Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded in Williamsburg

Zannie, Hi. I've been reading your posts and see that you used the same dr. I am using. How are you doing now? Are you still happy with your choice and/or the results? Do you still go to the support meetings? What was they psych evaluation all about?

I know that's alot of questions, but sure could use some reassurance.

P.S. I wrote this post before I saw your last post. I didn't realize how old the post was that I originally was responding too but I hope you are back to stay on the boards. For some reason your posts stick out to me and have been giving me inspiration.

Who are you asking, Carla? Who is your doctor?

I have been doing pretty good:) I don't regret my decision at all. The Psyc eval., in my opinion, was just to make sure you understand the procedure, the risks, what you perception is of it (do you have realistic expectations).....really, it was just no big deal :wink_smile:

Diane, My doctor is Terracina (sp) at the WLSC. I've already done the computer test and see the counselor on Monday. The office said since I am self pay, once they get the all clear from the counselor (it takes about a week), it will just be a matter of a phone call to set the date.

How was your experience with WLSC? My primary doctor really seems to approve.

Do you have any idea since I am self pay if the hospital part would be any cheaper if my doctor did the lab work and such that my insurance would cover or is it a package price?

Hi Carla -- I have Dr T as well. He is fantastic. The Psych valuation is to make sure you don't have issues that would prevent you from succeeding and you understand the committment you are getting into.

I am extremely happy - I too stalled 10/22ish at 96 lbs lost -that was my best (held 1 day only)and enjoyed the holidays way too much ended back at only 88 lbs total lost -- but I have been on track for a little while now (1/17)- and down 104 lbs total (2/15).

For me - to remain stable and on track with losing -- these are the rules I MUST follow - or else it doesn't happen.

1. Drink 96 oz that day

2. Only 3 eating times - no Snacks, no one bites of this or that.

3. Eat no more than 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup at sitting.

4. Get my minimum of 60 gr of Protein.

If I miss even one :crying:of these goals -- the scale will say up .2 to 1.2:thumbdown:. Depending on which one and if multiple goals stated above not met the more I gain:embaressed_smile:.

With all that said -- It was absolutely the BEST thing I could have done for myself -- and would have done it all over again but sooner if I would have the chance to re-live my life.

Even if I was not to lose another lbs from what I have -- all very worth it.

I truly want to lose 70 lbs more. Wish me luck.:wink_smile:

Gina,

Since you are self pay maybe you can answer my questions. Did you stay overnight? Is that included in the price you pay? Would it save me any money to have my primary doctor order the pre-op tests so my insurance will cover those or is the price they give you a package deal?

I told my primary doctor that I felt like doing this was a failure but he told me that winners make plans and goals and follow through. He said I am a winner because I have set my goal and I am going for it. He said failures/losers make a plan and don't follow through.

I know this is a really big step and I am definitely scared, but I feel like I can do it. I obviously overeat (at times, but not all the time), but I also have health issues that cause me to hold weight (thyroid, hysterectomy, taking hormones, etc). I don't feel like food rules my life but the extra weight I'm carrying around does and I'm tired of it.

I want to feel better, look better and be able to wear stylish clothes. I don't know why designers think that all overweight women are matronly. It's so hard to find nice clothes that fit (it doesn't help that I am short either).

Gina, I can't even imagine that losing 104 lbs. could be a possibility! It is so wonderful that you have done that and are now moving down again. I really do wish you luck and hope that we can keep in touch. I am definitely going to need some support and I hope I will be able to return the favor to others.

Carla

Well hello ladies, I got you all beat, Dr. T was my doctor AND I was his first lapband patient :angry:

It's all good.

Gina so good to see you on here, and Ms Diane.........I got a buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, and a new tan :eek: It's 77 here, awesome, finally some decent weather here. I'll be at the pool at 9:00 in the am.

OK OK OK I know in 10 days you'll be in Mexico :wink2: :wink_smile:

OK Carla, I had another post, it wasn't very nice about your PCP, so I guess it got lost.

I love my band, self pay and all, the best thing I ever did for me, beside the TT and the boob job :wink_smile:

:embaressed_smile:Carla, my computer screen must have been set so that I missed the "Zannie, Hi.."part Sorry!:wink2:

And Pat, it's 13 days, but who's counting? OH YEAH,MEEEEEEEEEEE!:wink_smile:

How's it going Gina :angry:

Gina,

Since you are self pay maybe you can answer my questions. Did you stay overnight? Is that included in the price you pay? Would it save me any money to have my primary doctor order the pre-op tests so my insurance will cover those or is the price they give you a package deal?

No I did not stay overnight - but if I would have needed to - it was included. I got there at 7am for 9am surgery and was released by 1pm. My insurance did cover the pre-op testing - not part of the package deal.

I told my primary doctor that I felt like doing this was a failure but he told me that winners make plans and goals and follow through. He said I am a winner because I have set my goal and I am going for it. He said failures/losers make a plan and don't follow through.

You are not a failure -- this is not a cure all or the easy way out by any means. It is a lifestyle change TOOL. Your doctor is right - you are a winner. Now let's get you through this one day at a time - I (and many others) are and will be right here with you every step of the way!

