Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded in Williamsburg

Heather -- the proper word and spelling is fluoroscopy.

I recommend that all fills be done under fluoroscopy by the originating surgeon. It is a live xray to see: a: Port for injection b: proper fill amount to have just the right amount of liquid to exit the pouch to the stomach. c: To ensure the band position is correct and pouch has not be dilated (swollen from overfilling with food - or stretching).

Hope I explained this clearly for you.

Gina

GINA I agree in theory, but from my experience and from others, some doctors don't do fills. I heard my surgeon does not do them on a regular basis. The NP is very nice and has many band and gp certificates or some accredidations working with weight loss. She does 90% of the fills, and to be honest on one visit with the doc I was afraid it would be him doing my second fill, and they asked if I would see the NP becuase the doc was way behind. I was releaved? I think it is more imporant to know what training the person has and how many have they done. But that is me. I am not an expert, only 2 fills!!!

Hope all is well in Hampton Rds, wish I was there!!

I actually copied and pasted the "fills be done under fluoroscopy by the originating surgeon" part of the statement.

I like that my doctor does mine - because I get to talk about any and all issues with him - he keeps notes and knows me best -- He remembers the day of surgery - he has pictures he took during surgery and explains to me in depth even referencing the picture or what happened during the placement. My Preference - by truly - I never knew NP's did them until reading this past week on LBT.

MY BIGGEST POINT is having them done using xray technology. Secondly I would want to be sure my doctor gives the numbing shot. Mine does.

I have read what seen to be horror stories - of poked multiple to 10x and laying on table and having to do tummy crunches for the doctor to insert needle, (and sometimes still can't get it and sent them to hospital and waited there additional 3 hours for the doctor to show and one asked for the numbing shot when she went for 2nd fill or so - and he was rude and refused.

Just my opinion - and when I was shopping and making the committment I had no clue that these issues were out there - I just got lucky I guess and thank my lucky stars everytime I see him.

But I agree - Janine a qualified person - whether it doc or NP B)

Gina,

I am not sure you recall my first fill. It was in the hospital under flouro. she did not even use the flouro to stick me to do the fill, only after to see the bariam go down. I was upset because she did stick the needle in and have to move it around until she was able to get to the port. that worried me and made me feel dizzy and faint. Mainly out of worry, not hurt. I asked her why she did it that way, that I thought the reason for using the flouro was to locate the port. she said she did not need it? But then the second I layed down on the table, mainly due to my dizzy deal. But it went 100% smoother. I was worried I would have to push up my stomach like a crunch, etc, because they say when you lay down the port goes down in ward and it is harder to feel. It goes to show it is even different per person there.

I do agree seeing the doctor makes you feel he is in the loop and following up with your progress. I have yet to see my doc in three months, and that does concern me some.

Have a great day!

I just saw this post Heather -- you might find it interesting. Everyone is different - and Doctors procedures are different as well.

Copy/Pasted:

Had my 2nd fill today.. now at 5cc. The doctor who did my fill however didn't know what the hell she was doing. I asked for numbing medication and she said "you should've asked me that before we came to xray, it's in the other building". So there she goes poking and proding and she hits a vein.. so blood shoots everywhere, I'm crying like a baby because of the pain. It was awful. Finally they page my surgeon and he brings me the numb stuff thank god.. and after that smooth sailing.

Now, I feel so much restriction, which is a good thing... but I get mad hiccups when i eat.. anyone else get that?

weight.png

Banded May 9th, 2007 by Dr. Bruce Shirmer

U.Va Medical Center

1st fill - June 7th, 2007 ~ 2 cc

angel.gif a-MAY-zing BANDSTER angel.gif

Hello all. I'm new to posting but not new to this board. Been lurking for over 8 months now. I had to do the 6 months with my PCP and have just finished all the requirements.

I'm in Williamsburg and will hopefully be doing my surgery with the Weight Loss Surgery Center in Hampton Roads. Dr. Terricina. Just waiting for the approval from the insurance company.

Signgirl - I wanted to ask you how long it took for their office to submit to your insurance company once you have given them all the information?

