Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 8 And Back To Work!

I had my sleeve surgery 8 days ago, and honestly I don't even like to talk about it in here because I feel so guilty that it went so perfectly. Other people struggle with a great number of things-- pain, nausea, trouble sipping, trouble hydrating, trouble tolerating Protein etc. I've had no problems. NONE. My best friend had sleeve surgery a few months ago and had a great number of challenges AND ended up having to have hemorrhoid surgery. She's very happy my surgery went so well, but she's like, "you ate two scrambled eggs last night!?!!" She wasn't able to eat mushies for several weeks!

So the reason I decided to share my story was to let those who are pre-op know things can go very well. I don't know anything that I specifically did that helped me except for one thing. Two hours after my surgery ended I was walking the halls of the hospital with my little iv pole. Then I would go back to bed, sleep and when I woke a few hours later I'd get up and walk again. I know it helped relieve the gas pressure beneath my sternum.

I was released at 11 am. ( my surgery was at 3 pm the previous day) 17 hours after my surgery was completed. The next day I was with my partner at the grocery store for an hour and a half. (We work there so there was chatting going on). I think my energy level is good because I've kept myself moving some every day.

By day four I was cleaning and rearranging my kitchen cupboards ( not the low ones because my incisions were tender and bending was uncomfortable).

So my advise: before surgery get moving. If you aren't very active start walking some. And after surgery, walk! Get up every few hours and walk a lap around the nurses' station.

And sip. I set a timer on my phone for 15 min. And every time it went off I sipped.

So, I don't know why but I was one of the lucky ones. I hope each of you has the experience I had. If you're in the Dallas Tx area I know of a great surgeon!

On ya! My surgery was every bit as easily dealt with and the results have been wonderful. And I concur; walking from waking moment one is certainly the way to go. Like you, I was eating scrambled egg at a very early stage. Now, eight months out I can hardly believe how easily the journey to a healthily supported 38kg loss has been. Ah, you gotta love bariatric surgery' Cheers, Simon

Good advice! I'm in the Metroplex, and my surgeon's office requires us to be up and walking two hours post-op. Sure hoping my experience is as uneventful as yours!