Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need To Lose 30Lbs Pre-Op

I met with surgeon today and he said I need to lose 30lbs before surgery, or 20lbs then 7 days on a liquid diet,

Protein Shakes only. Can anybody share on what it was like to be on liqued diet pre op? I dont think I could do a whole week of just liqueds with out surgery.

Thanks Paul

Majority of people have to be on liquids.... My was for two weeks but some are even longer.......... U can do it

lose 30 I dont need the liquids, or lose 20 lbs and 7 days liquid diet, Im thinking just do the liquids and get a surgery date

How much do you weigh?

368 currently

I'm just curious as to what they base that off of? I mean at what weight do they say you need to loose weight for the surgery? Do they all say that? Why do they want you to loose? It confuses me!!

If you have to lose 20lbs anyways, why not just lose the 10 remaining lbs on your own without a liquid diet? 7 days of a liquid diet sounds tough, but I know there are people who have to do it for 2 weeks, so it can be done with a little (or a lot!) of determination. If you are still really apprehensive about being able to stick to it for a week, it might be safer for you to just lose the 30lbs on your own terms. I know getting the surgery date is important, but you don't want it to be delayed if you don't stick to the diet.

My Doc said I should have a hi Protein Drink for Breakfast and lunch and the a reasonable dinner (I.e. chicken or fish size of pack of cards; vegetables and maybe a SMALL amount of carb like 1/4 to 1/2 cup rice. Urging sat 10 pm and beyond are the worst. I'm trying lower impact stuff for then: popcorn, (1 cup) or dried apples (their good and have a 'crunch' to them which I like.

I'm just curious as to what they base that off of? I mean at what weight do they say you need to loose weight for the surgery? Do they all say that? Why do they want you to loose? It confuses me!!

I don't think I could quote the doctor but it had to do with my BMI and shrinking my liver. Based on what I read here each doctor has a different set of guide lines some require a liquid diet pre op, and some don't just lose the weight.

I weigh 302 and my doctor told me to just not gain any weight before surgery.

I was 306 before surgery.... I didn't have to lose..... Just drink some Protein and low 700 calories............... I'm a week out today.... Best choice I made

Scosta78 my doc wants me down before surgery, her rationale is it takes work after surgery as surgery isn't a miracle fix but a tool, plus it makes surgery risks less

I started my liquid diet on 11/22/13 and by my weigh in date 11/26/13 I lose -12lbs. You can do it stick with it. I must be truthful, I did cheat on day one and two. However I regrouped because I realized I have done enough of that my entire life! I drink so much Water between my opifast shakes my mind is turned off of food. It's been said it takes 21 days for your body to get use to something. I believe I am conditioned to my shakes, sugar-free Jello, Popsicles, crystal light (which seems too sweet this week), and organic vegetable broth (with low sodium). You can do it! I started my journey of a better me about 5 years ago. I finished my degree, got a divorce (that's a good thing), career advancements, braces, lost 70lbs. on my own, and the cherry on the cake is my #vsg! Take these nocturnal couple of weeks to put you FIRST! See this thing through!