Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Scale And My Brain...not A Good Combination

The scale has never been my friend and weight loss surgery hasn’t helped our relationship. When I diet, I tend to weigh every day, perhaps multiple times during the day (a mid-afternoon weighing will have to take into account being fully clothed and if I ate recently or if I just drank a lot of liquid). When I am not dieting, the scale sits there, neglected and collecting dust.

Since we arrived back home on Friday (five short days ago), I have probably weighed 12-13 times. Yes, that’s averaging over two times per day. This is not a healthy behavior.

Here’s what happened yesterday…I weighed in the morning and the scale said I “only” lost a half of a pound since the morning before. I think a normal person would log that and move on. Not, me and probably not many obese or formally obese people. I thought about that measly little number and wondered what was wrong with me the entire day. Why didn’t I lose more? I calculated my total weight loss. I calculated my loss since surgery. I calculated my loss since Friday. Over and over and over again all day long. Then I had a mid-afternoon weigh-in, subtracted for clothing and it was about the same and still feeling disgruntled.

Why do I do this to myself? It makes no sense. I get hung up on the numbers that the stupid scale says – I relinquish all power to that stupid scale. When you look at it in reality, there is no possible way I am not losing weight. I am only taking in about 500 calories per day. My body right now (without exercising) burns at least 2000 calories daily. There are about 3500 calories in a pound. That calorie deficit adds up quickly, especially once you add in a walk here or there or start incorporating exercise.

So why do I care so much about what that evil, bathroom-dwelling scale says? How can it have so much power over me?

We need to Celebrate our non-scale victories (NSV’s). These are those little wins you get that are not necessarily related to the scale. Just in the past couple of days, I have had some. I tightened my FitBit Flex up by one notch (this means my wrist is smaller today than it was a few weeks ago when I got it). I tried on my winter coat last night and it fit. A few weeks ago, it was uncomfortable to zip up with just a t-shirt on, so I only used the Velcro fasteners to give me more room. Last night, not only could I zip it, I could have probably worn a sweatshirt and it would have still been comfortable.

So, what am I going to do about it? I’m going to have my husband hide the scale. It will come out once per week on Thursday’s for a weekly weigh-in, then back in hiding it goes. As for my brain…I’m not sure the hubs can hide that.

Do you do this to? How often do you weigh?

Yes I do the same thing. Thinking about taking the scale to my boyfriends and leaving it there and just weighing in one or twice a week when I am over at his place...not sure yet what I will do...It definately is a mind over matter game. Looks like you are doing well with the 31 pound loss. Great job!

Thanks..I'm down 13 since surgery - and look at you with your 11 pounds lost! We are close in surgery dates.

I need to get my head straight - I think that's where the hard work is.

Take good care!

First...step away from the scale. Now, take a deep breath. Now I am going to share my deepest wisdom, gonna get all zen here. It will be what it will be....You cannot force things to change when they won't. You have had the surgery. You are working the plan worked out for you by your surgeon and NUT. That is it. That is all there is and needs to be. Your body will decide when it is ready to let go of the weight. There will be times of great loss, followed by times of nothingness. Your body is in metamorphosis and it is a stop and start journey. I too weigh every day, so I can't and won't chastise that. But remember you are new to this. I too went through a stall...I lost 13 lbs in less than two weeks post op. Then I didn't drop another pound for over two weeks. It was hard to deal with. As the days wore on my mental resolve wavered. I knew the statistics in my head, but that didn't help the feelings I was not going to succeed this time from sneaking in. But then suddenly, at about 33 days post op two things happened. I hit the 50lb mark. From the very start of my journey I have lost over 50lbs. I have never accomplished that before since I became obese. Then another fact hit me. I had dropped 4lbs on 3 days. Two more pounds the day after that! The stall has broke. How long or how much I will drop until it stalls again I do not know. But I know I am doing this. I am losing weight. I will succeed. There will be times that will test my resolve greatly, but I will get through it. My advice to you is to try to remember the same. You WILL get through this!

Thanks, Roo!

The hubs hid the scale this morning...no weighing until my official weigh-in date, Thursday, then it's being hidden again for a week.

Isn't it funny how our rational brain knows what's right, but that fat girl in our minds takes over and taunts us? It's true what they say, the doc operated on the tummy, not the brain.

Congrats to you and your success! I hope you're recovering well.