Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Just Cant Stop Smoking!

You should quit before any surgery but I guess it depends on how your surgeon feels. You want to set yourself up for as much chance to succeed without complications as possible. Whats more important to you healing right or that two minutes with a cig? It won't be easy but it really is better in the long haul.

Ladies, I smoked for 12 years. Was up to almost two packs a day in my prime. One day I went into a convenient store to buy a pack and I had to pay with nothing but quarters and dimes because that was all I had. I came out feeling ashamed almost like I had a drug addiction and needed just one more hit regardless of the price I was paying both monetarily and physically. I stopped cold turkey right then and there. Gave the pack to someone else and moved on. It was a huge struggle for a couple of months but I've been smoke free for five years. You can quit, it's mind over matter. I ask one question of you though, if I'm reading right you are all quitting because you are getting WLS, not that you've had it already, so, if you "just can't quit smoking," what makes you think giving up a food addiction is going to be any easier? Just because you have WLS doesn't mean a food addiction goes away. I would strongly consider the strength and your power to over come smoking as an indication to how you will survive such a drastic change as WLS. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but if you can't quit smoking maybe its time to reevaluate your surgery and its potential for success and failure. I know you can quit smoking though. I'm a testimonial and so are thousands of other people. Good luck to you all on being a quitter!!!

I started at 15 years old and I'm 35 now so 20 years!! Wow I thought it was less... I quit when I found out I was Prego with my son 11 years ago and started up again after he was born. Then quit a year before I had my daughter 4 years ago and started up when she was 2 and have been smoking for 2 years again. I'm done with it. I won't have anything else run my life ever again!

Well..... I was kinda set on the band but after hearing all the bad talk I'm rethinking this.. I like the band cause it's adjustable, removable, manageable and it's an outpatient procedure.

But now after hearing all sides of the spectrum I keep thinking. Am I effin crazy for wanting to do this at all?!?!

It's SO worth it! Only you and your doctor can decide which procedure is best for you. I close RNY because of the short term results and long term success rate. I also wanted the deterrent of 'dumping syndrome'. My surgery was May 30. I had no complications, very little pain, and a very easy recovery. I follow my program to a 'T'. As of today I'm down 90lbs. I'm in a sz12, rapidly approaching a sz10 and in a medium top. My cholesterol is back to normal and my back, knee and foot pain is gone. I've stopped snoring and, since I've given up caffeine, I find I can sleep through the night without meds for the first time in thirty years. My energy levels are through the roof! I am living my life and enjoying it!

Fully research all your options and discuss the pros and cons of each with your doctor. Choose what I best for you. Good luck with your journey! :-)

Every weight loss surgery center might be different but the one I am using said they won't operate on anyone who doesn't test nicotine free for six months. Smoking can seriously interfere with healing. I know a man who ended up having a leg amputated after a bad auto accident because he wouldn't stop smoking when he wasn't healing properly.

My husband quit smoking in 2003 - he still chews the gum though. Of course, if the center is going to test for nicotine the gum or patch won't help. One of best friends was a very heavy smoker for over 20 years and the highest dose of Zyban helped her quit.

Do you have to quit when you do surgery? I smoke... Will they make me quit? I know I need to but if they are going to insist, I need to know ahead of time so I can prepare.....

Make sure you know where your surgeon stands and/or the center its self. The Obesity Treatment Center I am going to said at orientation all patients must be nicotine free for six months prior to surgery.

You should quit before any surgery but I guess it depends on how your surgeon feels. You want to set yourself up for as much chance to succeed without complications as possible. Whats more important to you healing right or that two minutes with a cig? It won't be easy but it really is better in the long haul.

I started at 15 years old and I'm 35 now so 20 years!! Wow I thought it was less... I quit when I found out I was Prego with my son 11 years ago and started up again after he was born. Then quit a year before I had my daughter 4 years ago and started up when she was 2 and have been smoking for 2 years again. I'm done with it. I won't have anything else run my life ever again!

Well great because my e cig has nicotine in it..... It's like the patch where it tapers off...... And here I thought I was doing good...

Well great because my e cig has nicotine in it..... It's like the patch where it tapers off...... And here I thought I was doing good...

My ecig has nicotine in it, I believe if you speak to your surgeon and bring the ecig in to show that's why you have nicotine in your blood they should excuse you, or at least give u orders to stop them before surgery... When I see my doc I'm going to tell her I have been having trouble stopping by I am trying with my ecig, my Patches and my Zyban so she will understand the effort I making I still have time before surgery so I am making progress.

Your welcome! Just keep thinking, "these lil fuckers are bullshit!! You don't run me!" Lol!!! Kinda helps.. :)

Yes they are evil lil f*ckers lol... Hey I bought this book Alan carr - quit smoking the easy way and watch some of his videos on YouTube, they helped a bit, not yet done with the book though... Hope it works! Praying!!!!!

So how is the book working for you? I was amazed how easy it was to kick my nicotine habit. I had a harder time with caffeine. Never thought I could ever stop chewing but going on 5 weeks with no issues. Good luck you can do this.

Wow if I would have waited another minute you would have answered my question. Lol.

Really give the book a try. It really does work

I got an ulcer from smoking after surgery...I bled out and needed 4 units of blood.Still, I sneak a cig every 4 weeks or so. It's the hardest addiction to kick by far. My doc did no nicotine test before surgery . I was on the e cig before surgery, then I gradually used both, then I just smoked. I was a non smoker for 12 years until I took some puffs off a cigarillo on a dare...I was smoking again in three days. It's the worst!

Your welcome! Just keep thinking, "these lil fuckers are bullshit!! You don't run me!" Lol!!! Kinda helps.. :)

Yes they are evil lil f*ckers lol... Hey I bought this book Alan carr - quit smoking the easy way and watch some of his videos on YouTube, they helped a bit, not yet done with the book though... Hope it works! Praying!!!!!

So how is the book working for you? I was amazed how easy it was to kick my nicotine habit. I had a harder time with caffeine. Never thought I could ever stop chewing but going on 5 weeks with no issues. Good luck you can do this.
The book is good has some great techniques to think of to stop but when there's someone else in the house that smokes, it is hard! I can smell my fiancé and the smoke from outside and it's just soooooo tempting... It's worse after meals it's all I think about. I've been trying to keep myself busy so I don't fall in... I don't want my nasty habit to create more of a problem for me during or after surgery so I am really trying for my best interest in my health... Everyday it gets better hopefully in a week or so I won't want anything!!!!

You seem determined so I'm sure you will beat this addiction. Good luck.

You seem determined so I'm sure you will beat this addiction. Good luck.

Yes I am trying my best, thanks for your support!

I been a couple days smoke free, I know sounds like nothing but to me it's baby steps to quitting considering I have not been a day without smoking in 10 years so I'm kinda happy I made that first step to living healthier and having more money in my pocket lol