Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Is Monday And I Almost Backed Out Today

Hi, All,

I just joined the forum. I am scheduled to have lap band surgery on Monday, but almost backed out today at my preop visit. I stumbled upon some Facebook groups that had members that were very against lapband. I decided in the beginning that I didn't want to have RNY because I don't want to have parts of my stomach/intestines removed/rerouted. I have about 80 lb to lose. The before-mentioned groups strongly tried to convince me not to go through with it. They listed issues such as fibromyalgia, autoimmune problems, arthritis, etc, as complications. I don't want to fix one problem in my life, only to cause a whole slew of other problems, possibly much worse.

At my preop visit today, I wanted to bring this up with my MD, but she was in a hurry and I kind of chickened out. So, I decided, screw FB, I am heading to the web to search more positive groups.

Does anyone have any comments to my fears? I would really appreciate any/all comments.

Thanks in advance!

only you can decide what works for you

no one wls is better than the other..i dont care what anyone says..

and with wls, you get out what you put into it...any surgery does and has complications..

things sometimes happens....sometimes not...

if i didnt have surgery, i am sure i would be over 400 pounds by now......instead i am 17 months post op

and nearly 150 pounds off.....and there is many many more like me.......will you be one?

I agree with CarolinaGirl on all counts. I have also been in your shoes where I nearly backed out because of the negativity. Only you can make the decision for yourself. I was 450lbs going into surgery and I nearly backed out of it as they were rolling me into the OR. I will tell you, this is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Any and all surgeries have risks but if you follow your Doctors guidelines you can be successful.

I have never heard those preposterous stories about Lap Band causing fibro and arthritis and so on. I am willing to bet that those who had a band and developed those conditions were going to, anyway, band or no.

I am aware that there is a lot of "band hate" flying around there. I have read some of it and dismissed it as rantings of those who are either spreading and embroidering heresay or bandsters who, for whatever reason have had a bad go of it with their bands.

I prefer to get my facts from reliable sources, not Facebook hate pages.

It is good that you are researching and want to make a fully informed decidion. WLS is a huge thing, whichever one a person chooses.

My advice? Don't let the band haters scare you. Be aware that the band, like any WLS carries it's share of risk and possible complications. You have to weigh those against your expectations and willingness to follow the rules and live the band life. Remember that a lot of people hating on their bands have not followed the rules, used it the way they should. And some have legit complications.

I didn't let the haters scare me... I was banded on the 21st. I am willing to roll the dice with the band. IMO it is less risky and complication riddled than the other surgeries and was the right choice for me. :D

Whether you go forward or not, do it on the strength of your own conviction and because it is the right choice for you. A choice made after careful consideration of what is best for your body, lifestyle and health. Not because of random band haters on the Internet. :)

I have never heard those preposterous stories about Lap Band causing fibro and arthritis and so on.

LOL...agreed!! Actually my arthritic knee has not flared up in well over a year now thanks to my band and the weight loss. There was a time when I needed to walk with a Cane because it was so bad. I honestly don't know where I left my Cane. Has to be around this house somewhere.

Hi there, I was just going to say that I think my arthritis is much better -- and I'm only three weeks banded! I am so happy with my decision. Honestly I feel better than I have in a very, very long time. I'm sorry you have been confronted with negative information so close to your surgery date. It's a jittery time -- all the more so if you have been on a pre-op regime. No one can decide for you. I feel fortunate that I just knew this was right for me. If for any reason it ever isn't, I have not removed parts of my stomach -- but even this early on I love my band and wouldn't let it go! Best wishes to you......

I've never even heard these brought up before. Sounds like bandhaters. I love my band so far. I still have a few to lose, but at least I am losing it. Do whats right for you. But, if you research it, you have to learn how to filter, cuz you get good advise and bad.

Love my band and when people ask me why I just tell them I did not want to buried in a piano crate. I have only heard that arthritis gets better after weight loss. I am 9 months out and today I had my 9 month follow up and have lost 82 pounds. dietitian thought I was a RYN patient and I had to tell her I was lap band. She was surprised that I had lost so fast with the band. People who are negative are going to be negative even if you fast for 3 months. Don't go onto pages like you tube and face book looking for support. This web site is the best. I wish you luck in your stroll down Weight Loss Surgery Lane.

Hi Finsmama! My name is Karen, I'm 43 years old and have struggled with weight all my life. After must research and discussion with my surgeon, I was just banded today! I was nervous as it got closer also, but knew that this was something I had to do if I was going to lose and keep the weight off.

I was at the hospital at 5:30 am this morning and home by 10:30! I was groggy from anesthesia for a few hours, but tonight after a quiet day, I feel pretty good. My pain level was not over a 4 on a scale from 1-10 and I think that is just gas pain. Everyone is different, but I honestly didn't have must pain. I drank plenty of Water, tea, and chicken broth and took the minimum does of pain meds and did some walking. I think after a goodnight sleep, tomorrow will be as good day. I'm returning to work on Monday.

If your surgeon seemed rush, maybe ask her to take time to talk with you about any questions or concerns you have so that you are clear on the procedure, diet, and lifestyle changes.

I have been reading the post on this forum for a while trying to decide if it was something I wanted to do and be committed to. There are many helpful people telling their stories here, they didn't know it, but I enjoyed reading about them and learning about real experiences. I registered tonight because I saw your post. I hope it helped you in some way and can help you decide if it is right for you. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Best wishes, let us know how it went!

I am set to have my Lap Band on Tuesday and am scared to death and having some second thoughts. I can't let the doubt creep in. I know with Gods help I can do this!! Stay strong I am right here with you!!

I am set to have my Lap Band on Tuesday and am scared to death and having some second thoughts. I can't let the doubt creep in. I know with Gods help I can do this!! Stay strong I am right here with you!!

You can do this! :D

You will be absolutely fine. Breathe. Relax. Look at the good things that are coming your way, because they are!

I was petrified before my surgery. I had already chickened out from an RNY the year prior. told them I'm a nervous Nellie for surgeries of any kind, so the anesthesiast gave me a small pill before they brought me in to the gurney. They knew I was a flight risk even when I showed up that morning, lol!

I was out, surgery lasted about 40 minutes, I woke up, waited a little, and was headed in the car home. It was much, much, much less of an an ordeal than I had anticipated in my mind! I hope you have the same experience. You can do this and you will feel such pride after it is all done. Report back, please!!

A little over 4 years post op for me. Never, ever regretted my surgery. No band caused problems...not one in over four years. I was nervous as all get outs prior to surgery. Scared of the surgery itself. But recovery for me was easy. Knowing what I know today, I'd do it again in a heartbeat! Best wishes on whatever road you choose, but for me this was a true life changing.... literally.

Complete life changing experience for me and I've never been happier!