Just wanted to say Hi to all the Va people and I really hope to be joining all this soon.

Donna

Welcome Donna!

From my experience they do submit in a very timely fashion - some insurance companies require certified mail -- so that does take a little longer than regular mail.

YOU WILL BE EXTREMELY Happy with DR T. I am. Don't be scared to ask any and all questions of him -- I did and he took all the time I needed to answer.

Best wishes!

Gina

Thanks for the info Gina. I've learned a lot from you! How does it feel to have lost almost 90lbs in 4.5 months!? That is just wonderful. I can't wait to join all this. I went to the seminar with Dr. Clark but then through more research I decided I wanted Terracina. Dr. Clark even said at the seminar that he was the expert in the bypass and Terracina did the lap bands. So, I actually haven't met Dr. Terracina yet. Looking forward to it though.

Donna

Oh I wish the band worked that fast for me!

Readers Digest version of this story -- goes like this.

I did my research for bypass surgery and decided that is what I wanted to do - but scared I couldn't (no diet soda and such OMG!) - so early Sept 06 (@339lbs) I started eating as if I had surgery (including no soda's) - did my seminar - read books and online. By Thanksgiving (310 lbs) I was convinced - I can do this - but due to self pay knew it would be after February - so I drank my diet soda's in limits - still watched what I ate but no stressing if I goofed - especially due to the holidays - Thanksgiving - Christmas - New Year's - Superbowl (LOL). March 1st I went back to Consult with Dr T (@ 310lbs)- and asked if I qualified for LapBand due to my size - he said absolutely! So I made the surgery date 4/9 - and went back to my mentality of eatting as I have had the surgery (last ditch to be sure I can do this.) Lost 10 more lbs. Started my optional preop diet - lost another 7 lbs (293 lbs.)

Since surgery lost 41lbs in 22 weeks (5 mo's)!!!! Slow and steady - that is what they want -- and boy oh boy am I doing that.

Thanks for the compliment! Just wanted to set the record so no one has unreal expectations!

Hugs!!!! and Best of Luck!

Hi Donna, the WLSC had submitted to the insurance co. for me, and in less than a week I learned that I had been approved! I had asked if one of the doctors "specialized" in one proceedure over the other and was told "not really, they both do all the proceedures." So the surgery date was set with Dr. Clark. Now I'm feeling aprehensive and concerned :confused: , with surgery set for Oct. 31, I'm wondering if I should see if I could change Drs., (?) Any thoughts, anyone?

Signgirl:

Dr Terricina is wonderful! I can't recommend him enough!

I am sure you will like him.

Signgirl - I asked for Dr. T, after going to the seminar of Dr. Clarks, just because I read that he did more lap bands and I'm nervous enough. :) Dr. Clark said at the seminar that he specialized in the bypass or he did more of the bypass or something like that. Maybe I just assumed at that point that Dr. T did more of the lap band. If my surgery was already scheduled I wouldn't change. Please don't let my weird ways change your mind. :Banane20:

I got everything to the center on Friday the 7th and they told me they would try and get it submitted on Friday the 14th. I'm in the waiting mode.

Donna

Gina & Signgirl,

I'm approved and scheduled! I'm having the surgery October 23rd with Dr. Terracina. Cat is putting my paperwork in the mail tomorrow. :) I do have a question though - what is the $720.00 fee that the surgery center requires? Just wondering.

Gina - your weight loss is still amazing and you really seem to have a good handle on all this. I'll keep learning from you! :D

Donna

Hey Donna!!!!!! You're approved! Yeah! Thanks for your comments re: which surgeon. I called and spoke to

Cat...she clarified thing for me and offered an appt. w/Dr. Clark, to rest my concerns, but I was satisfied with the answers she provided....sooooooo, It's Dr. Clark, and I'm still bringin' up the rear, with me being the last to be banded in October (31st)....so please, let me know how you all are doing/did, and any "pearls of wisdom"! Donna the 720.00 covers a laundry-list of incidentals, including your 3 1/2 hr. class to prepare for surgery, unlimited visits with the dietician for 6 mos., other info. re fills and discounts at health & fitness centers, etc...