I know this is a really big step and I am definitely scared, but I feel like I can do it. I obviously overeat (at times, but not all the time), but I also have health issues that cause me to hold weight (thyroid, hysterectomy, taking hormones, etc). I don't feel like food rules my life but the extra weight I'm carrying around does and I'm tired of it.

I want to feel better, look better and be able to wear stylish clothes. I don't know why designers think that all overweight women are matronly. It's so hard to find nice clothes that fit (it doesn't help that I am short either).

You have every right to be scared and if you decide to do this -- the closer the day comes the more scared you will get until you wake up after surgery and all is good and you feel you just climbed the tallest mountain and the rest is down hill. It gave me hope that I can finally be able to lose weight and reach my goal -- my dream -- get control of my life back -- be here for my family long-term. The look better and being able to wear great clothes is just the whipped cream and cherry on top!:wink_smile:

Gina, I can't even imagine that losing 104 lbs. could be a possibility! It is so wonderful that you have done that and are now moving down again. I really do wish you luck and hope that we can keep in touch. I am definitely going to need some support and I hope I will be able to return the favor to others.

Carla

It is amazing to me and my family. My goal listed below was based on just getting to 199 --but since I have adjusted my mindset to reach 170. So that just shows you -- in the begining I thought getting below 200 would be a reach -- now that seems attainable and 170 would be my "normal weight" per all the charts and standards. Never Never would have thought that I could attain that in my life. I was accepting that I would never be normal weight or thin --just didn't want to be SO overweight and gaining...

YOU CAN DO IT! WE ARE HERE! So go get the pre-tests done and pay the money. (It's tax deductable - and a small price to add years to your life and maintain good health!

Love ya! Hugs and Kisses :wink2:

Diane - I am good. Getting over the sickness going around. How about you?

HarleyNana -- where are you??? vacation? Tomorrow is suppose to be warmer again.

:wink_smile: Have fun where ever you are tonight!

Wow! Everybodies stories inspire me.

Signgirl: I added the Zannie after I sent my post. I love to hear from anyone. I just saw her post that she used the same doctor.

Harleynana: I don't know what you said about my PCP but I'm guessing it was something about the loser part. I know it probably didn't sound very good, but the way he put it was much more eloquent and was very inspiring. He just didn't want me to feel like I was a failure because I have not been successful with my weight loss up to this point. He really is a good guy and is very supportive of my decision and willing to help any way he can.

I'm jealous that you all are so far ahead of me. I am so anxious to get all this done and go. I've been lurking on this board for months and finally my husband agreed that this is what we should do. He felt like I should try other things first (even though he's seen me lose and then gain right back numerous times) until he saw Dr. Clark on the Sentara program a couple of weeks ago. I absolutely couldn't make the commitment without his support (especially since I am self pay).

Gina: So far the only pretesting I will have to have is the blood work. Is that not covered in the hospital part either? My doctor said to get a list of what needs to be done and he will do it through my insurance. We thought it might save me a little bit if it is part of the hospital price.

Carla

They will do EKG ( I think that is the right term) as well as the blood work. I got the bill for reading the EKG and such --

The office is very willing to answer all questions - and Dr T took all the time I needed to answer all my questions and discuss all my concerns.

Take advantage of this -- get that answered straight from them -- they are so nice and understand the cost issue completely!

:wink_smile:

WOW, Gina, you look awesome. I know you're so proud of yourself!

What a transformation 100 lbs makes :tongue2:.

My hubby gave me a wonderful compliment the other night, the commercial for LB came on, the one with the tiger, and he told me that company should use me in their commercial, LOL.

Hi Girls! I too live in Virginia and have Dr. T. I am at the very beginning stages. I did my test and my psych eval last week, which I'm quite nervous about the results. I'm not crazy, I just thought some of the questions were very dumb. Tons of relisious questions. It was weird. I'm not an athiest, I certainly believe in God, but don't feel like it's a part of my every day decisions. I had to answer NO to a lot of those deep religious beliefs questions. I asked the shrink at the eval what that had to do with the surgery. Anyway, I'm afraid that may affect their decision. I'm waiting for that approval to come back before proceeding.

Harleynana: I've been reading quite a few of your posts. I'm amazed at your success! It's wonderful.

Carla: Who is your PCP. Mine is pretty stupid. I had a great one, and he moved to NC. The guy that took his place is such a big dork. I asked him about lapband, and he said I wasn't big enough and didn't need it. I'm really on the hunt for a new Dr. I asthma, high cholesterol, plantar fasciatis, and weigh almost 250. How does he think I'm not big enough. Anyway, I don't need a referral from him for my insurance, but I'm sure an approval would not hurt. I'm not sure if he'll give it. I'm just going to submit my paperwork without it and hope for the best. I have BCBS.

GR8: You look amazing! I'm so excited to get started. But very scared too. :tongue2:

It would be great if I could join your VA group. There are tons of questions that I have. BTW: I live in Chesapeake!