Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Lots Of Questions Before Surgery?! Can Anyone Help?

Hi there, I have literally just joined the forum after having read it for a month or so whilst debating whether to get the lap-band surgery. I still have a tonne of questions, which I am sure I will be sending to my surgeon when I see him in a fortnight, however it would be great to get some of your opinions if possible?

I am pretty active and have PT sessions about 2/3 times a week, how soon after the surgery can you expect to start exercising again? Does adding exercise to the lap-band experience help loose weight faster? Do you lose muscle mass with the surgery?

Failure rate? What circumstances have to occur for the band not to work at all? I have heard there is quite a high failure rate but this forum is full of great success stories. Is it a really rare occurrence for it not to work?

Finally, how often do you have fills, is it as often as you like or as prescribed or per a certain amount of time? Would be really keen to find out.

I am doing this self-funded...well taking out a loan as the medical insurance here in Dubai doesn't cover it. But I think it's going to be worth every penny.

Look forward to making some new friends here, thanks

Desertpixie x

Hello Desert,

Exercising is encouraged with any wls/wl program. The band will not prohibit you from doing any exercise. Typically docs will say to refrain from exercise 4-6 weeks after surgery to ensure a full recovery. All your energy needs to go into the healing process and you want to avoid any further irritation which can lead to complications/infection etc.

Exercise + diet is always a sure way to lose weight faster. As long as you understand the principles of how to optimize fat loss through exercise and diet that is. Also, body measurements will be an equally important number to track in addition to the scale because as you build muscle the scale may not reflect actual fat loss. The band itself does nothing for the speed of loss. It's a matter of how compliant you are, how responsive you are to the band and how soon you can get to green and feel restriction. I never focus on losing fast, it's a sure way to self disappoint. Rather, expect the standard 8lb/month loss which are typical results with any healthy wl program. The difference with the band, opposed to dieting, is that you'll be able to lose long term and later on maintain with ease.

Fills are typically every 4-6 weeks depending on the doc. Some fill centers are every 2 weeks. Everyone is different here, but I was able to get to green around 5 months postop.

Complications. They are low. Some are patient induced (ie noncompliance) some are their bodies rejecting the band. But all together the rates are low. Each wls has their risks and it's a matter of weighing which risks you feel you can manage and having a back up plan if those complications were ever realized.

Hazel thankyou for your reply, that was really helpful. By getting to green, what do you mean by this? I think you hit the nail on the head with exactly why I want to do this, it's for the long term achievements and being able to maintain it. I work my butt off in the gym and it would be absolutely brilliant to have a toned body to reflect it. I don't know what it is but I just cant seem to shift any of this weight. I am going to get a blood test done to make sure it's not hypothyroidism, as I have lower blood pressure and blood sugars, plus I think my metabolism is shot after the liquid only diet I did.

As for a back up plan, I think I need to speak to the surgeon about this in more detail. I think with 20-25kg to lose, I need something that is not just going to help me lose the weight but also maintain it, it's the maintenance of the weight loss I am most keen to achieve. I want something that is going to last and I know it's down to ensuring I dont over eat and don't eat poor quality food however to have a tool in place to ensure I stay on track would be brilliant.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

Green = where your band is at maximum effectiveness and you don't need more fills/un-fills.

A great article about the Green Zone!

http://www.bandedliving.com/public/Lap_Band_Fills__The_Green_Zone.cfm

Thank you so much Erin, that's really helpful! :)

No problem!!! It's a good tool to have!

Hi there, I'm three weeks post-op tomorrow and have exercised every day in the form of walking. Cardio all good but looking forward to strength training in another three weeks. Incisions are nothing but not taking any chances, just following the doctors' protocol. I'm pretty sure exercise is the secret to success. No muscle mass loss with this surgery to answer. Cannot speak to other questions as I'm so new. My first fill is scheduled for 12/4 but I may not need a fill as I've had no return of hunger as yet. I think this is a very individualized surgery and every one is so different -- but a positive attitude and sense of humor combined with the will you already have.....beautiful formula.