Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychological Evaluation Done

I've finally got my Psych Eval done today after of looking for a therepist for two months. I did have to pay out of pocket for the session and the report fee, but I'm just glad that this goal has been met. It just sucks that next week is a holiday week and I don't know how long until my sergeons office will take to build my case file and send it off to Anthem BC/BS.

Anyone have any idea on how long it takes for Anthem BC/BS to get approval? This is offically my first post, and I know its not my story, but I'm just excited to finally get this step done and waiting on Insurance approval........ROCK ON!!!

Congratulations. You are a bit further than I am. I have got to make my psyche appointment. I will try to get to that next week. What should I expect? I feel funny having to go for a psyche evaluation. I'm not crazy...I'm just fat. I love to cook, I love to eat and I self medicate with food rather than drugs or alcohol. Do they ever find people psychologically unfit to have weight loss surgery? I have stressed more over this part than the surgery itself. LOL I have BCBS as well but mine is the Federal plan. I am currently on my 3 month medically supervised diet. I have been told that BCBS generally sends the approval back within 2 weeks if all of the requirements have been met but since I have not gotten that far, I can't say it with any authority.

Congratulations. You are a bit further than I am. I have got to make my psyche appointment. I will try to get to that next week. What should I expect? I feel funny having to go for a psyche evaluation. I'm not crazy...I'm just fat. I love to cook, I love to eat and I self medicate with food rather than drugs or alcohol. Do they ever find people psychologically unfit to have weight loss surgery? I have stressed more over this part than the surgery itself. LOL I have BCBS as well but mine is the Federal plan. I am currently on my 3 month medically supervised diet. I have been told that BCBS generally sends the approval back within 2 weeks if all of the requirements have been met but since I have not gotten that far, I can't say it with any authority.

Umm... You don't have to be "crazy" to see a psych or therapist. I found that your statement rubbed me wrong. People see them for numerous reasons and I don't think that people who have bipolar disorder, PTSD, food addiction, drug or alcohol addiction, etc are crazy.

The psych evaluation is mainly to see if you have unrealistic expectations after surgery. To see if you think weightloss surgery is a "fix-all" in your life. To make certain you are knowledgable about the surgery, etc.

he mainly asked me about my family history, eating habits, how educated I was about the process and my support group. Mine only lasted for about an hour and some change, but I found his final thoughts interesting. I cam in scared that he would refuse to endorse my referral and then that was the end of my WLS journey. Someone I was projecting that thought and he came out and asked me if I was worried that he wouldn't endorse it. I though, WOW, didn't think he would know that. All and all, he said that he would endorse my procedure and recommend that BCBS approve me for WSL. He did ask to see me in one month as a follow up for other reasons that he feels would help me in the long run. I made an appointment and see him in Dec.

I was like you, my psych appointment was the one think I was most worried about, but I feel much better. I believe that you will pass this hurdle and move onto the next like me. Best of Luck!!!

Thanks Border for understanding. I guess it is a fear of the unknown when it comes to that particular doctor visit as well as having to pay someone to judge us for any psychological fitness. Know what I mean? It's already difficult when people are judging us for weight gain and then this, it's just another difficult appointment that I have dreaded. I will be calling Monday to make my appointment but now I think I will have a little more confidence when I go. Good luck Border.

Umm... You don't have to be "crazy" to see a psych or therapist. I found that your statement rubbed me wrong. People see them for numerous reasons and I don't think that people who have bipolar disorder, PTSD, food addiction, drug or alcohol addiction, etc are crazy.

The psych evaluation is mainly to see if you have unrealistic expectations after surgery. To see if you think weightloss surgery is a "fix-all" in your life. To make certain you are knowledgable about the surgery, etc.

Thanks for the Political Correctness Check SuperFatty, I was not making a judgment about anybody else, only about myself. I was referring to my food issues and have never ever made a comment or judged somebody else's psychological disorders. With this being about weight and weight loss challenges I thought I was safe. Thanks for the info, I'll know now to let the Dr know that after 8 years of research I have very realistic expectations of what this surgery can do.

One thing I've learned about online blogs is some statements care easily be taken out of context real quick. I try to not take offense too quick while reading online posts/blogs. But I always do say, "Consider the source". Meaning, think about the person you are getting your information from. Then make your opinion.

food for thought.

Hey Borders3-
Congratulations, I see you had your surgery! I hope all went well and your finding your recovery period incident free.

I just did my Psych Evaluation also (passed!) but I paid out of pocket the $200. Did you have any luck recouping any part of your fee from Anthem BC/BS? I'm also in their CA PPO and the Shrink I had was an "in-network" doc.

I'm sure you have your hands full right now adjusting to being post-op, but if you have a moment I'd be very happy to know. Both me and my wife plan on undergoing the procedure concurrently so every expense is double for us.

Again, I hope all went well.

I've finally got my Psych Eval done today after of looking for a therepist for two months. I did have to pay out of pocket for the session and the report fee, but I'm just glad that this goal has been met. It just sucks that next week is a holiday week and I don't know how long until my sergeons office will take to build my case file and send it off to Anthem BC/BS.

Anyone have any idea on how long it takes for Anthem BC/BS to get approval? This is offically my first post, and I know its not my story, but I'm just excited to finally get this step done and waiting on Insurance approval........ROCK ON!!!