered dosages as well as on demand if the pain got too much.

Much to my suprise I really didn't need it. At shift change, I got up and walked about the unit 3 or 4 times. A less than helpful nurses aide Angie was there for the first 1/2 lap but then decided her social life was more important. Such is life she was a bitter woman that i really didnt click with.

On my last lap I felt a bit nauseous so i found my new nurse and got some meds. That night I was woken up a dozen or more times for vitals etc. it was sort of annoying but i'm sure it was necessary.

The next morning i was taken for the barrium swallow - this was disgusting but again a necessary event. The folks were really cool and let me watch the screens, showed me the band and port.

About 2 hours later my favorite nurse christina came in to get me ready for discharge. But as she gave me my last dose of pain meds i started having massive chest pains. Like someone was standing on my chest. This sent her in to a bit of a tizzy and the whole world came crashing into my room with ekg machines, cardiologists, residents. Lets just say i made a lot of friends really quickly. The thought was that I may have thrown a clot into my lung despite the pressure boots and many heparin shots. I had many different blood tests including a blood gas which if you havent had one is not that pleasant. Essentially they take the blood from an artery rather than a vein. They took it from my radial artery which is located above the radius bone in your wrist. Not an easy target but the resident got it first try. After several hours of tests including a lung ct scan with contrast ( a radioactive material than makes you feel like you are peeing yourself) all was clear but it was too late for discharge. They kept me a second night (very unconventional) but they felt it was necessary.

I was released the next morning now Friday at around 11 after a visit from Dr T. Got home and logged into work for the second half of the day. After some broth and clear protien drink I slept most of the rest of the evening and night to make up for the lack of sleep in the unit. I was able to sleep on my sides straight away so that was great. I got out and walked along the beach with my wife and son on sat and sunday. But felt pretty tired afterwards.

Today I worked from home, relaxed and walked the dog a couple times. I haven't taken the lortab since saturday and don't feel i need it anymore.

I am back on full liquids and dying for something with mouthfeel. Another couple days and I can be on mushies.

I had one incision leak a bit and called the office - they were not to terribly concerned because the amt was minimal and I will be going into the office on thursday. I have lost 10lbs since being banded and am down 37 lbs from my original weight. Things are going great and my experience at the hospital was fantastic. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I owe a debt of gratitude to Dr T and his staff.

We all wonder why we couldn't do it on our own.....its because its not our decision completely. I truly believe that genetics have a lot to do with it and not that we all ate just 'one too many hamburgers" We all know that person who eats and eats and never seems to gain weight. I am active and don't binge eat yet constantly have to watch my weight. I've gained 20 lbs since summer. I think because I've just given up and figure when I get the lapband I'll deal with it then. Its a process to get where were at. I've been transitioning to this decision for over a year.

I worked at Hartford Hospital and all the other hospitals and I agree their just about allt he same. You always have to speak up for youself. Trust Dr. T I know he's the best because I've researched him for a long time.

sharon:)

RN/MSN

It is almost one year that I had my lap band surgery with Dr. T. I have lost almots 100 lbs. and have about 40 to go. I feel fabulous. Went from a 24 to a size 14 in what feels like overnite.

However, this past September I developed ulcers and had to have all the Fluid removed from my band. It wasn't until December that I healed enough for him to start the fill process all over again.

Why I mention this is because I don't rely on the lapband entirely for my weight loss. I spent a lot of time researching how the body reacts to food, the glycemic index, metabolism, etc. Fortunatley, without the assistance from the band for those three months, I gained ZERO lbs.

In my opinion, the biggest problem we (lapbanders) experience is that there is little to no assistance post op, other than visits to Dr. T. When the scale doesn't move for a week or two, I feel lost. There's no books to assist lap band patients, there's no real support groups that don't include gastric bypass patients, and unless you want to pay your nutrionist $100 every time you cry on her shoulder, you're pretty much on your own.:faint:

I have also shared with the office that the support groups are poor (in my opinion) in their information. I have only found a few that were worth attending.

There was supposed to be a nutritional support group put together by the various nutrionists, but Nina didn't have time to support the group's organization and therefore, it went no where.

Don't know how many people are interested, but I would LOVE to start a support group for those of us that experienced lap band surgery and would like to share the secrets of success, recipes, experiences, etc.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Pen

I spoke with my nutritionist and she said it seems as though it will be some time before they are able to get a nutrional group together due to Dr. T's trying to get his Center of Excellence approved, Nina is pregnant and leaving, a new surgeon coming on, etc. They're pretty busy.

If anyone at all is interested - please let me know. Otherwise, Sharona, you and I can get together with another friend of mine who had the surgery and support one another.

Keep in touch!

I didn't think Nina was leaving for good! I know they got another APRN who was at the last support group meeting. I'm just waiting for my stuff to be presented to the insurance company. Alba said it was put together and sent "upstairs" and waiting to be sent out. So here's hoping it is soon. I just got a call today from a pulmonologist who has to see me now as I have my second sleep study on Friday night. I'll have to get c pap I'm sure. But that wont delay anything. I think support through and through is the key. This is a lifetime commitment not just a short transition. I'm getting psyched and scared at the same time. I haven't been below 200 lbs in years. That would be such a great feeling. To succeed. Really succeed.

sharon

RN/MSN

Daffodil how are you doing? I am also a nurse and I think we know just enough to be a little frightened. How much have you lost so far???

sharon;

In the initial group info session (early Jan 08) Dr. T adv they have had 2 patients die and neither were due to the weight loss surgery or complications related to the same ~ natural causes, etc. He moved to CT 7/05 and has been practicing since so that's a great rate!

Has anyone had direct contact with Dr. T's new surgeon? I was at the info session the day he started and have my f/up in early April with him. Just wondering how he was.

I go on Monday for my surgery- both my husband and I are have the surgery on the same day. I have had only good things to say about him and his staff. I don't know about the new Dr. he hired- I have only seen him. The pre-op diet is very hard!!

I have to get through Sunday!! that will be hard.

I did meet the new doctor and he is good, very detailed, looked through my chart and spent much tim with me as I was there for my preop exam.

I had my surgery on 3/12 and the surgery was fine but because I have asthma and had a hospitalization in February for bronchitis I ended up with pneumonia and then diarhea from the antibiotics and got dehydrated since I could only take in liquids. I got out on Sunday 3/16.

My only complaint is that I saw Dr. T just once while in there and felt that since I had complications he should have made a visit or been involved with some of the decision making. His team was good and nurses were great. Caution to everyone, I have been a nurse for along time and my suggestion is to NOT have surgery in JUly in any teaching hospital. For those you know still waiting to get a date pass on the information.

I see Tischler next Friday 3/28. I didn't leave with any instructions, the instruction sheet they gave me were with blanks not filled in. So I had to guess what my restrictions were i.e. weight lifting, bathing etc. And probably being a nurse helped. I also am confused with the diet. I had to go online at Tischlers website to plug in their resource page to get updated diet information. I've lost 15 lbs but that includes the weight I had lost pre surgery.

Good luck...

and welcome to the bandsters.

sharon:)