Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Homosexual Liberal Atheists ~ What's UP with that?

To me, you can't get much better than my tattered old version of the Betty Crocker cookbook. I love it because it gives detailed instructions, and it has explanations of commonly used terms and techniques. Plus, lots of pictures.

I really need to start my own recipe collection. I have an entire drawer at my parents' house filled with cookbooks and cut-outs of recipes. I need to sit down at the computer one day and type them all up and put them in a binder that I can eventually pass down.

I've got one of those Betty Crocker cookbooks. It's a leftover from my marriage.;) And I've got a Joy of Cooking which dates from that era, too.:clap2: Man, those books are more than 30 years old!:phanvan

Betty Crocker, the original, rocks. The later versions suck eggs. I got one of the originals when I married the first time as a shower gift. That was 40 years ago, so Green, your 30 year remark was probably conservative. I've given both my kids a B.C. original because they tell you all about the basics. Even how to boil and egg.

I inherited a couple of my mom's cookbooks, some are so old they have odd sounding names for different ingredients. Never use them but it's nice to have them with a few of her fingerprints scattered throughout.

Ok MSDad, so Ina Garten seldom has a str8 guy over for dinner. But in her defense, they always bring the flower arrangement or a side dish or something. So how dumb is she? Besides, she can have men to her house all the time without her husband (who is always in the city) getting bent.

What've you got against fag hags anyway? Sounds like extreme bias to me. Hummmph!

airwayman: That sauce you said you put on your pork is very similar to the one I make for most barbequed items. You're right! I've had to slap my grandma to hell and gone when I've used it. (The sauce even looks purty!)

I inherited a couple of my mom's cookbooks, some are so old they have odd sounding names for different ingredients.
We've got a few of those charity cookbooks (you know, the ones made by churches, Rotary, or the radiology department of the local hospital) laying around somewhere. I never use them because I am never sure about what a lot of the ingredients are. I've had to ask my mom what oleo was, for example. I'll stick with BC and the old Southern Living yearly cookbooks. I found the BEST ham, celery, onion, an brown sugar stuffed acorn squash recipe in one of those. I just can't remember which year it was, damn it!

Carlene: You MADE MARSHMALLOW from scratch? Huh? How long did that take? I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for homemade marshmallow...

And I thought I was doing well today by making my own pie crust and coconut filling and meringue. BTW, it was better than I had remembered it from years and years ago! Hated having to leave what was left of the pie at the MIL's. But as a bandster, it was a blessing. I'm sure I would have been able to figure out a way to finish it off.

BTW, how did the cake turn out? Give us a report tomorrow. The thing sounds interesting. Was it too gooey to hold up a candle? Or 87 of 'em?

laurend: A very good friend of mine spent well over a year compiling and loading all of her favorite recipes for a cookbook. She's an excellent cook and she always had so many people (and her two daughters) asking for her recipes she decided to publish a book. It was time consuming, but simple really. Once she got them photo ready on the computer, including some graphics, she had a publisher print and bind them. They turned out very well and in fact, she printed so many that she wound up selling them to the other women in our women's league or giving them as birthday gifts, etc.

If you have time, I think you'd be very glad you did it. My mom gave me a binder filled with blank cookbook pages that were all lined with space for the ingredients and directions. Most of the time when I discover a recipe that's a knockout, I manually write the recipe in that book. It is becoming a compilation of great recipes that I can easily put my hands on without having to dig through several cookbooks or old Bon Appetit magazines.

I think I will start doing that this summer. I have several recipes that I just do by memory, but every so often, I'll forget and have to think if I used two eggs or four. And of course, by that time, I've thrown out the original recipe.

airwayman, you might consider getting Carlene give you the recipe for the chocolate Marshmallow Cake so that you can prepare it and slather it all over those rough sheets. Then you could drift off to dreamland all smothered in soft, sweet bedded bliss.

It would be just my luck that in the morning all the cake would be missing and I'd have gained 5 lbs.!

Seriously, I think the general consensus was that Pima cotton, 400 thread count sheets are the best. I had always heard that Egyptian cotton was the best choice, but all I know for sure is that I have some with a satin finish that I love. They're very soft! They are relatively heavy weight though and I won't be using them for summer. You have to be very careful buying anything that boasts anything over 400 thread count. Some of the lying bastards count their threads differently than the norm and they do not turn out to be better than the 400 count ones, in fact not as good! (In spite of the price point.)

What've you got against fag hags anyway? Sounds like extreme bias to me. Hummmph!

Quite the contrary BJ! I used to have one of my own, but she lives in Atlanta now (8 hours away). :cry DH and I have had a few prospects, but still don't have one. We have lots of Lesbian friends, but they don't count as hags. That does remind me of a couple of ex-Gay jokes though:

What do you call an ex-Gay? A Yestergay!

What do you call a former Lesbian? A Hasbian! :biggrin1: ROTFLMFAO!!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :heh:

Are you saying heterosexuality is a choice? Wtf would anyone choose to be hetero?!

I wish my husband were a little more stray at times, but not metrosexual.

400ct Pima, my favorite!

Carlene: You MADE MARSHMALLOW from scratch? Huh? How long did that take? I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for homemade marshmallow...

Homemade marshmallows

Confectioner's sugar

2 tablespoons unflabored Gelatin

1/2 cup cold Water

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup light corn Syrup

1/2 cup hot Water

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 large egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla

Line bottom and sides of 13x9x2 inch pan with parchment paper. Dust the bottom with confectioner's sugar.

In bowl of standing mixer, sprinkle Gelatin over cold water and let stand.

In a heavy saucepan, cook sugar, corn syrup, hot water, and salt over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium and boil mixture until a candy thermometer reads 240 degrees. Remove from heat and pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.

Beat the mixture on high speed until white, thick, and nearly tripled in size (about 6 minutes).

In a large bowl, beat egg whites until they are stiff. Add vanilla and beat this mixture into sugar mixture until just combined.

Pour the mixture into pan and sift confectioner's sugar over the top.

Chill, uncovered, until firm (at least 3 hours, and up to 1 day).

Invert onto large cutting board and remove parchment paper. Cut into one inch cubes. Sift about 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar into a large bowl and add marshmallows in batches, tossing to coat evenly. May be kept for up to one week in an airtight container, at room temperature.

For the cake I made, I skipped the last step and simply inverted the whole pan of marshmallow onto the top of the chocolate cake, which was right out of the oven. Then you pour hot fudge frosting over the whole thing.

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/

I have to throw KC BBQ into the mix. It is amazing how regional BBQ is. The restaurant above is my personal favorite - there are no better beans! They ship around the world.

You guys all crack me up. I hadn't been to this thread in awhile so I had to catch up. Good thing I have my own office!

I do have wife! My husband cooks, cleans and stays home with the kids, can't beat that! I get to hog the remote, control the money, and demand sex whenever I want! We are definitely role-reversed most of the time - but I guess that is why it works!

We have our pre-op appointment on Friday and can't wait to join bandland. MsDad - I so hope things work out for you!

Missy

Missy: The Jack Stack barbeque site is cool. We have a friend who would love to receive something like that for his birthday in June. Do you have a recommendation for a particular meat product of theirs that is your favorite? I've always heard that the barbeque is good in K.C. Btw, if I'm not up to making my own barbeque sauce, I always buy K.C. Masterpiece.

You have a great arrangement with your DH as far as I'm concerned. I was never able to earn as much as my DH so I was the wife by default. If I could have chosen your arrangment, I definitely would have.